Notices

My progress so far

Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My progress so far

A week ago I joined SR, and have been reading several posts of former drinkers and those currently in my situation of being in the process of becoming a former drinker. First off I want to say that it's been very inspiring.

My original plan was to go cold turkey, but understanding the physical danger in that, I've spent the last week steadily introducing my body to a lower intake of daily alcohol with the idea/hope of easing my body into a smooth landing. The week started out Sunday with my usual 12+ beers, and each evening since I've reduced it by a couple - Monday was a 6 pack of 16oz beers + 2 more 16oz singles, Tuesday was 'just' the 6 pack of 16oz, then last night a standard 12oz 6 pack.

This also has resulted in me cutting off earlier and switching to water until close to bedtime, and for the first time in what seems like forever I've gone to bed 2 straight nights under a mild to zero influence. Last night I had the craving to go get some more beer since it was only about 8:00, but refused to let myself break the trend I've been setting this week. And today, despite only consuming half of my usual amount of alcohol last night, I don't feel any real discomfort or edginess. Granted I had trouble going right to sleep and staying asleep, but I woke up feeling more energetic than usual despite not getting a full night's sleep.

I know I haven't begun to quit and won't even deceive myself by saying that I'm "quitting" just yet because I haven't faced the challenge of an alcohol-free day. But it's been suprisingly easier on me than I thought at least up to this point, and I'm optimistic that I will be able to get it done.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hope that works for you. I went down that road once and the tapering lasted a couple of years. Funny, I ended up drinking more than when I started the taper. But that's just me. I hope you can put the bottle (or can) down whatever it takes. I do know the longer you wait the harder it gets. Take care.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I think your headed in the right direction for sure. But in all fairness, a true alcoholic trying to regulate there own drinking rarely end up sucessful. I am not by any means saying you cant, but Im just speaking from personal experiance. I tried to get sober like that before, and something during the week would happen and BAM - I was back to drinking like a fish.

I went cold turkey myself. Yes it was dangerous for the amount of alcohol I drank. I was drinking a liter+ of vodka a night for years. And yes detoxing SUCKED,

But if your going to do it that way, you might want to call upon a good friend or family member to watch over you. To help make you are actually consuming less and less. Someone who isnt afraid to **** you off if ya get where Im coming from.

But you can do it bud!!

Stay strong my friend!

-Ryan
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm going for a quick but steady taper down to zero .. I'm looking at Monday to start actually quitting - 1st day of the month to mark the first day of sobriety. I definitely don't want the goal to be to just moderate myself down to 2 or 3 drinks a day for any lengthy period before making an attempt at quitting, because while that would be a vast improvement, I know that would only last so long before I figure "it won't hurt to have just one binge night since I know I'll be able to work myself back down to a couple a day." I'll be right back at square 1.

Thanks for the kind wishes, guys. I've seen and heard enough stories to know that the road to recovery is a difficult road no matter how you try to take it, so I'm glad to have found SR and those who have been down that road successfully.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I certainly am glad you are in the process of finding a sober future

Hope it works out for you ...
Old 07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VirtualInsanity View Post
I'm going for a quick but steady taper down to zero .. I'm looking at Monday to start actually quitting
Good luck, VI. Be really vigilant about the physical symptoms, while I was in rehab a girl who had gone through detox and had been in the inpatient part of the facility for an additional week or so had a grand mal seizure. Trust me - you do not want that to happen to you.