Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The positives and negatives of using a psychlogist

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When I hit bottom almost 3 years ago it was a combination of out of control drinking and being BiPolar 2. I attended an outpatient clinic for six weeks and worked with psychologists, counselors and a psychiatrist who put me on tons of drugs. One of the rules of leaving the program was to have a doctor, a psychiatrist and a therapist lined up where I lived. I did all that but ending up changing psychiatrists (the first one was just a pill pusher) and changing therapists. My old therapist was very vague about her questions and seemed annoyed when I didn't have an answer. She also became very unprofessional about money and bad mouthed other therapist in town.

I also joined AA, got a sponsor and began working the steps. It was a farce. I couldn't get myself to believe many of the things they wanted me to believe and it was so male dominated, ugh!

I want to work a sober, agnostic program with people who want to do the same. Contact me with your thoughts. Thanks, oggie.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I moved your post over to Alcoholism so it could be seen by more members
We do have many members winning over alcohol useing a variety of methods....
Sorry to know of these difficulties.

This group might be useful for you...

http://draonline.org/dra_q_and_a.html

And here is one for women only

http://womenforsobriety.org/beta2/

Last edited by CarolD; 07-29-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
abc

I'm agnostic also. Rational Recovery is a good approach for agnostics, read the book and see what you think I hear you about shrinks. Seems kinda a scam.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in the process of seeing my new psychiatrist on Wednesday I haven't had one since August last year. I need to have one because I've suffered from mental illness. They have taught me alot about alcohol and alcoholism over the years and knew I had a problem but didn't do anything about it for a long time 13+ years. They were saying if you keep going the was your going you might as well put yourself on the transplant list. I've started going to AA meetings once a week just to touch base and get a bit of face to face support. I've also read Rational Recovery which was very good.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome Oggie!

I love the individual support of a therapist, but I know it's not for everyone and finding the right person makes a huge difference. I recently worked with a counselor who had a Motivational Interviewing approach. I loved the freedom and space of that approach.

In terms of recovery groups, I liked LifeRing, Women for Sobriety, and SMART. I would have tried Secular Organizations for Sobriety if the meetings were not too far away. There are many options, and most organizations have online options.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Therapy is good esp. if you are using drugs/alcohol as self medication for depression. You have to find the right therapist though "shop around". I saw a Cognitive Behaviorial Therapist who deals with the present not so much into the past. They help you find new coping mechanisms for destructive behavior its very effective if you work the program. Unfortunately, I cant afford it right now so I am just seeing a regular therapist but I like her. I saw her a few months ago then stopped now bk bc I am not into AA. Don't let one bad therapist scare you away from psychologists there are a lot of good ones out there.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by oggie View Post
I want to work a sober, agnostic program with people who want to do the same. Contact me with your thoughts. Thanks, oggie.
I think you might like SMART Recovery. Come on over and give us a try!

SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction

OTT
Old 07-30-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Try listening to AA speakers, read the book Alcoholics Anonymous (both online) and keep an open mind. You are not alone and you aren't unique. You are just another drunk like me and millions of others.

Do you want to be right or do you want to be sober and think clearly?

Aa online chatroom is open 24 hours a day.

Rational recovery is just paying for behavior modification through negative (self) behavioral conditioning. I stopped drinking, alcohol is no longer my problem. Today I am learning to live life on life's terms.

Best wishes to you, whatever you choose.

Last edited by sugarbear1; 07-30-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
I think you might like SMART Recovery. Come on over and give us a try!

SMART RecoveryŽ | Self Help for Alcoholism & Addiction

OTT
I think i'll be heading along something of those lines. All the mention of relying on a "higher Power" and such makes me want to avoid going one one crutch to another.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

AA lets you believe what you want. It's one alcoholic helping another that keeps me sober. Like in SR.

AA knows there are other ways to stay sober. As long as you are sober, that's cool!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The best tools or "programs" in my opinion, for someone like you anyway (and like me), are AVRT in Rational Recovery & SMART.

Save your therapist for non-addiction related issues. And make sure you connect with a professional and ethical therapist. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome...

I moved your post over to Alcoholism so it could be seen by more members
We do have many members winning over alcohol useing a variety of methods....
Sorry to know of these difficulties.

This group might be useful for you...

Questions and Answers about DRA

And here is one for women only

Women for Sobriety, Inc.

Welcome...as well. We will be here to support you every step of the way. We promise...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
The best tools or "programs" in my opinion, for someone like you anyway (and like me), are AVRT in Rational Recovery & SMART.

Save your therapist for non-addiction related issues. And make sure you connect with a professional and ethical therapist. Good luck!
That's how it's looking so far.