Notices

Day 13

Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13

I'm on day 13 and so far so good. According to my math, two more days and I'll have gone the longest period without a single drink since I was at least 15 (I'm now 41.)
It's been surprisingly easy but that's because I've been accountable to my doctor, who's been monitoring my liver enzymes. It's been easy for me to tell myself and everyone else that I simply can't drink (for the next week, then next two weeks etc.) on doctor's orders until I get my next blood test and wait for the results.
This method of accountability should work great until my liver enzymes normalize but it's after that I'm concerned about. I see an Addiction Counsellor periodically and of course he recommends some form of group counselling. I consider this forum to be a form of group counselling but does anyone have any recommendations other then A.A.? Thanks,
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you are seeking help from your doctor. What helps me is reading and posting at SR, AA, my sponsor in AA, and taking it one day at time. There is a section on here for other methods to sobriety....have you read there?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by unger894 View Post
it's after that I'm concerned about. I see an Addiction Counsellor periodically
I feel ya..... I had an alcohol tether on for 9 months. I knew that sucker would keep me from drinking for at least that long......but, like you said, it was the time after that I was worried about. I knew what I was waaaay likely to do.

I hung with a substance abuse counselor for a while, then, over time, AA kinda grew on me. On thing that counselor reeeeally encouraged - try to stay willing and open......don't be afraid to try something new, and don't be so arrogant as to think that I will know what's best for me / what I need. I was still the person who found a way to rationalize all sorts of crazy behavior around my drinking....
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Good job and keep it up I need the encouragement too so thank you
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please do check and see if there are SMART meetings in your area.
Or perhaps a church connection would appeal to you?

Yes do keep posting with us...many of our members are winning over alcohol useing all sorts of programs and ideas....
This can be true for you too.

Me? when my doctor diagnosed me withsituational depression he sggested I quit and join AA.
I was not thrilled to do either...but off I went...and there I've stayed. The wisest move I ever made...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Unger, I'm about to start group counseling through the local mental health center. It's a substance abuse group counseling program. That might be an option. Doesn't have to be AA. I also attend online SMART meetings on occasion. Just throwing out some ideas to you...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well liver enzmyes are as good a reason as any to stop drinking but normalized enzmyes are no reason to start again unless you want a roller coaster ride. I think eventually the desire for sobriety needs to be internalized and personalized. There are many paths to sustained sobriety, A.A. being one of those. I know for me the longer I stay sober the more I find a variety of resources and methods that feel right for me. I think given the chance you'll find the same.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input everyone! There aren't any SMART meetings where I live but I travel every week and there are a bunch of other cities in which I can attend.