Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Take a second to think about what alcohol really is.

Notices

Take a second to think about what alcohol really is.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It just does not matter if alcohol is potion or not. Any substance is toxin, if our body has to fight , any by products resulting after entry of that substance in our body.. This applies to any chemical,food or substance. The amount of does matters ,too.

I agree with Carol.. It will be good idea to share more on our recovery . This debate is not going anywhere .
Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
It doesn't matter what you call it. It is a mycotoxin.
No, it's not. Words have agreed-upon meanings, and you are not using "mycotoxin" in that sense.

Alcohol is a wast product produce yeast as the end result of anaerobic glucose metabolism. True mycotoxins, such as aflotoxin, are also end points of metabolic pathways, but they serve a purpose to the fungus and are not in need of immediate disposal.

In fact, yeast sitting around in vat of fermenting beer or wine is akin to a human sitting around in their own feces, both are much more likely to die because they are being expose to their own waste products.

Originally Posted by tooling View Post
I can go a little deeper here.

I have read into candida infections on the body. It's a yeast that can grow into fungus with roots in your intestines. It thrives on sugars and alcohol. I have read many alcoholics have excessive candida growths inside them. Having candida creates a serious urge to eat sweet things including alcohol. In fact, people with severe candida can actually blow a reading on a alcohol meter without ever drinking because of all the alcohol the fungus is producing.

I have read people that become alcoholics usually have a case of candida albican. Thus the extreme abuse of alcohol is fueled by the internal fungus's desires and needs.

Every hear of the guy who ate a bunch of chocolate to help him stay dry? I personally gave up sugar and alcohol and feel much better.

Food for thought. But it's worth mentioning to people like ourselves.
Alcohol changes the ecology of the gut by killing of alcohol sensitive bacteria that keep C albicans in check. It is therefore not an issue of the introduction of an exogenous organism that runs rampant, like kudzu in the southern US; it is more like the removal of an apex predator, like wolves in the western US. In other words, chronic alcohol abusers are not so much "infected" with C albicans as is their gut ecology out of balance allowing the opportunistic spread of C albicans.

As a side note, despite what some AA literature may say (explicitly or implicitly), alcohol is not, not, not, not, not, not, not a sugar. It is chemically not a sugar, nor is it metabolized as a sugar.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newborn View Post
It just does not matter if alcohol is potion or not. Any substance is toxin, if our body has to fight , any by products resulting after entry of that substance in our body.. This applies to any chemical,food or substance. The amount of does matters ,too.
Yes, but by that observation, water is a toxin if you drink for that a liter in a hour. However, no-one goes around screaming the equivalent of, "OH NOES!!! WATER IS A TOXIN!!!!1111!!!11!!". As far as I understand, other posters were pointing out that calling ethanol a "toxin" serves only to scare people into not drinking, when, in fact, the majority of the people on the planet can (most probably do) safely consume ethanol with almost no long-term adverse side-effects.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol is poison.
Alcohol has no purpose(when consumed).
Alcohol causes more harm than all the tragedies of the world, combined.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Alcohol is poison.
Alcohol has no purpose(when consumed).
Alcohol causes more harm than all the tragedies of the world, combined.
My, that's quite an intolerant view.

Alcohol may cause a lot of problems for you, but it is safely consumed by the vast majority of people in the world.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This thread has some intellectual value, but the topic being discussed has no bearing whatsoever on my recovery.

Just my 2 cents.

-SD
Old 07-13-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sdsurfn2011 View Post
This thread has some intellectual value, but the topic being discussed has no bearing whatsoever on my recovery.

Just my 2 cents.

-SD
Does it help you to understand how others in recovery relate to alcohol?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't most studies show that moderate drinkers live longer that non drinkers? It's like anything else when used to excess, it's not a poison in moderation, it's a life extension tool.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
My, that's quite an intolerant view.

Alcohol may cause a lot of problems for you, but it is safely consumed by the vast majority of people in the world.
This forum is for people with alcohol problems so I posted in that context.
I don't care about the vast amount of people in the world and how they choose to drink poison.
I also think it's careless(in this context) to give alcohol value.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Our site is not about moderation or social drinking.Our name.....Sober Recovery says it all..

We are not a medical or a research site...we do offer peer support
for those interested in winning over their various addictions...

This thread is over and done.