Notices

Still feeling great...but......

Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still feeling great...but......

I just got news that my drinking is going to cost me even more, and have more legal consequences...I received a dui and it has cost me large...and all the other legal stuff, like getting my license back..will be more...have to take a responsible drivers program which costs almost 1,000....paid my lawyer 5,000 my goodness....and possibly have to have an interlock ignition device which costs 2,000 for a year!!! When will it end???????????
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You quit drinking, so it's already started to end! The rest is details...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

how true..thanks for the imput!! now just treading through the muck!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea been there, paid that and it does end and like recovering from an illness it feels so good to just feel normal. I don't take things for granted anymore like my ability to drive legally, waking up instead of coming to, feeling like a real human being...Keep at it its all just there waiting for you. In fact its all ready happened you just need to catch up to it.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, me too, been there, done that (medical bills for hurting myself when drunk). It's awful, shameful and embarrassing, not to mention the feelings of 'I'm not that person any more. Why can't it just go away?'

When I had to deal with those consequences, they actually strengthened my sobriety. They confirmed my life had become unmanageable, and that I was willing to brush with the law and medical personnel in order to continue my addiction to alcohol. I know know I won't ever have to go through that again. That's the definition of 'freedom'.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Negative or positive however you want to see it-reinforcement. Gotta love that. /sarcasm

You're well on your way.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

I know how you feel, me DUI is costing my thousands of dollars as well. You're responsible drivers program and interlock fees are ridiculous. Where do you live? I hate to see what your insurance is going to be. My insurance looks like it will be $4,000 a year, for the next 3 years.

Well one way to look at it is you only have to do this once, if you keep your sobriety. Unfortunately, this is my second, so I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time, hopefully you will be a fast learner
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I had all the same stuff..... 3 times though. And I'll tell ya, they get exponentially more expensive.

One of the things I had to do was a weekend "class" for repeat offenders. Check into a hotel...2 days of "instruction" - I was not too happy about going.

THAT weekend though, it was THE turning point in sobriety for me. That weekend it hit me that I WAS going to drink again, guaranteed.....and that I'd drink and drive again before too long......and that there wasn't sufficient power in my life to keep that from happening.... That weekend I realized I WAS (and AM) really a true-blue alcoholic and unless I did something really seriously.....I'd be right back in the bottle.

Turned out......that weekend I was dreading.......it was exaaaactly what I needed and at exactly the right time.

I'd bet there's a lot of good in all that "bad" stuff that's popping up in your life right now. You may not see it now but it's there.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amen to all of the above! Plus, while the drinking ends life still happens; both the good and bad. At least being sober will allow you to handle the rough spots but more importantly celebrate the great things that happen. Great things happen every day if you take a step back and look for them.

Dave
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amen to all your posts!!!! yes,there is alot of good in my life.....darn consequences though!! lol... I will face them and see everything through they do hit you hard really hard in the pocketbook...here in British Columbia Canada we have the toughest laws...I did have a clean drivers record..so hopefully that will be abit of a saving grace....but it will go up alot....also I will only get a short term license...and a 250 reinstatement fee...looking at all of this just makes me realize how very important and dear my sobriety is....my old way of life through all this muck..is a learning curve....alll the way.....and one I pray will never be repeated!!! who knows what will come out of this???
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

A happy and sober life if you have anything to do about it!