Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

90 days sober today! First AA meeting since being sober

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today marks 90 days for me. Never could imagine getting 90 days but it has happened. I decided to go to an AA meeting tonight first one in about 2 years. I recognized 5 people from last time I went it was amazing. I will continue to grow and not rule out anything that will enhance and improve my sobriety. I'm considering going again next week and maybe making it a weekly thing.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations checkmate!! Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah!!! Good for you!!! Congratulations!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Congrats on the 90 days and making a meeting!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

wow! double good news from you Check......
Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Congrats Checkmate, 90 days is a great accomplishment.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Checkmate
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations checkmate

D
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on 90 days!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats, Checkmate!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think that being opened minded to anything that will enhance your recovery is a very wise choice. Making wise choices at 90 days is something of a miracle in my book. Keep it up. Oh yah, the difference between wise person and smart person is, a smart person knows that a tomato is a fruit, a wise person knows not to put it in a fruit salad. Way to go on 90 days.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A friend of mine works for the matthew project well she used to, and I remember her telling me once that they see quite a few people each day of the week and I recall her telling me that around only 25% of people who turn up for her meetings are genuine and their for the right reasons,and the other 75% actually looks forward to the meeting finishing so they can have their next drink.
When going to AA meetings its about getting better, you have to want to go for this reason.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gwizz people go to meetings for various reasons. I went to the AA meeting last night because I wanted some face to face interaction. I also got to 90 days sober last night which I was very proud of my accomplishment and I wanted to share my gratitude with people in the same postition as me.

There were 5 members that I recognized from the last time I was there which was great. I don't agree with your friend and the percentages are most likely greater for people wanting sobriety. I myself turned up to the meeting to solidify and enhance my recovery and get some ideas and relate to other people.

Many people go to AA because they have made a decision they do not want to drink anymore and are looking for support and help. Not so they can finish the meeting and have a drink lmao. Something that another member says for the night might be the thing that will keeps them sober for the day.

I see your new here Gwizz welcome how is your sobriety going?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done. I also passed the 90 day mark earlier this week. It feels so good, doesn't it? For me, I attended an AA meeting virtually every day, on the basis that I wanted to 90 in 90. That really helped. But in some ways, you may get even more out of AA at this stage in your sobriety. I feel that my AA meetings are now more "efficient" as I the language and how to apply the ideas to my life more affectively than before.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
Gwizz people go to meetings for various reasons. I went to the AA meeting last night because I wanted some face to face interaction. I also got to 90 days sober last night which I was very proud of my accomplishment and I wanted to share my gratitude with people in the same postition as me.

There were 5 members that I recognized from the last time I was there which was great. I don't agree with your friend and the percentages are most likely greater for people wanting sobriety. I myself turned up to the meeting to solidify and enhance my recovery and get some ideas and relate to other people.

Many people go to AA because they have made a decision they do not want to drink anymore and are looking for support and help. Not so they can finish the meeting and have a drink lmao. Something that another member says for the night might be the thing that will keeps them sober for the day.

I see your new here Gwizz welcome how is your sobriety going?
People are ready to jump down peoples throats on this forum, doesn't matter what I say I tend to get lynched every time.
I was just saying many people go to AA meeting for help, but their are also a good percentage who still drink but it makes them feel good inside because they went.
I am not going into my controlled sobriety has I got told it was not appropriate on a recovery forum.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying, Gwizz. I'm not sure what the Matthew Project is, but I'm assuming it is a program for sobriety. I firmly believe that for any alcoholic to find recovery, there has to be a burning desire to quit. That being said, many recovery programs have people in them that attend for various other reasons than having the burning desire...maybe the court mandates them to go, or maybe it is a way to get their driver's license back, or maybe they have to placate an employer or family member. I know what you are saying. As a matter of fact, I went through a stint with AA way back in the early 80's because the court told me I HAD to go to three meetings. I didn't get the program until ten years later, when I went back with my "burning desire", and it was then that I achieved sobriety through the fellowship.

And Checkmate! Congrats on your 90 days! AA fellowship was extremely important to me in my recovery, and I found my early, rocky sobriety was cemented through contact with others in the fellowship. WTG!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days!