Notices

On the edge...

Old 07-09-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy On the edge...

My what I call sober days are flying by now, twenty to be exact and I'm doing worse now then I was in the begining.

Everything makes me want to drink; driving past bars, neon beer signs in gas station windows, marquee signs at grocery stores, even going to my moms camper today. I'm also starting to get my headaches back that I used to cure with a beer.

Tonight I'm home alone and I'm at the lowest of my low of wanting a drink. I think mostly because no one is home or coming home tonight and it's like it could be my dirty little secret no one would even know. The only thing that is stopping me is my boyfriend admitted himself to a twenty eight day treatment center the other day and I need to be strong not only for myself but for him, I don't want to be a hypocrite.

Please let me know if my post is crossing a line, it just makes me feel better to talk about it.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

think about how great you're going to feel waking up tomorrow knowing you duked it out with the desire and won.

you're not 'doing worse' - the cravings have just got stronger, because the part of you that craves drink at the expense of everything is realising this time you're serious. that's like a compliment, not something you're 'doing wrong' or doing badly at.

i know it sucks and words are easy but just find other things to distract you and don't give up.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Abd,

Alcoholism is such a complicated disease! For me, once I fully accepted that I could not have even one drink and that drinking was not an option, it got easier. I keep sobriety related books close. SR is a great place to come visit to ride out those cravings.

Keep reading and posting!

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-09-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found support was really important for me. My life was so centred on drinking for such a long time that things did actually seem to get worse for me newly sober before they got better.

Please do hang in there tho - cravings can be negotiated and beaten...and it will get easier

what are you doing for support abd?

D
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Right now this is the only place I really receive any support.... I plan on going to AA meetings eventually if I can find the time, I usually work nights so its hard. Avoided thinking about alcohol tonight by cleaning and browsing around on here.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ABD
Well, ...Welcome to SR !!

I'm one of those people working nights too. This site has folks from Australia and all over, really, that have helped me stay sober the last 15 months. While most everyone with day jobs in N. America are sound asleep, the suns already up Down Under. Thank Goodness !

The face-to-face support from like minded people in AA has been invaluable for me. Whatever support system you can find; ....put your whole heart and soul in it.

Congrats on your 20 days !
.....and thanks for posting; that helps us all.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubtfulDebs View Post
think about how great you're going to feel waking up tomorrow knowing you duked it out with the desire and won.

you're not 'doing worse' - the cravings have just got stronger, because the part of you that craves drink at the expense of everything is realising this time you're serious. that's like a compliment, not something you're 'doing wrong' or doing badly at.

i know it sucks and words are easy but just find other things to distract you and don't give up.
Great post, Debs. I am 81 days sober after reading Rational Recovery and using AVRT (and going on SR at least twice daily)..I hear this reasoning in your post. It's a very powerful tool for recovery. Hope it's working for you as well as it is for me!

To the OP..it does get better. I can't lie and say it goes away totally (not for me yet), but you learn to ride the 'wave of crave' as I call it. Sometimes they just come out the blue, but instead of getting panicky and feeling tempted, I can now acknowledge it and move on. It DOES get better.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By now...your cravings are mental not physical but I know they canstill be a problem. As long as you remain sober...they really will lessen,,,
It took me about 2 months to get back in mental physical balance. Well done on your sober time!

about your headaches...please check with your doctor...perhaps ask for an eye exam?

When I worked nights ...I found an early a.m. meeting that met daily.
I'd zip in there...relax..recharge my focus and go home to sleep.

Good to see you here with us Welcome..
Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abd112 View Post
Thank you everyone! Right now this is the only place I really receive any support.... I plan on going to AA meetings eventually if I can find the time, I usually work nights so its hard. Avoided thinking about alcohol tonight by cleaning and browsing around on here.
This place is my only support right now too, I have a feeling I'll be lurking and posting all day while I sort my head. I've been trying to think of what my drinking triggers are and there are so many!!! Luckily I have a stockpile of valerian which seems to curb the anxiety, it's supposed to help you sleep but I'm so high strung that it only calms me down. Glad you were able to resist the urge!!!