Notices

Its everywhere!!!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its everywhere!!!!!

Why does it seem like this time of year, drinking is JUST PLAIN EVERY WHERE! It just seems like anything social, revolves around drinking. I hate it. I have been sober for a long time now and lately I just feel so alone in it, like I am just surrounded by drinking. All these people talking about "margaritas by the pool", "tiki bar with so and so", "party at this ones house", "time to relax outside with a beer", " "drinks with the bff", etc etc etc. Alcohol alcohol alcohol! Does anyone do anything without alcohol, besides me? Sometimes I just feel like I dont belong.

Might be time for me to go to some AA meetings, so I can feel like I belong somewhere. I really need to be around some like minded people and stop isolating myself so much.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt that way in the beginning - now I can honestly say I don't notice the prevalence of alcohol...I've noticed I've even stopped reading the specials at the local liquor shop when I'm waiting for a cab

Maybe you're onto something with the isolating...I find it easy to 'think too much' when I'm not connected with other people?

D
Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I know that awkward feeling. It takes time to get past it. I think of it this way...I'm going home with my wits about me, with no embarrassing moments because of drinking, and I'm not waking up with a hangover. All of the above would have happened drinking at the tiki bar with many other horrific unmentionables for certain. When I'm around alcohol and drinking, I think better them than me.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MINEr

Boy, can I relate. Still new to recovery, but as a restaurant worker, my whole life is innundated by booze. At my station in the kitchen, I have bottles of Jack, Presidente, pernod, and boxes of red and white wine. Step out front, and there is our bar with 16 taps and over a hundred types of vodka. When I get off late at night, what is the only thing open? Bars. Since I love what I do, and have zero plans on changing careers, I have accepted the fact that my resove must be strong to deal with the constant presence of booze.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, it's not quite everywhere.

It's not at my house.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replys! I think I just need to be somewhere where I feel like I belong and people are more like me. Instead of being odd woman out. Maybe I will check out an as meeting that is up the road tomorrow. I have been sober 1.5 years, but I think I would still be welcome.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't really see alcohol anywhere besides bars, some restaurants, and liquor stores. There are actually a lot of people who don't drink alcohol and there are a lot of places that don't serve alcohol.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Welcome Camedown. You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been battling the lure of alcohol for so many years (make that decades) that the only way I can beat is with a full out counter attack. I take alcohol for what it is to me: toxic in my system. It may not be toxic for others people, but it is for me. I work on my resolve constantly.

It is like when I see a good looking girl on the street (or guy is that is your case). If I want to remain a happily married man I look, but keep walking by. I have open alcohol in my house. I do have friends that I entertain. But my resolve to remain a happily sober and recovered person is a lot stronger than my need to get plastered. It takes work, but it sure is worth it.