Notices

Job Seeking In Sobriety

Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Job Seeking In Sobriety

So I've been sober for a while now & it's time to get back into the real world. I have not worked in a few years & am quite overwhelmed at the prospect of looking for a job. I have experience working in hotels and high end restaurants as a server, bartender ect... I'm quite good at conning people out of money so I'm looking into sales. Believe it or not panhandling or begging for money is not easy! I'm not sure about how to explain my last few years of work history? I am not going the honest route and telling future employers that I was too busy drinking Vodka & smoking cocaine so I wasn't able to keep a job. Any suggestions on how to explain the lack of work history?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
... I'm not sure about how to explain my last few years of work history? I am not going the honest route and telling future employers that I was too busy drinking Vodka & smoking cocaine so I wasn't able to keep a job. Any suggestions on how to explain the lack of work history?
LOL! Except for the cocaine part, your story sounds just like mine. I had a 18 month gape in my employment history that raised a lot of eyebrows with potential employers.

I ended up taking an OTR trucking job just to get some solid work history. I had to apply to about a dozen different companies before I found one that failed to run a thurough background check on me, but once I had my foot int the door they quit looking. The only down side is they worked me like an indentured servant 28 days a month.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found it necessary to face my past. Because of that it has absolutely no power over me today. My past can do me no harm today, and most all of it has become an asset. You can try the route of embellishing your history, but my experience and observation is that it usually will bite you on the ass. It's more difficult to make up a bunch of crap and then keep up with it, and not get caught, than to present who I am. At some point in time, if you want to recover from alcoholism, you're going to have to do some pretty uncomfortable things. Dealing with my past was one of them. Anyhow, getting a job is one thing, keeping a job is something entirely different. That was something that took me a lot longer to progress in, and took a lot more change. A sponsor's guidance can be really helpful. If you have sponsorship like mine, you'll be told things like, "How about showing up on time" " And while you're there, give an honest days work and at an agreed upon period of time doing that, they'll give you money" Because of that type of guidance, I can stand and be counted today.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm quite good at conning people out of money so I'm looking into sales.

Sorry but "sales" isn't "conning people out of money". Sales is selling a product or service to a person or company that needs it.

If you want to be successful in sales it would be best to go in with that mindset. As far as your work history, if you don't plan on being honest, you could say you took a hiatus to find yourself, or you took time off to travel, or you were attending school.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Justfor1.... I can relate to that.Ive waited tables ,bartend,and worked in management for years...this past 2 years since my drinking has been worse I havent been able to work....I get way to shaky carrying or handing anyone anything....Ive watched myself carry a tray of drinks and I let my anxiety get me so bad that I was shaking and spilt them all over....MANY times....plus I dont have the same confidence as before so I dont interview well at all..and I am not as friendly to customers....Now I HAVE to go back to work to help repair the financial mess my drinking has caused and I am scared ********.Will I make it through an interview with my old charm?Will I be able to deal with people again on that level without feeling judged and anxious?....its scary.Getting hired is the easy part....I lie on my resume to fill in the gaps...luckily my husband and I own a small business as well so I use that as my excuse for haitus .Ive actually landed 4 decent jobs over the past 2 years but havent made it long because Id slip up and get too drunk and not go in ....I use to be so dependable and hardworking a and lately...not at all.I am only on my day 5 sober but Ive set myself a goal to get a job next week...no matter what or how anxious I feel about it...I need to not only for the money but to keep me busy (idle hands are the devils playground).Good luck to you,maybe just tell them you just wanted to take a little time off for yourself?While I do believe honesty is great,I do not think that coworkers or future employers need to know your personal business....that ALWAYS leads to gossip and trouble which in turn may pressure you to slip ....
Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I found one application even asking if I have ever been convicted of a misdemenor? I really don't know if I have or not. I have several arrests but believe most of those were dismissed or I was given a probation type deal. I have one felony that was completely dismissed as well (due to police error) so I can answer no to the felonies within the past 7 years question. I am willing to pretty much work anywhere although bartending might not be good for me. While my job skills are a little bit rusty, my street sense and survival skills are pretty good. I would be dead otherwise.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

maybe you were writing a novel...your life story?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Justfor1))) - I have a similar issue. I was an RN for 12 years, lost that career to addiction, got my first server job while still in custody (work/custody program) and that ended after being robbed twice, getting injured, and suing workmen's comp (do NOT mention the lawsuit). Ended up at McDonald's and am trying to find another part time server job to go along with my other self-employment job and school.

I went for an interview, the other day, and for the first time went in there with the feeling of "let me tell you what all I have to offer". Had I been able to work full time, I'd have gotten the job, but I can't, so he's talking to the other mgr to see if they can work something out.

As for why I left nursing and am working at McD's? I tell them I got burnt out and had family deaths/illnesses (that part isn't totally off).

I also had a felony that was revoked when I completed the first offender stuff. I went to get a copy of my rap sheet at the county courthouse/jail. It shows a misdemeanor DUI in '94, and the violation of probation. Having talked to several people who are employers, they often do a background check with filters..depending on the job, they will just ask about felonies or felonies/misdemeanors. I'm honest about the misdemeanor...17 years ago, and don't want to get a job then lose it when the background check comes in. Legally, I don't have to mention the felony or violation probation.

I've been reminded, several times, by people who know me here that people all over the country are struggling with employment, I don't have to go in there and say "oh, I was too busy smoking crack and running from the cops", I can figure out what works best for me.

I will have to be totally honest once I get my degree (another area of health care) but by then, I'll have several years of steady employment.

So, sorry this was long, but pump yourself up on what you have to offer, get to where you can walk into a place and feel like "you'd be really glad to have me working for you", and then let it go. Find out what your rap sheet shows (I had to pay something like $10 but got it instantly).

Believe in yourself, know that you deserve the good in life, and there's always "family health issues". FWIW, my first job obviously knew my history (I had to go back to the diversion center every night) but the 2nd one? No one knows...none of their business.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
I'm quite good at conning people out of money so I'm looking into sales.

Sorry but "sales" isn't "conning people out of money". Sales is selling a product or service to a person or company that needs it.

If you want to be successful in sales it would be best to go in with that mindset. As far as your work history, if you don't plan on being honest, you could say you took a hiatus to find yourself, or you took time off to travel, or you were attending school.
The travel bit might work... but you need to get creative and concoct a nice long story of your travels Go for some really interesting detail.

And Supercrew's right about sales... you must absolutely know that you are providing a legitimate good/service to a select group of people who want and need that good or service.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And it's a good idea to make a list highlighting your personal qualities you consider your strengths... they usually ask you to tell a little bit about yourself and to give a strength or weakness... Have that nailed down so that you don't have to fish for it. Show them you know exactly who you are, what you have to offer... personality-wise.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I won't go the 100% honest route concerning my past. I have been burned too many times by employers/future employers who discriminated against me. It's a problem I see with some folks in the rooms of AA who feel they should be 100% honest always. I assume it's still a rough economy out there & people are clawing and scratching for jobs. I did not have to worry about the economy when I was drinking/using because I was a homeless vagrant who bothered people for money or ran scams downtown. Believe it or not I think it would be fun to work right now. Even McDonalds would be an adventure for me! I'm gonna speak to a attorney regarding by past court issues. I know an excellent one in the program.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I won't go the 100% honest route concerning my past.
i understand how you feel. even thinking about working again scares me to death. but it is a new beginning. a new job will be something that can finally be exciting again. a clean slate. nobody knows the old you. they only will see the person that walks in the door. good luck! i can only imagine how you must feel.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So I've been sober for a while now & it's time to get back into the real world. I have not worked in a few years & am quite overwhelmed at the prospect of looking for a job. I have experience working in hotels and high end restaurants as a server, bartender ect... I'm quite good at conning people out of money so I'm looking into sales. Believe it or not panhandling or begging for money is not easy! I'm not sure about how to explain my last few years of work history? I am not going the honest route and telling future employers that I was too busy drinking Vodka & smoking cocaine so I wasn't able to keep a job. Any suggestions on how to explain the lack of work history?
You were on medical leave. You have a fatal illness that is now in remission. You might also add, 'Now that I beat that disease, I feel like I can conquer the world..."
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The bad thing about tellin a story is remembering the whole story. Honesty is the best policy for me. That being said, I have held back on some of the details that were not pertinent to any application I've filled out. Felonies are the only thing that can come back and bite you when you fail to disclose them. Keep trying and try to look at it as a new adventure. That, for me, takes some of the fear out of it. When's the last time you were excited about something and not fearful. It's the same feeling kinda, just perceived differently.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You can find jobs in resturants that have no liquor license.
I did when I moved to ga. and Ryans is a chain operation.
Yes the tips were smaller. but tables turn faster when no one drinks alcohol.

Plus employment gaps are not unusual...

Last edited by CarolD; 07-26-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I never thought of that but yes the tables will turn over faster. I remember working the smoking section of a restaurant once and those tables never seemed to leave. The smokers tended to drink a lot as well.