Notices

Did I screw up (communion)?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I'm pretty sure any church that offers communion accepts the concept of transubstantiation.
Very few denominations believe in transubstantiation, and even transubstantiation doesn't provide an "out" for consuming alcohol, because the wine is both wine and blood after it is blessed.

But as I said before, I'm not sure I completely understand what constitutes a relapse, so I'm not sure that taking communion when you know you will be drinking wine is a relapse.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I too am Catholic and I have talked with a few priests and he said most if not all churches have juice they stopped serving wine 5 + years ago.

So are you 100% sure it was wine? Sonetimes I think I smell alcohol and its not its just something that triggered my senses that have been really altered through years of abuse.

Have you talked with the priest at the church? If no I urge you to take your fears to him after all that is part of what they do as a priest.

I have grown up in the Catholic religion for 50 years so I am not new to it..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Redneck Woman

Oh, it was definitely wine. I tasted the alcohol. But it was more than the taste, my body reacted to it. In exactly the way that it used to react to a slug of wine after a long dry spell. Not my imagination either, lol.

I'm a former Baptist, current Methodist, but went to Lutheran services on Sunday. Small congregation, and half of it was Mexican American. Half the service was preached, spoken, and sung in Spanish. Maybe the wine is a Lutheran thing? Or it might be expected by a Mexican American congregation? I don't know, I just know it had alcohol in it.

Thanks to all for your posts. It is good to know that I can admit to others that I did this, without them looking at me cross-eyed when I say I have 3 years sobriety.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It's really a matter of personal conscience. People have, as you can see, very different personal thoughts on it.

I don't know of any denominations that deem it a "sin" to pass on the wine at communion. So it really comes down to what you are comfortable with. I think if you aren't taking the wine/blood as a way of teasing or testing yourself, then it doesn't qualify as "drinking". OTOH, if the physical or mental reaction makes you feel uncomfortable then you can take the bread/body and pass on the wine.

Either way, you weren't expecting wine on this occasion, so try not to stress about it.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I heard this last night. A long time sober guy said he used to drink tonic water and lemon in early sobriety. He took a big gulp and they had served him gin and tonic instead. Fear rushed through him so he went to AA for 30 days straight and the cravings never led him to drink. I thought that was worth sharing. Now I just take the host and don't get near the blood(wine).
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I ran into this with another legal mind altering substance and it went back to "what was my intention?"

My intention was to take the Tylenol that my husband had given me for my strep throat. What he had given me was some of my daughters medication for the same thing but hers had my DOC in it. It wasn't intentional with either of us. Strep through all four of us for a month, exhausted, etc. We didn't make the mistake again.

I didn't change my clean time, but you'll have to decide for yourself what to do about your sobriety time.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Considering "contientious" drinking as an alcoholic, the following passage came to my mind.

From the chapter, "More About Alcoholism:"

“'Suddenly the thought crossed my mind that if I were to put an ounce of whiskey in my milk it couldn't hurt me on a full stomach. I ordered a whiskey and poured it into the milk. I vaguely sensed I was not being any to smart, but felt reassured as I was taking the whiskey on a full stomach. The experiment went so well that I ordered another whiskey and poured it into more milk. That didn’t seem to bother me so I tried another.'

Thus started one more journey to the asylum for Jim. Here was the threat of commitment, the loss of family and position, to say nothing of that intense mental and physical suffering which drinking always caused him. He had much knowledge about himself as an alcoholic. Yet all reasons for not drinking were easily pushed aside in favor of the foolish idea that he could take whiskey if only he mixed it with milk!"
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Redneck Woman

Contientious drinking?

Mine was just accidental. But you were probably responding to one of the other posters. I am a bit A.D.D. this morning.

Here is where I am on this issue now: I screwed up by not thinking to ask if it was wine or grape juice before partaking. However, it was a totally honest mistake (this is the very first time I can remember ever having wine at communion), and since I didn't follow it up with any other alcoholic drink, I don't consider myself relapsed.

Blessings to all.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hey Boo!

Of course, and I'm sorry for any confusion. With regard to your question, it sounds like you made an honest mistake. Forgive yourself, learn from the experience and move forward with something that may be useful to yourself or others in the future.

Best wishes to you.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

In my opinion, as long as you didn't drink anything afterward, you didn't relapse. Relax! Also, going to church is a good thing.