Notices

Are alcoholics meant to be selfish

Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

The act of drinking in itself is selfish. If anyone drinks alcoholically, they are selfish. My entire thoughts and day revolved around drinking and getting my next drink. How is that not selfish? Now, I have quit drinking and worked on the symptoms of why I drank. I am recovering and don't perceive myself to be overly selfish. However, I do believe that when it comes to recovery, with out best interest in mind, we have to be selfish to some degree. Outside of recovery, in general, I am not selfish.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
~sb

So, there does not seem to be a correlation to other programs, really..
and the anger still seems misdirected. 76 days and feeling dazed and confused, but soberer than i was 77 days ago!

YaY sobriety, no matter the method. AA, in the beginning and now realizes it's not the only method.

Just don't drink or use! YAY US!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

All I can say is that the only way I could get sober was by learning to be selfish. One of the reasons I drank was to mask the pain I felt as I put everyone elses needs before my own for decades.

Now I put myself first and I'm happy and sober and I have to guard against the trap of ever being selfless again.

But thats just me

Btw, willpower had everything to do with my drinking and nothing to do with my sobriety
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

When every ounce of our being is focused on getting the next dose of whatever down our necks, of course we are acting selfishly. Were we born with 'a selfish gene' (sic) or did the booze bring out the worst in us?

Doesn't matter to me. If I engage intellectually with 'it', I'll start having a dialogue, rationalising, romanticising . . .living in the future / past . . . .

I'm thinking of sobriety like learning the violin (not that I play the violin) - I have to understand it non-intellectually, in my blood and bones by DOING it, every day.

Thinking just gets me drunk.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Why is any type of bashing even going on in here? Shouldn't all of these negative posts be deleted, it is very disconcerning on all ends. Peace and keep all the hurtful comments to yourself. Whatever works and stop all of the bitter remarks and love one another, PEACE!

<3 Stacy
Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

after my last post on this thread....posts and those that quoted them have been removed.

I was hopeing not to close this thread however I guess I was naive ....it's now closed

SR may not be the site that is useful for you.....snipeing and bichering is not what we are here for.