Notices

What are you doing besides drinking?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KBM

What are you doing besides drinking?

Sorry if there is already a thread like this but I did a search and didn't find anything too similar.

Anyways, this thought just popped in my head that this is a good idea to keep us occupied. I would be sitting at the bar right now, I am really having to fight the temptation but I can't let it win. When the cravings got really strong I looked around and said, what can I do that I have been neglecting cause I've been out drinking instead. So I went out and got some things I have needed for my house that would have gone to my booze money instead. There was a homeless man outside when I left, he asked me for $1, I gave him $10. So what are your plans besides drink for today/tomorrow/whenever, maybe we can share ideas and learn of more activities to do
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, aside from work and haging out with the family, I've gone on a couple fairly strenuous bike rides (15-20miles). I strung up my fishing rods last night, I'll probably take my oldest out fishing sometime this week. Wash, work on and ride my Harley. Yard work, cleaning, cooking, reading (The Big Book currently), and spending time on SR.

Most of these things are things that I used to enjoy before alcohol stripped me of motivation to do the things that used to bring me pleasure. It's only been 9 days but it's amazing to think that these kind of things were what I considered a pain or work, I now enjoy and find to be relaxing as well as taking my mind off of drinking.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Working full time, going to school at night, of course Brazilian Jiujitsu / MMA and hitting up some AA meetings from time to time. Basically staying busy doing healthy and productive things.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety......I worked full time....did a bit of voulenteering ..and attended an AA meeting daily...

I began eating healthy ..walked often and met new AA friends to socialize with...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i draw, paint, restore classic cars, occassionaly ride motorcross, and receintly have started doing some very light brazilian jiujitsu again. I was a monster in MMA in my 20's, but now i'm old and brittle and just try to stay flexible and use it for strength training now. it seems to really help my hip problems.

I also like to write and this week i'm teaching my daughter how to swim. I think i'm also going to start taking some college classes next fall because i want to firm up on my CGI skills.

i can do anything i want to do now that i'm not living on my knees as a slave to this disease. Life is good.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Just my experience/opinion - I think the best thing you can do early on is to totally immerse yourself in recovery. For me, it was AA (stepwork, meetings), counselling, spiritual reading, talking to my Elders, physical fitness, journalling, Sober Recovery.

If I didn't do this, I would, at best, still be "white-knuckling" (fighting temptation), more than likely I would be drinking.

I believe that by focusing on my recovery, I accelerated the time (about 6-9 months) it took to feel comfortable in my skin & to reap the incredible rewards of a sober life.

I'm 3 1/2 years sober now. Don't miss it and I am living an incredible life, something alcohol could NEVER give me.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know if you do AA, but in early sobriety I went to a lot of meetings and did a lot of BB reading.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When the weather holds up I love to bicycle with my husband. I attend AA meetings, exercise on my elliptical and treadmill, read, spend time on SR, work in my yard, take care of my animals (2 dogs, 3 cats), and keep my house clean....oh and I have a full time job.

Last edited by anew; 06-20-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do want to say that during the first few months of sobriety I spent alot of time in AA meetings and big book studies, and worked the steps with my sponsor. I also recieved counseling the my first year.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am now enjoying my life instead of hating it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Personally being a recovering alcoholic the last place I should be is in a bar.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

900 miles an hour with my hair on fire. 6 years into this and I wish I had 4 arms and 6 legs, but I'm greatful for the ones I do have. Imagine what is out there for us now and drop the clutch and floor it. Just dont forget what it was like and work on keeping what you do have. I do that with AA and a sponsor. Have fun
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keeping the house in better shape, exercising, spending more time with my kids, watching movies (and not passing out), reading. Thinking.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I am now enjoying my life instead of hating it.
I stay busy doing things that make me happy...work, being active in my AA homegroup, talking to other alcoholics, hiking, biking, volunteering at a local dog shelter, praying, journaling, spending time with family and friends, hanging out with my dogs, working the 12 steps, reading, and the list could go on and on.

If you are involved in AA, my advice is to find a homegroup, get a commitment there, and start going to fellowship. There are some really cool people in AA who love to have a good time! This weekend, for instance, I'm going on a float trip with other women in recovery, and I can't wait!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LOTS! would be the correct answer for me. It's been a few months since I relapsed and in that time I also quit smoking 61 days ago and went on a diet and have lost 22lbs so now that I can breath better and am more active I just have all this energy that I haven't had in years so I have been doing a ton of stuff lately. Just to name a few I did this week...

Walked 2 miles every day
Painted the railing on the porch
Edged the lawn
Put in more flowers in the flower bed
Cleaned up the backyard (was a BIG job I put off for way too long)
Framed a door
Repainted the kitchen wall
Replaced some baseboard molding/trim work
Cleaned out the hall closet and cabinets

Now I'm starting to get ready for a 2 week fishing trip with the family to our cabin in July.

Life is good

Steve
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
High on Life

Going to the gym, running marathons, working on my PhD, going to the movies, drawing, reading, hanging out with friends, pretty much anything I want to do........
Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Watching movies/series, playing computer games and eating, I exchanged the binge drinking for binge eating, and absolutely no excercises. My job is performed solely through computer. Man, I'm so fat, I must have about 145 KG (319 lbs)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here is a helpful, easy list:

Http://ow.ly/5o9hZ

GG
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just beginning to learn how to enjoy a sober life. =)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I made a craft with two little girls (mine and her friend) and then took them to the Gardens here at the state park and the beach. I proceeded to lose my wallet so we went back for a second time which we enjoyed more than the first.

It's been a few 24 since my last drink, but honestly, every day gets a little better.

Some days are still full of suck, but such is life.