Notices

Rib injury, can i take pain meds?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rib injury, can i take pain meds?

Drunk saturday, got in a playfight watching ufc with a friend.

We dont hit faces so he lit up my ribs.

They are pretty badly bruised.

Very hard to sleep and move around.

My last drink was early Tuesday morning sometime between 1 and 8.

Im not going to drink again, but im not sure if i can take anything?

Tylenol and motrin r bad for my liver and asprin/ibuprophen arembad for my stomach right?

Is tylenol/motrin ok if im not drinking anymore or if my liver is elevated r they still a problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would call your doctor to be honest. Be honest. Until then, try ice (wrap it up in a towel).

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Latte View Post
I would call your doctor to be honest. Be honest. Until then, try ice (wrap it up in a towel).

I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks, I don't have insurance at the moment and everything I've read online is that there is nothing they can do and it's just about pain management so that your breathing is not impeeded.

I'll probably just tough it out. Looks like I'm in for some fun weeks ahead.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had 3 cracked ribs a couple of summers ago - there's nothing they can do about it. It was uncomfortable to sleep, coughing/sneezing would about knock me on my butt... I took advil but found wrapping my ribs the most comfortable. I just got some of that medical stretchy wrap at Walmart and wrapped them up tight. That helped me a lot.

They took a while to heal and the pain lasted a while but I had to just tough it out.

Glen
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too wrapped my injured ribs with that elastic bandage stuff...and slept in a recliner chair for a while.
I have no history of either liver or stomach problems..I took Motrin with food. for maybe a week...it was a bit uncomfortable but not anything unbearable.

Do you have a plan this time for staying sober?
Welcome back...
Old 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Io you have a plan this time for staying sober?
Welcome back...
Find a meeting and a sponsor and get to work.

I was sober for 11 months, (mostly my wife's recent pregnancy) I have a new daughter and my wife and I decided to move back to San Diego from Dallas to be near her family.

I had a bit of a falling out with my sponsor before I moved out and figured I would find one out here.

I kept going to meetings in Dallas, but didn't start back up when I got to S.D. We got here in January, I started drinking in March.

I was thinking to myself this morning that I havn't been nearly as bad since I've been back in S.D. as I was in Dallas. So I did the quick 20 question quiz but only looked at the last 3 months since I've been drinking again. I still got 15 out of 20. I'm sure I'd hit the other 5 if I gave it another 3 months. I'll stop now before It gets worse I have a constant reminder for the next 5 weeks now too. UGH.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hmm...
I got a PM from a concerned member who said wrapping injured ribs was no longer the accepted way to deal with this issue.
Thanks for letting me know.

I was shareing my experience and sorry if it was taken as medical advice which as SR members we are not allowed. to do.

I do apologize and yes seeing a doctor is always best...maybe a free clinic is in your area. as some members have no insurance.
I've used free clinics ..in D.C. and in Fl. with good results when I had no private doctor or insurance.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

justsomeguy....
sounds like an excellent plan to me....all my best as you start a new chapter.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

+1 on what was already said...i broke 2 ribs in one of my last MMA matches. they shot my a$$ full of dilaudid and it didn't do a thing. breathing, laughing, laying down...everything hurt. I put my hand through my car window when i sneezed on the way home from the hospital. it's gonna be uncomfortable for awhile. the only thing that really helped me was ice and heat.

good luck
Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I broke three ribs last December. It was by far the most painful thing I endured. The pain diminshed over about 2 months. I was treated by a doctor and prescribed percocet which helped somewhat. The main thing is you don't want to wrap the ribs because that can cause even more problems. Coughing and deep breaths are helpful to clear the lungs. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are back and have a plan in place. A visit to the dr. would be the best thing