Notices

I didn't seek sobriety to find meaning in life.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't seek sobriety to find meaning in life.

When I walked into the rooms of AA, it wasn't to find meaning in life.

It was to stop drinking. I had reasons for wanting to stop. Health was one but the other was to achieve what I thought my life meant and was for.

To die, in combat, in Iraq or Afghanistan preferably after jumping on a grenade and saving the life of my squad. "Die young, live fast".

Why ? Because my life was meangingless up to that point. I felt it so anyway. I was a loser. I failed at everything and there was absolutely no hope for me whatsoever. The idea of being able to die, in combat, gave me the delusional sense of purpose I needed. It wasn't important to me that I had a meaning in life. It was important for me that everyone I knew and loved could - when I was dead say - "See, he wasn't such a bad sort, his life had meaning".

The trick was,, I had to stop drinking to be able to join the Army. The catch 22 was, I couldn't stop and stay stopped long enough to get my **** together. The DUI sealed the deal. No security clearance, no Army.

So I went to AA to find out how they stopped. I did steps, went to meetings - in the back of my mind my "meaning" was still so I could get into the Army. The "deathwish" subsided though, but I still thought that was my "destiny".

When the reality hit that, that wasn't what was in the cards. I found my purpose. "Stay sober and help another alcoholic achieve sobriety". That's it.

As long as I'm alive, that's my purpose. Because I do that, I have been able to be - a husband, a father, a son, a brother, an employee, and enjoy things in life at levels I never thought possible. To feel a sense of ease and comfort in life - with all its stresses - that I never (before drinking or during) felt before. To be at inner peace, I've felt it. Man, it's awesome.

What is the meaning of life ? I've been told Love and Service to others. I buy that - today. Prior to my life changing moments experienced in AA and through Steps, I thought it was all about ME. All about ME. The less life seems to be all about ME, the more meaning in life I find. It's crazy, but true.

I stop making statements like "I know", when i don't, really.
I stop thinking it's all about me, when it is - but my sense of me is warped and selfish. I am but a small part of a larger body called humanity.
I stop making demands, except of myself to - take inventory, pray and meditate.

I could go on and on, but I've ranted enough. I hope it's helpful. Despair is a sucky place to be, I've been there before and it sucks.

It's like one sponsor told me - "Let's just pretend you don't know, all you think you know for a second and let's open our mind ....."

Something to that effect. I never regret doing that. Time and time again, I experience something new. Life has taken on new meaning and it's become more exciting to me than ever before.

I have no scientific proof, but it is my experiennce. I've been on the other side before and I like this side better, and I couldn't get here without help.

Anyway, best of luck.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by TheJungianThing View Post
...Time and time again, I experience something new. Life has taken on new meaning and it's become more exciting to me than ever before.

I have no scientific proof, but it is my experiennce. I've been on the other side before and I like this side better, and I couldn't get here without help.
Some guy wrote a book called "There is more to quitting drinking than quitting drinking" and the first time I read it, I thought "WTF"???

But now I see it is true. All I thought I needed was clean pee, people to quit criticizing me for drinking and life would automatically get better. When it didn't, I felt sobriety was not worth having and I went back to drinking.

When I began to experience the many promises of recovery, I felt like I had entered another dimension of existence. Sobriety was just the tip of the ice-burg. Now I ask the question; "What else is this Spiritual Awakening business good for?"
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Simply beautiful, JT.

Rest assured you accomplished your noble mission today.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Awesome share.....thank you.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent post; I share your persepective as my truth.

Thank you.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! Yes, it's helping others stay sober, passing on the message. When I crawled through the doors of AA I was surrounded by people willing to go to great lengths to help me. I'm alive because of them so I pass along everything I can to newcomers.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Good stuff, TJC. Although I try not to post on the 12-Step forum, I do read it rather extensively at times, and I do enjoy your posts.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is an awesome story thanks for sharing.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Excellent post!! Thank you.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like the saying "When i stopped drinking i had no idea i was going to get this sober!"...can relate to that...i would add "or want to get this sober"...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post! Put a smile on my face, thank you.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm happy I found this post.

Well said and I've had the same experience.

Feels good, doesn't it? To have a design for living that you didn't even know you needed.

Kjell~