Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Substance abuse usually stems from deeper rooted issues?

Notices

Substance abuse usually stems from deeper rooted issues?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
abc

I've always thought my alcoholism was caused by deeper issues that I've had since childhood like depression, anxiety, low self-esteem. But when I embarked on this quitting journey I read a number of books on the topic. They all claim that deeper issues may be present, but that's not why we drink.

"Under the Influence" claims that it is all genetic. You are 4x more likely to be an alcoholic if your biological parents were. And it has nothing to do with where or who raised you and how, nor your mental problems. They publish statistics to support their claim.

"Rational Recovery" claims it has nothing to do with any other problems you have. He says you are a drunk just because you love to drink and have no self-control. I kinda like this theory because of its sheer elegance.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I used alcohol to feel "comfortable" in my skin and to escape from reality.
I remember, since a young age, "working" at being happy. I couldn't find it.
I thought I found happiness in the drink. May be I did once.
I spent years chasing that happiness I felt once from a drink. Never finding it.
Now I was not only "not happy" but I was depressed and ashamed and guilt ridden.
I needed meds.
I quit drinking and I still needed meds.
It's working for me today.
I've never been so happy.

Subsequently, both parents are alcoholics. May be I was genetically predisposed but it doesn't matter to me anymore Why. It just is.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I drank for many different reasons....growing up my parents drank heavily so I was lead to believe it was normal....my first drunk was at the age of 13.....and never looked back.... I don't blame my parents for my drinking obviously they didn't pour it down my throat, it just made it easier I guess... so as I got older the drinking just became a part of me...rarely a weekend without it....then it got to be every other day.... it slowly took over my life....18 months free of the beast! and loving it!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have done much research in the past few days and most alcoholics from what I read have underlying issues. I know I do. I had a very abusive childhood, bad marraige and just a tough road, which I know led to my addicition. For many years I was a social drinker and didn't obsess over alcohol. But as more knocks came my way and I ended up alone and lonely I started the heavy binge drinking. I just hope I can get this demon off my shoulder.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

in my case I do have deeper issues, some I was not aware of until recently, more just keeps being revealed over time, for me anyway.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I believe 100% that unless I find out the reasons why we drank and resolve them I will continue to relapse into addiction.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My mother's mother was a raging abusive alcoholic. My mother then was afraid of alcohol but was still raging and abusive. I went through years of therapy to deal with that but then became an alcoholic. Imagine that. I was honestly never much of a drinker. It just crept up on me. I'm proud of my 7 days but just an hour ago I had such an urge to drink I was literally paralyzed. But it passed...before I drank I was addicted to being in control. I just want to start brand new.