Notices

Want to use

Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Want to use

I don't know what to do :/ I'm not even a month sober and I'm getting urges to go get alcohol. Despite being determined not to earlier in the day, while with my family, who were drinking, my cravings seem to hit really badly in the early evening. I'm (un)fortunate enough to live a 30 second walk from the off-license (liquor store)

and it's like an invisible force is dragging me there, well trying to. The thought of going another night sober makes me start to feel panicky. Is there anything in particular I can do to fight it off? Usually the cravings start to die as the night goes on, and once all the pubs and shops are shut I'm safe again, because there's no way for me to get any then. But until then.

-An
Old 07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I usually exercise and buy some ice cream or chocolate when i get cravings
Old 07-17-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going to a meeting always helps me, as does ingesting sugar. When I was in rehab, they used polycose with OJ. The polycose is a highly-refined sugar sold as a nutritional supplement in pharmacies (no Rx needed).
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

An urge is not an action. Urges will come and urges will go. I don't think its a matter of not having urges, its a matter of accepting you are having urges and not acting on them. We may not have control over our active drinking but we do have control over picking up or not picking up. Its not necessarily easy but it is sane. Urges diminish in time if you give it time. Be happy you're not living here in Nevada where bars and shops never close :-) Stay the course, its worth it. Reach within yourself, reach without your self, you'll find resources and support when you need it most. Take care.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very grateful I'm not living in Nevada. Have been there before though. Preferred Arizona xD Right now I'm drinking tea, listening to music, and reading about all the good things people say about sober life on these boards. And thinking about nice things I can buy with the money I save. It's all sort of helping. I have about an hour and 45 minutes till the shops close.

I want to go just to buy chocolate etc but I'm worried that I'll just cave in when I see all the booze.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
An urge is not an action. Urges will come and urges will go. I don't think its a matter of not having urges, its a matter of accepting you are having urges and not acting on them. We may not have control over our active drinking but we do have control over picking up or not picking up. Its not necessarily easy but it is sane. Urges diminish in time if you give it time. Be happy you're not living here in Nevada where bars and shops never close :-) Stay the course, its worth it. Reach within yourself, reach without your self, you'll find resources and support when you need it most. Take care.
Great point MCF. My brother told me once that a craving is not an action. In order to take action on an craving you have to initiate movement.

So when an urge hits, DON'T MOVE.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Contented

Hey now,

Going to meetings is good, but while there get phone numbers from people in the program to call when the urges become deafening. You'd be surprised how many people will talk with you until it's passed or even come get you and take you out of your own head.

Meeting and befriending new sober acquaintances and being social is an important aspect of recovery. Most people cannot do this alone. Do not be afraid, embarrassed or shy to reach out and call someone. Believe it or not, you would be helping the person you call as much as they will be helping you, so go ahead and build a solid sober network of friends - it's fun and healthy.

Best wishes T
Old 07-17-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not too healthy, but I have alot of coffee.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure hope you will continue your sobriety...and here is what worked for me...

In early sobriety....I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration. Not too long too endure discomfort at their longest/strongest.
Soooo....I took action...prayed...Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy
Danced around the room....took a buble bath....music....anything for a distraction...

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished....
Old 07-17-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The cravings did die down, and the shops are closed now, which has relaxed me. I'm glad I got through the day sober, thanks everyone for your suggestions/support =]
Old 07-17-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WTG Aneurysm
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you.

This will get easier the more sober time you rack up. The best thing is to build up a mental attitude that drinking just isn't acceptable to you and can't be part of your program. When that makes you anxious, you can use one of the many suggested techniques here to calm yourself, as well as things like taking a bath or listening to relaxation tapes, or doing something that interests you (this will also get easier).
Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

If they come on a particular time, in my experience they were when my body was expecting alcohol. I found that having some chocolate boefre this time was really helpful.

I am day 64 I still have sweets and chocolate ice cream on hand if I need it. I agree with the other comments.

As well as timing them you might also note they come in clusters / waves. But they do go. It helps not to awfulise them (ie tell yourself you can't stand it, it's unbearable etc)