Notices

Honesty in Treatment?

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty in Treatment?

Well I'm chugging along to 5 months next week but found myself in a strange situation.

Since in my heart of hearts I truly wanted to get sober I did 2 weeks of inpatient in February to start getting sober followed up with daily AA meetings (2-3 a day on days not working) for a few more months and about 3 a week now - including one that I chair. I'm very pleased with the genuine help I get in those rooms.

In order to comply with court requirements for a deferred sentence on a DUI (February) I had to reluctantly start IOP at a place in my town.

I say reluctantly because I drank through IOP twice already and I know I wasn't the only one - especially from the stories I heard while in in-patient and those that freely admit it on the 5th or 6th try now in IOP.

I told one of the counselors during group that I would sometimes drink up to a fifth of vodka in a day. She looked at me with "SHOCK!" and a few in the group faked surprise and others just kept their mouths shut. I wonder if she was trying to scare me into thinking I was an alcoholic???

I told the truth without embarassment or guilt since I no longer do that and work a seperate plan of recovery. I know many people that drink as much and more as I did. I was on the high-end, but not off the charts as was implied. Besides, what's that got to do with relapse prevention now?

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a room with a bunch of posers where sobriety is not an objective.

Numerous times I've mentioned that currently my biggest trigger for relapse would be someday not being able to tolerate my severe depression. And numerous times I'm told by the counselors "it will get better after you've been sober a few weeks." IT'S BEEN ALMOST 5 MONTHS! Hello???

Arrggg...I'm more convinced now than ever this whole IOP thing is a scam - that's why I chose in-patient to begin with.

Also - with IOP 3 days a week it's pulling me away from my best meetings where I feel I can really get something.

IOP Schedule:
6:00 Start Time
6:20 Actual Start time
20 minutes of bs and talking about last weekend or someone's baby
20 minute smoke break
10 minute group excercise
40 minutes of bookwork or a video

If I come off sounding resentful it's because I kind of am. It costs me $40 for each day of this. I also I don't really have patience there like I do in AA. I don't sense the full sincerity of purpose.

However, I will be afforded the opportunity to have my record cleared (and for that I'm thankful).

I will continue to use AA as my sobriety rock. IOP as my record cleaner.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been in a similar situation with being arrested on an alcohol related charge. I had to attend some classes and be monitored... They seemed to only want the money and were going through the motions. It was a disappointment to me because I spent a lot of time answering my questionnaires truthfully. The CRO told me she could tell I was honest and she had high hopes for me to "beat alcohol." I told her my plan for recovery and I was supposed to bring her literature on my chosen program in my 2nd monitoring visit... So I came in with a whole stack of pamphlets and books to show her. They called my name, asked for my $30 cash and told me I could leave

The good thing though is that it's been such an awful ordeal that it's motivated me to flip a switch and finally WANT to quit for good... That and the thought of doing damage to my internal organs, among some other pretty traumatic happenings the past year.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear that, Jennie.

I was trying to think if I knew anyone who got sober in IOP. I know quite a few in AA that got sober in Jail and others that did in-patient or old fashioned intervention.

For me, I did IOP because I knew I could go home and crack a beer afterward and no one would know. I'd get my license back, stay out of jail - it worked. I didn't get sober but I never intended to anyway.

It's just the same now. IOP is not going to get or keep me sober and it will wipe my record and bank account clean.

In-patient was about $22k but it has been worth every nickel.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While I have zero expereinces on IOP's and how they run them....
I do think it's best to keep remembering you are there for a specific reason....getting your record cleaned up....

I suggest you attend with a few AA meeting sschedules ...someone may be interested in finding where meetings are.

Well done on your solid progress....
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you getting treatment for depression? It's very, very common that alcoholics suffer from other mental illnesses (depression, bipolar, etc.). I've been in treatment for depression and wouldn't be sober -- or alive -- without the medication I get.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Getting sober ruined a totally good case of depression for me...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your using AA
Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

IOP took care of the legal part for me (thankfully my health insurance covered it) AA/NA takes care of the spiritual part.

Staying out of jail was a definite bonus for sitting through some (many of the classes were really good) of the presentations.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

IOP is a "ticket" you have to get punched to get your deferred sentence. So have it punched.

It doesn't matter, for you, one little bit if you find it unhelpful. You know what IS helpful to you, and you are doing that. If your depression is persistent, I suggest you see a therapist or doctor on your own, and not rely on what the IOP counselor says. The counselor probably isn't qualified to help you with that.

Do what you need to do, and quit worrying about the "posers". What they do is not your problem.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StPeteGrad View Post
...I will continue to use AA as my sobriety rock. IOP as my record cleaner.
It does sound like that IO program is... lacking, to say the least.

Don't forget that "Resentment is the number one offender." The $40 cost per session is the result of your actions... I know I'd be pretty p*d off about it too, but it serves no purpose. As to the posers, that's a life on life's terms thing imo.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post

It doesn't matter, for you, one little bit if you find it unhelpful. You know what IS helpful to you, and you are doing that.
IMO every recovering alcoholic needs to learn how to follow directions. It does not matter where those directions come from or how much sense they make (the less sense they make the better).

Following directions is a good example of how to live a principle driven way of life. When we place principles before personalities (specially our own personality), we cease fighting everyone and everything. We cease judging everyone and everything. We start surrendering our expectations.

ALL expectations are seeds for resentment.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good stuff guys. I agree with what each of you said.
I'll continue to follow through and follow the rules.

I'll try to put my resentment out of my mind and focus on the fact that it was my choice to be there.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bri

I completely understand the dislike of IOP's here. I've been through one and am now on my 2nd (to clear my record also actually) and to me, it seems they are just a bunch of badgering and people being forced to put their lives on display via a virtual legal whip. Not to mention the money they cost (which I think many who have been through them would agree, MOST- not all are about money) I've found that I take MUCH more away from AA meetings that helps me than I have any IOP. Just my experience.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't ecall where this came from....but I think it applies to me

:Holding on to a resentment is like drinking acid and waiting for the other person to die"

Try reading page 552 in our AA Big Book and see what you think...although that is more about person to person interaction.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The way I see it & experience it IOP is part of the DUI game. Meaning that you have been bad and busted so now we (the state) is going to punish. I went to IOP on my first couple of DUI's and did a 28 in-patient after my last DUI. Truthfully, if I ever get another one I will not do the "dance" of treatment, probation, MADD lectures ect.... I will opt for the prison or jail sentence instead. The amount of stuff I had to complete after my third DUI was unreal and, looking back, think I should of just opted for the jail possibly even prison sentence. It never stopped me from drinking or getting arrested (for even more serious crimes) but it did stop me from drinking and driving. I never understand the idea of forced treatment. It just doesn't work.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to my favorite meeting tonight and am so grateful I did. I've been really focused on getting over resentments. There were two that shared tonight that saidsome really great things on the subject. I'm feeling a lot more grounded again. Also- I've discussed my opinions with some others on the same treatment place and it felt good to at least have my observations validated.
A couple of folks I talked to after the meeting also summed up what otherssaid on this thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The way I see it & experience it IOP is part of the DUI game. Meaning that you have been bad and busted so now we (the state) is going to punish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It never stopped me from drinking or getting arrested (for even more serious crimes) but it did stop me from drinking and driving. I never understand the idea of forced treatment. It just doesn't work.

Huh? I'm thinking "the state" is mostly interested in stopping folks from drinking and driving. I never had a DUI, but got shuttled into a multiple DUI offender class, --with a drug possesion conviction.

It was the luckiest day of my life, turned out the counselor was a recovering alcoholic who invited me to my first AA meeting.

The imfo I got there changed everything.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SPG,
I can tell you're really headed in the right direction !

Glad you have a great group for support