Notices

Help! Trying to fight withdrawal, NEED INFO!!

Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Fightn4sobriety View Post
I was having horrible shakes earlier, my friend broke me a .5 mg benzo, not exactly sure what kind. My shakes have stopped, and I feel much better. I don't plan on abusing the drug. I just needed something to stop the pain. Which it did. Now I'm thinking much clearer
I knew lots of tricks & tips to beat the DT's. However, I do not share them with anyone else as they only "enabled" me to drink more without ending up in the hospital.

In the long run, they ended up doing more harm than good.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I feared the withdrawal symptoms myself. I remember being sick for days on end telling myself, if I could just get through this, I would never drink again. Sadly, I did drink again and again, and went through withdrawals again and again. I found the best way to avoid withdrawals was to not drink. In order to succeed in not drinking, I worked a program.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What kept me going through many horrific withdrawals was just the knowing that it won't last forever. Think of the awesome possibility in front of you, YOU NEVER HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN!! At the end of the day, it's your decision to close that door and do whatever it takes to see that it never opens again. Stay strong...it will pass, then the real work can begin.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for everyone's support and advice. It's nearing the end of the day for me and I don't feel too bad at all. I've been lounging in bed with my girlfriend most of the day. Hopefully the withdrawals won't kick in tommorow. I plan to get up at 8am to get to my outpatient program. Then if I can fit in a meeting before work it'll really help.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not a doctor but it takes far longer than 3 days for your body to get dependent on alcohol again... you should be fine.

Most detox units use ativan. Alcohol + xanax + alcoholic is a toxic mix that can lead to death ... we just buried a friend mixing benzos and alcohol.

I understand that you were just trying to take the edge off of a hangover but please, please be careful in the future .... hopefully you will take everyones advice and get into a strong recovery program and be one of the fortunate ones who stay sober forever from today on!

Also suggest that you send your girlfriend to Alanon if you want to understand more about alcoholism and how to help you both in future challenges.

Good luck... God Bless and keep coming back!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks hopeworks. I plan to do so, both with a strong recovery program then introduce my gf to al-anon. I missed my outpatient group today since I was unable to sleep most of the night, just anxious/cold then hot/sweating. I do feel better this morning tho.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fightn4sobriety View Post
Thank you for everyone's support and advice. It's nearing the end of the day for me and I don't feel too bad at all. I've been lounging in bed with my girlfriend most of the day. Hopefully the withdrawals won't kick in tommorow. I plan to get up at 8am to get to my outpatient program. Then if I can fit in a meeting before work it'll really help.
It sounds like your fear of withdrawal may be causing you more anxiety than actual withdrawals... Personally I would not have many symptoms after only a 3 day binge. I'd suggest you worry more about taking the random benzos and make a doctor's appointment, even if you have to randomly see a doctor you don't have a preexisting relationship with.

GG
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey everyone this is my first time being on a forum or blog. This is the first day of getting clean/sober for me and my girlfriend. I’m a little afraid of the consequences of taking these pills for a year and a half but I am also excited of getting my life back. I'm done looking at the pill as my lifeline. There is so much on my mind right now. My main concern unfortunately is not myself but my girlfriend. She has been addicted way longer than me and I feel that she has been through hell since she started doing pills. If I had one wish it would be for her to be cleaned. In my eyes I see how gorgeous she looks and how big her heart is and I would do anything for her because she has been there with me through the good times and bad times, Trust and believe... good times and bad times. We have been through situations that usually someone wouldn’t go through in their life time. No matter how much of a scumbag I have been with her, I still have her by my side no matter what and I want her to be happy. I decided for both of us to just get cleaned pretty much cold turkey. In the beginning I thought I had it all figured out. Taking a pill here and there thinking nothing was going to happen to me because I was just doing what I thought was nothing to worry about. Even when I would look at my girl and saw how sick she was, I would get disgusted with her. I remember my girl's dad telling me “Stop doing pills, it will destroy your life”. I would answer him I know I know but in reality I had no idea how fast you could get hooked. The first day I knew I was hooked was when I was working in Wawa and I got extremely sick that I asked the manager if I could take the day off. Whoa I never thought that would happen to me. Since then I have been on a downhill rollercoaster ride. There is nothing positive at all with these pills. Nothing good can come out of it. Now my family is aware of my addiction and believe you me that’s the worst because I can’t be in a room with them knowing that I’m an addict and being judged by them.