Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Take a second to think about what alcohol really is.

Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is alcohol? It is the mycotoxin of yeast.

"A mycotoxin “fungus” and Latin (toxicum) “poison”)[1][2] is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by organisms of the fungus kingdom, commonly known as molds"

"Because mycotoxins weaken the receiving host, the fungus may use them as a strategy to better the environment for further fungal proliferation."

Mycotoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Think about it. Us alcoholics intentionally drank mycotoxins in such excess that we gathered on an internet forum, or in AA meetings, to discuss how bad of a turn our health and lives have taken. Above it says mycotoxins weaken the host. I can tell you after 8 years of drinking this poison I was so weakened it scared me into quitting.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i have a humungous problem with drinking... i try to really think about what it is and what harm it causes my body but then i just find myself back to drinking it. usually thoughtlessly.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly like many other substances (salt, water, oxygen, aspirin), alcohol is only poisonous depending on the dosage (lots 'n lots).....NOT poisonous in and of itself. Toxicologists emphasize that 'the dosage makes the poison.' Although salt, water, oxygen, aspirin, alcohol beverages, and many other substances can cause poisoning in excessive amounts, it makes no sense to call them poisons.

Many groups and organizations insist on calling alcohol a poison simply to stigmatize alcoholic beverages and frighten people into alcohol abstinence. The tactic was first used effectively by the Anti-Saloon League, the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, the KKK and other anti-alcohol groups. The technique is still widely used today.

Honest communication doesn’t mislead or deceive. Calling alcohol a poison is misleading and deceptive.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with NoelleR. I'd rather just say I'm allergic. I mean I know I'm an alcoholic and I don't mind talking about that but I truly believe I'm allergic.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone would argue that strychnine is not a poison, but taken in very small doses it acts as a stimulant and the body will build a tolerance to it. In my mind alcohol is basically the same although it takes larger doses to kill you.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The body does produce alcohol every single day simply as a result of digestion and metabolism, and many of our foods, such as fruits or orange juice, contain amounts of it. This is why our bodies have the enzymes to break it down. The problem comes when we consume in excess of what the body can break down efficiently. Naturally, consuming lots of shots of high proof depressants in quick succession is not what our body is designed to handle with ease. :-)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

This is another example of why self knowledge or even some facts just wasn't enough to get me sober and keep me sober.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I had to go deeper.

Kjell~
Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Calling alcohol a poison is misleading and deceptive.
And in this case, it just flat out contrafactual, insofar as the OP implies that ethanol is a mycotoxin. Mycotoxins are produced by fungi with the express "purpose" of fending off predators. Within this context, ethanol is not a mycotoxin; it is in fact the end point of anaerobic glucose metabolism in Sacchromyces cerevisiae.

In fact, due to its physiochemical properties, ethanol is itself as toxic, if not more so, to the yeast that produce it as it is to the humans that consume it.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
The body does produce alcohol every single day simply as a result of digestion and metabolism, and many of our foods, such as fruits or orange juice, contain amounts of it. This is why our bodies have the enzymes to break it down. The problem comes when we consume in excess of what the body can break down efficiently. Naturally, consuming lots of shots of high proof depressants in quick succession is not what our body is designed to handle with ease. :-)
Our bodies don't produce ethanol; our gut flora do.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
This is another example of why self knowledge or even some facts just wasn't enough to get me sober and keep me sober.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I had to go deeper.
Exactly. I could go to school, get a phd in biochemistry, etc. and it would not keep me sober. AA and the 12 steps do it for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Exactly. I could go to school, get a phd in biochemistry, etc. and it would not keep me sober. AA and the 12 steps do it for me.
No offense, but isn't that sort of like saying no matter how smart you are YOU still aren't smart enough not to drink bleach even though you know it will most likely kill you.

I understand some people will never fully understand the ramifications of their actions, but your brain does have the power to learn from past experiences. You just need to learn how to control your brain. If AA was the trick then more power to you, but no reason to knock education and knowledge because you can't control your brain.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Latte View Post
I'd rather just say I'm allergic.
Isn't that in itself a miscommunication?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what you call it. It is a mycotoxin.

I can go a little deeper here.

I have read into candida infections on the body. It's a yeast that can grow into fungus with roots in your intestines. It thrives on sugars and alcohol. I have read many alcoholics have excessive candida growths inside them. Having candida creates a serious urge to eat sweet things including alcohol. In fact, people with severe candida can actually blow a reading on a alcohol meter without ever drinking because of all the alcohol the fungus is producing.

I have read people that become alcoholics usually have a case of candida albican. Thus the extreme abuse of alcohol is fueled by the internal fungus's desires and needs.

Every hear of the guy who ate a bunch of chocolate to help him stay dry? I personally gave up sugar and alcohol and feel much better.

Food for thought. But it's worth mentioning to people like ourselves.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
No offense, but isn't that sort of like saying no matter how smart you are YOU still aren't smart enough not to drink bleach even though you know it will most likely kill you.

I understand some people will never fully understand the ramifications of their actions, but your brain does have the power to learn from past experiences. You just need to learn how to control your brain. If AA was the trick then more power to you, but no reason to knock education and knowledge because you can't control your brain.
I am not knocking education and knowledge, but in my experience it was not enough for me.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

~

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
Isn't that in itself a miscommunication?
Nah, it's just a way of understanding something that we don't fully understand.

So many "experts" out there, ya know?

Kjell~
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Ehh...I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

It doesn't have to be one way or the other.

One can believe and use the 12 steps and have some scientific knowledge too

All we're saying is that we needed more. That's all

Kjell~
Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

tooling....Welcome back...

I hope all is wel in your world......why not share a bit with us about your recovery?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, my experience has been very much like that. In fact, one of the foundations of my Step 1 experience was knowing exactly where picking up a drink would take me and what the consequences were, and also knowing at a very gut level that I would drink in spite of knowing that. A hopeless condition.

That's why a Step 1 experience leads to a willingness to seek Step 2.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Don't eat the big white mint in the urinal.