Notices

29 Days sober today... with a relapse...

Old 07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi abd. Great if you think you have the ability to be a casual drinker! I think a lot of us here have wished to be able to do that aswell but we have realised its just not possible!

You maybe able to moderate your drinking. But if you are like me, I thought I could. I would go for periods sober like you then get back into drinking slowly the first time then it would get worse each time drinking until I was back into my old bad habbits watching my life being wasted!

Take care!
Cairns
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I do not want this to become a regular thing but I would like to be able to be a "normal drinker" you know go out a couple times a month and have a couple drinks and be able to go home and go to bed without wanting more.

There has been hundreds of Threads like this hoping for the same thing. The majority of them ended the same way, badly. I had the same experience as AVRT. Was successful in moderating a few times. Before I knew it, I was on a 9 day drinking binge waking up on day 10 to 36 empty wine bottles and a empty fifth of vodka. That was what it took to finally get me to realize I just can't drink like normal people. Moderation is out of the question. Today, I just don't drink. I can't.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

dont let your self fool you . you know the answer. sober life is the best life PERIOD!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by abd112 View Post

As the night went on I realized what a great time I was having, had a few beers, a couple shots, and a mixed drink and now at the end of the night I feel great. I left the bar and didn't even think about another drink (very unusual for me, usually once I start I can't stop). I feel like I was able to go out and have a couple drinks enjoy the night with my sister and feel good about it. Although, I do not want to drink as often and as much as I was before.
This is the sneaky thing about testing the waters - the initial first experience "back" usually feels relieving, freeing, "not so awful" afterall. All of your feelings are not unique - most of us have been where you're at, and we feel like we will be the different ones. I have never met anyone who has been successful
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I would like to be able to be a "normal drinker" you know go out a couple times a month and have a couple drinks and be able to go home

I counted the number of drinks you mentioned in your original post. It is way more than "a couple," I think you are fooling yourself.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

The OP last posted on July 24, 2011. No news since then.......
Old 04-06-2020, 10:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just joined, sober 28 days

Been following this forum for awhile. Being able to lay my head on my sober pillow and waking sober is the best feeling there is. Not making any promises that I’ll never drink again, but it won’t be today. I’ll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow gets here.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Neil.
Feel free to start your own thread - you'll get more response that way

D
Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mad4Chaos View Post
My oldest son tells me it's a habit for me instead of an addiction. There's no way I can let myself believe that. You stumbled & fell. Learn from this experience & keep on the path.
I'm so happy you won't let yourself believe that. Because how would he know? I'm sure he's saying that because he loves you, he doesn't want to label you an "addict". I'm just one of those people that want all of us to stop stigmatizing addiction but passing off a habit as somehow not as bad.

I'm sure your son is awesome. I love my sister, and she would always tell me the same thing about me: "you have a bad habit, it's not an addiction". Now that I'm 338 days sober, I realize how crazy that statement is. She can't possibly know how my brain chemicals are reacting, and, even if I wasn't "addicted", people have killed themselves and others over "bad habits" too, so why does it even matter if it's habit or addiction? Does the word change the reality? The reality is that the drinking in our extremes can be deadly, or at least dangerous, or at least an anchor on being our best selves. Good for you for staying strong!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a reminder this thread is nearly 10 years old, but recently bumped.

D
Old 04-09-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

The recommendation for moderate drinking would be no more than four drinks in a night for a woman. I lost count, but I think you had more than four.

Also I don't think doing shots or mixing different types of alcohol together counts as moderate drinking. The one exception I can think of is the actual medical purpose a shot or two of brandy can serve to a person who is in shock (and that's literally one or two, in a specific medical context).

I'm glad you didn't go to bed wanting more though. I think that does mean something, that this may be just a single "lapse" rather than a full relapse. Wishing you all the best.