Notices

Hi, I'm so tired

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm so tired

I have cut down on drinking. I was drinking 6 oz of vodka a night hubby is still drinking. We both work hubby does not think we are a cholholics.
For me 2 days with no drinking then last night I measured out 1oz of vodka mixed with water and drank that. I could not sleep last night and feel so tired today. I do feel alert though not a bit like a hangover. Is it normal not to be able to sleep?
Tonight I'm going to try not to have the 1oz of vodka and drink some pomagrant juice instead. If I have not gone into withdarawel yet is it safe to think I won't.

Thanks

Oh I am a 54 year old women.
Typing on an iPad the kids brought me so please excuses the typing mistakes have not quite got it figured out yet.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I couldn't sleep for daze after quitting drinking. I walked around tired but sober. I'll take that trade off any day. The body and mind will adjust, it just takes the willingness to give it time.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kip....Yes, it's perfectly normal. I went through sleep issues for a while. Thankfully, they seemed to resolve when I stayed sober.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies and Thank younfor this site.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kip, welcome to SR. I was a 50 yr old female when I quit drinking (still female but not still 50 lol) and yes the sleep issues were pretty tough but like MyCool said it's much easier walking around sleepy than having a hangover. Your husband may be right you may not be alcoholics but if alcohol is such an important aspect of your life and doing w/o causes you problems then it does sound like you at least have a problem with alcohol and it's better to quit drinking it. It's odd for me I have lots of issues with food upsetting my stomach so whenever I realize that a particular food is bad for me (onions/mushrooms/pasta/bread...) I give up that food and I might crave it for a few days but then I forget about it, but alcohol always upset my stomach and caused me to have bad hangovers and caused sleep problems but it took me many many years before accepting that I needed to give it up.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, had my 1 oz of vodka 1 hour and 45 mins ago and poured me another but poured it out. That one ounce tasted so good. If I had drank the next one I might have had one more ounce then one more. I keep thinking I want a drink.
When I had the drink tonight I looked at my husband and said oh man that taste sooooo good.

When does your body stop wanting that drink. Thank the good lord I found your forum at least I can read others post and know others have made it so I can to.

This is night 4, I hope I'm lucky and don't have withdrawal I have to work tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Your body will continue to crave alcohol until it is fully out of your system. As long as you continue to drink, your body will want or need it. Once you detox, you may go through a mental obsession, but you can learn to control that. It takes time, but the first step is to stop drinking completely. Good luck and welcome!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

with respect.. Night 4 of what? You're still drinking,which is likely why you haven't experienced withdrawal symptoms.

glad you're here.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not a drop of alcohol for me tonight. No craving either.
Thought I would let you all know. I can't tell anyone else.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Klp999. I am day 66. in my experience the first four days are the hardest and the physical stuff and the deep emotional pangs/disquiet settles. There was several weeks of intense mental 'obsession' (with alcohol / drinking/ not drinking) that is hard to describe as it is different than cravings. I think it really took 8 weeks for this to not become a major focus of my daily thinking. In the last week I am more free mentally but still think about alcohol, and my 'alcohol issues' a lot.

It is great to be able to sleep through the night, have dreams and have periods of intense calm. I am more relaxed and relate to others around me a lot better.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It took me about 2 months of not drinking anything to get back in mental and physical balance. I began to feel better sooner than that time line tho..

I was 52 when I quit drinking...so I know you too can win over alcohol.welcome......

And....I've had to face health issues in the past 22 years since I quit....nothing to do with drinking but I would not have dealt sccessfully with them while drinking.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-21-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

update on me. doing fine haven't had a drink don't seem to be having any cravings. I feel so much better. I used to hate driving to work in the mornings,was never sure if the vodka was out of my system. Had the grand babies yesterday and I felt so patient with them we did art which was really just cutting up paper and gluing and made a bird house out of a water bottle. I think somehow even though I only drank at night starting at 8 till 10 it affected me the whole next day my mind and body would be out of whack.
hubby today made a run to the liquor store and I said don't buy me anything I HAVE STOPPED drinking!!!!! He said he might try drinking less.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know things are smoothing out for you...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you Kip! Being a grandmother is a whole lot more fun sober!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Post Re: Can't sleep

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I couldn't sleep for daze after quitting drinking. I walked around tired but sober. I'll take that trade off any day. The body and mind will adjust, it just takes the willingness to give it time.
Amen...Give time, time. Alcohol can only complicate matters, as you already know. So, I suggest you adopt a sober routine instead, and start enjoying the benefits of this wonderful sober life -one day at a time. We'll be here to support you every step of the way. We promise...

~God bless~
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Klp9999 Good going Klp9999! Keep the progress going until drinking loses its power over you.