Notices

desperate to change my life

Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again.....
the only time I think about alcohol is when I share here or in my AA meetings. I am confident as a non drinker....and so grateful to be one

Yes by the time I stopped...my social life revolved around drinking..and drinkers.
Heck...I worked in the hospitality industry and had for years..I was surrounded by alcohol
I changed jobs...took an office position.

I told my social circle...all excessive drinkers...I had joined AA....was heading into a sober future .my apartment was now a non drinking zone
they thought I had lost my mind. Most did drift away....our common bond was booze. Since I quit 22 years ago.36 died from alcohol related causes.
What a waste...a tragic needless waste..

The AA group I found was made up of mostly singles...and I was divorced we did all sorts of interesting things outside of meetings...we had a sober blast..

Hope youfind something that gives you purpose and joy...I certainly have.

Last edited by CarolD; 08-01-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iwantanewlife View Post
Sometimes the task at hand feels overwhelming! Do you grow stronger with each day of sobriety? Will I get to a point where I feel more certain that I will always chose sobriety, when I feel like I can trust myself again to make healthy & wise decisions?
If you're an alcoholic, then when you stop drinking, things may possibly get worse for you. I was caught in that ruddy awful place of not being able to continue drinking, but not being able to live sober. Maybe you're there now? It sounds like you could be.

Out of sheer desperation, I joined A.A.; I had to do something - A.A. was possibly my last resort prior to suicide.

I'm not a 'God person'; I have no religious or spiritual background; and cutting a long story short, again in mental pain I found someone in A.A. to guide me through their 12 Step program and my life has dramatically changed, and by that I mean my external circumstances aren't that much different (apart from I'm paying the bills now, and have a little more money), but it's changed inside; I do feel far far stronger, my relationships have improved no end, I'm back in contact with my Mother (who had disowned me and I hadn't seen in 11 years), I'm happier, and more peaceful; and believe it or not I found a meaning to life in A.A. (and that's a very common experience; A.A. gives you a meaning to life).

In fact on the subject of happiness; I used to think happiness was going from one 'happy event' to another; distracting myself from my negative internal condition; but it's not; it's the removal of that obsession to drink (A.A. can show you how to do this), it's not getting chased by bailiffs, it's not feeling 20 years older than what you were feeling like, it's the removal of fear and anxiety - when you've let go of all this stuff, you're left with happiness.

Try it; what have you got to lose apart from your unhappiness?

I wish you the best.

Tosh
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Iwantanewlife

I have been reading about the differences between the 12 steps programs and the rational recover/addictive voice method. Has any one got any thoughts about which methods work best?
there are actually quite a number of approaches - here's some links to get you started, if you're interested

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D