Notices

A tricky weekend

Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A tricky weekend

I’m hoping that sharing my weekend with you will make things better!!

Some of my closest friends went away this weekend. I didn’t want to drink with them all weekend as I know it would have been a blackout disaster. However it would have been nice to spend the weekend with them. I feel sad as it dawned on me that I will never be able to spend a weekend with my friends again as drinking will always be the focus and that will never change.

There was also a reunion of people I hadn’t seen in ages happening this weekend and as most of my closest friends would not be there I couldn’t face going sober.

Last night I took my family out to a food festival and I put too much pressure on my family to make the evening a success and got frustrated and annoyed. I argued with my wife about something trivial and went to bed.

Deep down I know that a sober weekend was better than a drunk one and that things would have been worse if I would have gone to either event as a drinker.

I’m going to take my children swimming now and hope that the weekend will end on a positive.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dingding View Post
I’m hoping that sharing my weekend with you will make things better!!

Some of my closest friends went away this weekend. I didn’t want to drink with them all weekend as I know it would have been a blackout disaster. However it would have been nice to spend the weekend with them. I feel sad as it dawned on me that I will never be able to spend a weekend with my friends again as drinking will always be the focus and that will never change.

There was also a reunion of people I hadn’t seen in ages happening this weekend and as most of my closest friends would not be there I couldn’t face going sober.

Last night I took my family out to a food festival and I put too much pressure on my family to make the evening a success and got frustrated and annoyed. I argued with my wife about something trivial and went to bed.

Deep down I know that a sober weekend was better than a drunk one and that things would have been worse if I would have gone to either event as a drinker.

I’m going to take my children swimming now and hope that the weekend will end on a positive.

Good luck! I have the same, everything with my friends revolves around drinking, although when I quit the last time I didn't have any issues hanging around with them while they drank. But in all frankness I was smoking copious amounts of weed at the time so it wasn't like I was clear-headed and sober, the weed kills any cravings I get for booze (and it's legal here). Now if I use it it's only to help me sleep as they don't have OTC sleeping pills here, but I want to give that up too and hopefully learn to sleep without chemicals!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes..early days are often an emotional see saw...I'm pleased you did stay sober.
It got easier for me..the longer I stayed in focus...

Try eating healthy...walking and drink a lot of water .I also stopped useing caffeine as it made me jumpy...and I already was...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks.
After 6 months i was hoping it would get easier! i'ts difficult to do things with friends when drinking is such a part of everything.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi lostlotus,

I came out of a blackout once and found myself in the canal in the middle of the red light district in Amsterdam. I still don't know if i was thrown in or fell in.

I still drank for 15 years after that.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi lostlotus,

I came out of a blackout once and found myself in the canal in the middle of the red light district in Amsterdam. I still don't know if i was thrown in or fell in.

I still drank for 15 years after that.
Wow glad you made it out alive, they've pulled 4 bodies out of the canals so far this year (that I'm aware of), it's dangerous! I guess one reason is that guys tip over when they drunkenly go to pee in them...

And yeah I've had some really close calls but still didn't wake up to reality. I'm really not sure how I've survived this long.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know. I have many stories like it. it's a great city. might go there sober one day.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know. I have many stories like it. it's a great city. might go there sober one day.
Yes Amsterdam is awesome, even sober, never leaving