Notices

About to get it started

Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About to get it started

Hey everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

In my late teens/early 20's I would drink a few nights a week, but pot was my buzz of choice. I smoked daily until I was about 24 before quitting with no withdrawals whatsoever. Since then I've smoked it on a small handful of occasions, but not since 4 years ago and I have no desire to again. That sounds all fine, but I don't exactly pat myself on the back because the smoking was replaced with drinking which I've been doing daily since I gave up pot, going on 11 years now.

This is the same song and dance for most people who drink, but I started out with "just" a 6 pack an evening. Since then it's gradually gotten to be more, though it varies from 10 or 12 up to an 18 pack, or even a case on a weekend day. Now and then I'll get just a 6 pack of 16oz's, but end up making another beer run when I'm down to the last one (for the record the store is within walking distance, so I'm not getting behind the wheel).

This is my first attempt at sobriety. For the past few months I've decided I want to quit, but haven't gotten around to committing to trying until now. Of course the health concerns are a given reason, especially considering I lost my dad to kidney cancer because he drank. Socially it doesn't affect me, nor does it affect my work performance or time/relationship with my family. But I spend probably between $400-$500 a month on alcohol, and while I still can afford all my living expenses that's as much as $6,000 a year I'm literally pissing away.

Basically, I'm gonna remind myself that I have no issue going the 9 hours a day without a drink while I'm at work, so the next 6 hours before I go to bed will be no different. I know that's a lot easier said than done since it's been routine for alcohol to be involved in those 6 hours, but I've always been a fairly easily motivated person and that $400+ extra a month would be like getting on hell of a pay raise.

I would like to know what method worked/is working for those who have been successful?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 2 so I really can't give any advice but your story sounds a lot like mine. Started with a few brews after work with the co-workers, 5 years later I found myself polishing off a twelver nightly, then a twelver and a 22oz, eventually I got to an 18 pack a night. It's a disgusting progressive disease but let me tell you, even with some mild withdrawl symptoms, I feel 100% better than I did yesterday morning. I also quit smoking pot at the same time, I liked the combo of a pot/alcohol buzz. Figured if I'm going to quit drinking, might as well quit the pot too (trigger).. Best of luck, lets do this!

I also spend about 400 bucks a month on booze, that's an added bonus to quitting.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me focusing on things that used to be meaningful to me before I gave myself up to booze really helps. I'm exercizing again, eating healthy, reading, caring about myself and others--living life on its terms, not alcohol's. I feel so much better emotionally, physically, mentally, spiritually. I used to think it didn't effect me socially, work-wise or with family but being away from it for awhile I realize that my view of reality was distorted and blurred by the alcohol. I believe heavy regular drinking does impact our lives in many ways we may not be aware of. It changes brain chemistry and much more. If it didn't impact the way we felt and interacted we probably wouldn't drink. What would be the point. Be determined and strong, seek advice and support, believe in the possible and it can all get so good again. Welcome.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, VirtualInsanity!

What worked for me? Well... I tried controlling and moderating my drinking for the past 7-10 (drinking in a problematic way for about 15 years total... with a few periods of sobriety interspersed) years or so... there's a hazy line there and I'm not so sure anything I did was of much consequence... other than to just prolong my drinking problems and compound things to the point that I wasted a good bit of my time.

For the past 1 - 2 years I've known it's truly time to quit now. I'm 34 and the time is right... guess you could say I've "matured". My mom's death due to drug overdose complications and her being a lifelong alcoholic was probably the big catalyst as well. I also bought my first house 3.5 years ago and the thought of losing it is huge in my mind also.

June 28th I quit. That simple. And I did it without any type of program. I've dabbled in several programs... WFS, SMART, Moderation Managment... SR and RR lately.

What worked for me was this: I see that I can not drink... not a drop. It always leads to getting drunk. Or... if I didn't get drunk, I sure was distraught that I couldn't! Then, I just told myself: I can NEVER drink again. I CHOOSE to never drink again, because if I do... I'm doomed. It's my choice, and it's also my choice to do it this particular way. It just makes the most sense.

I just got sick of trying to quit and not quitting... the novel idea that I might just stop on a dime... with no other outside help, no good luck charms, nothing... that really appealed to me. And I knew no one but me could do that for myself.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

I agree with Fitz, you may believe that the alcohol was not effecting work/relationships and social life. However, I think you will find in sobriety that you will begin to see things differently and come to the conclusion that actually it impacted and you compensated your time and life for it, in more ways than you currently realise.

I know I did. Loads of support here, you are in the right place
Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

I'm pleased you want to head into a clean and sober future...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
I quit drinking 3.5 years ago, and I have not had a drop since. I went to AA first, on and off for three years. It is a logical place to start, but it doesn't
work for me. It does work for a lot of others, so it would not hurt you to check it out.
I stay sober because I don't want to drink, because that road will take me right off the cliff. Nothing good happens when I drink. For me. stopping was
the easiest part. Trying to become sane again, that's another story which I will tell when I get there...

I exercise, sit zazen (Zen meditation), do yoga, read, and of course go to this site. It works for me, and I am happy.

I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about alcoholism. This will help you to be at peace w/your disease.

I wish you all the best, and I hope you can find peace in sobriety.