Notices

License Reinstatment and DUI's------

Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

License Reinstatment and DUI's------

Well internet friends it's been nearly a decade but thanks to sobriety I'm now attempting to get my license back after a "few" DUI's. The amount of paperwork and effort is ridiculous but I accept today that's what I have to do. I don't think about "what if I crashed and hurt someone" when I was drunk driving. The past is the past. I finally realize that I deserve better than the drug/alcohol lifestyle that I lived for so many years. I just had a updated DUI evaluation and it went good. I was 90% truthful. They even had me do a surprise drug test which I wasn't happy about but I did it because I know I would pass. I don't like being watched while I do the test. I had to get 6 letters from friends/family/AA members, pages of treatment notes ect...
Thanks to the program of recovery I have "high class" problems today. If I don't get my license back at the hearing next month I will try again in Oct.. It's not the end of the world. Being physically addicted to alcohol/drugs sure felt like the end of the world though.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"90 percent truthful"?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
"90 percent truthful"?

I do not believe that my mental health is any of their business. I have been discriminated against in the past because of it. This is just my experience. My sobriety and drug use I was truthful. My sobriety date, I was truthful. If everything goes right by fall I will have the money to pay the high insurance, a used car and a license. I currently have a pending law suit in Federal Court that looks like I will win. Legally, I cannot get into details. I believe that I have suffered enough consequences of drunk driving and it's time to move on. I deserve a better life today.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm wondering why you wish to have a car in Chicago?
Seems as tho it would be an un necessary expensive thing to have.
I kept mine current in D.C. but owned no car.

Or maybe...the point is simply to get the paper back?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Carol, yeah I think it's a matter of just getting it back. I could of been reinstated in 2003. I took public transportation for years. The only times I wish I had a car was in Jan. and Feb. because Chicago winters are COLD. I received my DUI's when I lived in the far suburbs where public transportation wasn't an option. Everyone is saying I won't get it back so perhaps I like a challenge?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know here in Minnesota after the fourth or fifth you're cancelled indefinitely unless it's changed... they told us that in our "DWI Class" - I had gotten my first and only back in 2007. The punishment wasn't horrible in comparison to what I've heard from others who get their first, but I learned my lesson. Couldn't drive freely for 15 days, the other 15 were "to the store, work and one other option", The reinstatement fee $680.00, $500 fine ($400 stayed) 2 year unsupervised probation which consisted of no same or similar violations, no driving w/o insurance (which I've never done), attend a one day class and 2 days of community service. In a way I wish it did include no alcohol use.. their FTF "assessment" told me I did not have a problem (besides getting caught, believe it or not this is what the probation officer told me. I met him once. Before I went into the courtroom with my lawyer to plead) But, I have cut down by miles since the DWI. Now is the time to give beer up all together.

Good luck!