Notices

When do the drunk dreams stop?

Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do the drunk dreams stop?

I've woken up with a drunk dream for the past two days in a row. They're definitely not FUN drunk dreams--they've both been horrible--and I've woken up disappointed in myself until I realize that they were dreams. I'll have three weeks under my belt on Thursday--anyone have an idea of when these may let up?
Old 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer ! If it is any consolation, I had drunk dreams too, at about the same time as you in recovery , I am 34 days now, and they have gone ! They are terrible aren't they ? At least we have the assurance that they were ONLY dreams

Must say , they are extremely vivid, and I remember them in greusome detail, even now ! lol

HUGx
Lee
Old 11-25-2003, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb

Jen,

I'm almost 7 months now, and I occasionally still have dreams about drinking, but not being drunk. The drunk dreams seemed to stop after the first 2 months or so for me. And yes, they were terrible. If you look back in time, you'll see a forum I started about this exact same thing! lol

PG
Old 11-25-2003, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Digitally Remastered

For me, they ceased when I became accustomed to living a new way of life. That sounds really complicated as I read that back to myself but in simple terms: When my recovery starting really being integrated into my day to day living, as opposed to some foreign untouchable concept.

I believe drunk dreams are a result of cellular memory where my body, mind, spirit would normally have been drunk in a similar situation. But because I am not drinking, my dreams reflect the "this is what WOULD be going on in this situation" had I not stopped drinking.

A few months into sobriety and they had ceased, but for an episode where I stayed drunk every night in my dreams for a week. A lot of things were going on during that time that I was dealing with sober for the first time ever. That week was hairy and scary with not knowing whether I was coming or going, but my friend shared an alternate view...

I'm an AA and I have a sponsor and my sponsor pointed out, during this time, that in my dreams I can get drunken vicarious pleasure without all the trouble and without all the calories.

Digits
Old 11-25-2003, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

*LOL* Digits!!

Jennyfer.. so ironic to read your post as a couple of these have been popping up. But they should go away soon took about three/four weeks for mine to go away. Until I started reading all the drunk dream threads.. have had two this week! Yikes.. what's that all about?

Anyway, I know they are frightening, be patient they will go away.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Apparently drunk dreams are a good sign in recovery, I read that in Guy's forum.

Anyway, I had those things just about every night for months. I only get them once every couple of weeks now but they are still pretty scary. Its always such a relief to wake up and realise that I'm still sober, though.

Amy
Old 11-25-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jen,

Drunk dreams are scary. Yesterday I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or if I was asleep, but I was talking as lucidly as I am here.

I've been reading a bit of philosopy (dangerous!), and mind reading 'bout some professor explaining the medial modernity and the loss of archetypal psychology in being able to explain post-modern ideas (when in fact they avoid modernism) , because the very philosophy was pre-modern in the very attempt at holding onto mythic or mystical ideas. Western culture has generally lost the meaning of the aesthetic, and accepted the banality of existance. I liken it to the yuppies or else the 'well off' buying works of art as an investment on the advise of an art guru.

Anyhow I don't think the above will make sense to me once I get some sleep, but bloody hell it can be tough getting through some of those philosophy papers!

What I interpret it to mean is, well consider the Australian Aborigine. They have beautiful beliefs in the natural world. I found this:

"The mind of a savage, like that of a child, is filled with a questioning fear of those things which it does not understand. The wonders of Nature, explained so clearly to us by modern science, remain for him a hidden mystery. The impression which he receives from his immediate surroundings is reasoned in the terms of his limited experience and imagination. In this manner, many beautiful myths and legends have been invented by primitive people to explain to their own mental satisfaction the wonderful and terrible natural system of which they are an inseparable part."

When white men came, with all the blessing and burden of civilisation, the Aboriginal ppl were irrevocably changed. Drug abuse is incredibly rife amongst these ppl, stastically much greater than the rest of our population. Their search for meaning now is through alcohol, glue, petrol or spray paint.

I think those dreams are from deep within us, guiding our way, not letting us take the easy option of searching for it via drugs. They are scary, but it's comforting to know I've got that part of me that guides me and looks out for me, even though it only communicates through my subconscious - which doesn't give a stuff about my ego thank god.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whew! Sorry 'bout that last post!

I seriously advise anyone who is deprived of sleep to *not* start reading German philosophy about existance. Kinda funny really, can't really remember much of actually writing it the post.

Maybe we can coin a new term 'Sleep Posting'!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mark,

Your quote about the aborigines reminded me a little about the movie "The gods are crazy" (I think that is what it was called). A coke bottle falls on a boys head - some tribe in Africa, I think - and the tribe thinks it is some sacred sign....I'll have to check out that movie again. It was a satire if i recall correctly.

"Sleep posting" - I like it. Kind of like pulling an all-nighter in at university trying to write term papers, then re-reading the next day and you wonder "who wrote this piece of ****?"
Hee hee

Jay
Old 11-26-2003, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

*LOL*... Jay... that reminds me of studying for my degree in mathematics... when drinking you should of seen all the new axioms and equations I derived.. Einstein would of been proud.. until I looked at them in the morning! Fireplace starter!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Re: Whew! Sorry 'bout that last post!

Originally posted by panadolsandwich
I seriously advise anyone who is deprived of sleep to *not* start reading German philosophy about existance. Kinda funny really, can't really remember much of actually writing it the post.

Maybe we can coin a new term 'Sleep Posting'!
There's a saying around AA meetings that goes: "If you want to hide something from a drunk, just put it in the Big Book." So, whatever you do panadol, don't open that Big Book....:p
Old 11-28-2003, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jenn,
I've been sober a few months and still get those dreams. They use to scare me because I thought they were happening because I was coming up short on my program, or they were telling me what coming up in my future. Now, I look at them as God's gift to me to help me remember what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Excellant Music.. will convert my thinking!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Music, no offence, but you rub me the wrong way - in that friction makes it harder for me to move forward.

I've apologised to you before, but wtf is
"If you want to hide something from a drunk, just put it in the Big Book." So, whatever you do panadol, don't open that Big Book
meant to mean?

I mean really? Is it your way or the highway? You're are either:

*simple minded
*narrow minded
*or worse still, a preacher with the best intentions, but hopelessly lost at sea?

I'm sure I've left a lot of options out there - I understand I can never characterise someone without actually *being* them.

Let me tell you mate, I'd happily hug you and welcome you into my house, knowing that you mean well. But figuratively speaking you can shove that big book up your arse - and thereby discover meaning from it!

I've 'shopped around' at AA, and never made more connections with pimps, drug pushers, prostitutes, f*cking liers, incredibly selfish bastards and generally the scum of the earth, one drink away from oblivion. Yes I met the occasional gem while I waded through this sea of ****.

This is very simple:

I won't ask you to read and obey the doctrines of the Koran, bible, whatever;
And you don't ask me to read the "Big Book".

You f*cking, set in your ways, old piece of **** f*ck. I ask you again how dare you? You're no better than the psychological vultures that prey on the sick ppl, indoctrinating f*cking ******** and getting an enormous erection out of doing it.

AA isn't the be all and end all. My ancestors are vikings, and as I read more of my heritage, I can understand the nature of myself. You might be surprised that the English word "Law" is a Viking word. Well we were a very law abiding ppl (amongst ourselves), and would trade, but also invade and destroy what we felt wasn't right.

Not much different from the state of current affairs eh? Except the genes that make me so vulnerable to alcoholism are also a godsend should I survive it. I can learn to adapt; part of the reason I have so much sympathy for the aborigine. From my culture getting drunk was normal. I draw all sorts of wisdom from the mysticism and wonder of all our own ancient mythology. And I feel my own search for spirituality lies therein.

So whatever you do, don't open that big book? You narrow minded piece of sh(t. "Tough love" someone described you to me. I don't think this is a misunderstanding. To me you're probably nursing an alcoholic drink and having a wank in our faces.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

I think he means panadol, that you have been sat there, by your own admission pissed, for the last week, spouting off incomrehensible gibberish, worrying people, and hurling abuse.
AND ALL THIS TIME YOU HAVE BEEN DRUNK AND OFFERING ADVICE ON STAYING SOBER!!!
I would interpret Music's words thus:
a) what you are doing at the moment is not keeping you sober.
b) the 'sleep posting' you refer to is more than likely 'drunk posting' (Hmmm, waking up with no memory of what you have done the night before, sounds kind of familiar)
c) You have previously stated that you are open to all ideas to stop drinking, so why are you so reticent to read the big book?
Old 11-28-2003, 11:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rotten,

Let me make this very clear to you. I might get a bit emotional and wax lyrical a bit when pished, but everything I've told is true, and honestly what I think and feel.

And I honestly believe that only a drunk (a someone with that experience) can help other ppl get sober, and mind I've always qualified my advice with the rider that I'm still pished.

I don't believe I've ever been incomprehensible, even despite my 'sleep posting' incident. That's how German philosophers speak and I was apologising because I know a lot of ppl wouldn't know wtf I was talking about. I've revisited it and it's made perfect sense to me, I just regret sharing that insight with anyone here.

I can't believe I'm hearing this from you rotten "why are you so reticent about reading the big book?". I've read it front to back cover, and read it over again in search of help. Personally I think even though the book has all the hallmarks of a developing religion, if it helps ppl thats fine. I only object when someone forcibly rams it down my throat. They'll say you can walk out anytime you like. And the AA meetings I've attended often after someone has got a huge load off their chest for nearly 20 minutes, they sit down for a while before slinking off.

I'm open minded and that is my experience - that is all. I'm too tired to try and mend those f*ckers while I'm mending myself.

In fact what do you expect? I'M A DRUNK SHARING AND TRYING TO BEAT AN ADDICTION. Of course I drink. And I've got a well laid out plan to stop - here at home.

Let's not have a falling out hey?

It just goes to show doesn't it? Just say the word and I'll be out of here. You have that power. If you think you're better off without me you only need to say one word: leave
Old 11-28-2003, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In fact I'm leaving anyway.

Rotten I want to wish you all the best but to me you've just become another narrow minded f*ck. In fact Rotten really does suit you.

F*ck you very much Rotten - I know you're not a friend because friends give strong advice and deplore bad behaviour, but their judgement is always true, no matter what you say, what you said isn't true. And one thing I've learnt is that ppl who are irrational can't be reasoned with. Don't let me judge who here is rational.

Judge me mate. Then I'll go have a wank about it later. But at least I won't be wanking in someone's face.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm leaving, but please site-owner, administrator, or moderator don't ban me. I need to copy the things I've written here down in my journal.

I'm giving up tonight at 9pm anyhow. I'll need true friends to talk to, and I'll be back sober if I'm welcome. But the most important thing I need is home access to my writings - that's the most important thing.

Thankyou in advance Mark.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Hey Pan?

One last thought before you go. Well, maybe three.

1. Spouting off German philosophy is impressive. I can see how well it works in your life.

2. It's not sharing if your'e drunk while doing it.

3. Continuing to bite at the hands that are reaching out to help you is actually quite typical of any garden-variety, run-of-the-mill, average drunk.

You are not special in this respect, Pan. Your intellect has obviously done absolutely nothing to improve your lot in life. You, like me and many others are just a drunk.

When Music and Rotten reached out to you, they did it not because of your vocabulary, your wit or lack of it, or your intellect. They did it because that's how a lot of us stay sober. We try our best, through our experience, to help others.

It is you who is narrow-minded Pan.

Do come back when you have something more to give than hate and vitriol.