Notices

day six and exhausted...

Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day six and exhausted...

today is day six of not drinking and i am absolutely exhausted... i feel like i could sleep all day. ive battled with depression and anxiety for years and am currently on medication...trial and error with getting the right strength and medication. in therapy every week. trying to get to as many meetings as i can. i went to a dual diagnosis meeting for the first time last night which addressed depression along with alcoholism. i just feel like now that im not drinking i have next to no energy or motivation to do a whole lot. making a meeting is an accomplishment ya know? i just wish that i felt better. i wish that i could get up in the morning and be positive. but im not. i dread the mornings knowing that i have to get through the day. i never used to be this way. i am definitely paying the price of the choices ive made but i wonder... when does this get better?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re:day six and exhausted...

Hi Adisa...

It does get better...over time. I know it's the last thing anyone wants to hear, especially with all the struggles you're going through, but it does improve -we promise. I remember how I felt early on in my sobriety and how overwhelming everything seemed. I suffered endlessly until one day I said "enough". The day I was introduced to my "crisis counselor" was my first day without regret. She not only helped me overcome those horrible fears I was accustomed too, but gave some much need insight on how to deal with life beyond my inhibitions. Tom, the "addiction counselor" helped me with the other problem (my alcoholism) and the rest has been etched in a "one day at a time" philosophy that has been a blessing ever since. There is still a measure of hope in every recovering alcoholic's story and we hope your story line will have a happy ending as well.

~God bless~
Old 06-25-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people find they're exhausted for a while adisa...I think a lot of us have put body and soul through the wringer for a long time...

It may take a while but I think most people start to feel more energetic eventually...for me, that was about a month, but of course your mileage may vary

if you're worried, a checkup with yr Dr is often a good way to deal with your concerns

D
Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was exhausted and unmotivated for a couple of months; probably not what you wanted to hear but it's pretty amazing when you get past the crappy stuff. I have 6 months sobriety ( a few days shy ) and I feel awesome. Life is pretty amazing again. It does happen.....I promise. Just hold on tight to get through the beginning, spoil yourself, get lots of rest and listen to your body. Walking helped me so much......get some good sneaks and just go! Get some good books as well. You can do this because in reality, drinking causes nothing but pain and heartache. The short term buzz is not worth the long term consequences. You can do this
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Adisa
I hope things improve- the alternative of using has it's own challenges. I am hoping that in time our brains we will find a nice balance. Like anything in nature that is not going to happen in a few weeks.

Take care
Old 06-26-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Consider this: when you were diagnosed with depression, were you drinking?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its only been 6 days. I know people who literally could not walk unassisted at day 6 of sobriety. Patience, it will get better. Your depression in and of itself was likely made worse by your drinking. Both it and your energy will get better with time.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

:
Day 6 is still very early for most of us to feel back in proper shape and you are also going thru med adjustments.

Please be gentle with yourself...by not drinking...you are doing what is best for you...well done on your sober time..
Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Adisa it definitely does get better. I found my medication didn't work while I was drinking. Now that it is doing what it is supposed to do I'm feeling great. I'm 65 days sober today and I can remember the first month thinking when does this get better the same as you. I gave myself a chance to dry out and realize I was ready to quit. At about 6 weeks things started to get alot better. I became more confident, lost weight, lost that bloated drinking face. Fight your best and you will come out on top. Like others have said spoil yourself, look after yourself and make getting sober your first priority.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

Congratulations on your 6 days!

I was exhausted the first 2-3 weeks...I slept for 10+ hours a night and would need a small nap during the day! I'm 6 weeks sober now and I wake up after exactly 8 hours of sleep (on my own,no alarm) feeling refreshed and ready for the day Give it time.Your body will tell you what it needs-listen.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm still getting used to the fact that I can no longer drink. I still feel temptations to drink especially when I'm anxious. I was self-medicating for my anxiety via alcohol. However, I did not realize that it actually made my anxiety worse the next day. I am still in the early stages of my recovery too. Although, every morning when I wake up, I'm thankful that I didn't drink.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i'm still trying to sleep. there are nights when i do not sleep at all. i'm not even tired. i have tried all the otc meds and nothing happens