Notices

Life can be beautiful sober.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life can be beautiful sober.

Sometimes I just sit still and think about where my life was six months ago. I'm at the point where I find it really hard to comprehend how I functioned as a drunk; always hungover, erratic and anxious. I used to go to work constantly hungover and sweaty and sick ( we all know that feeling ). It baffles me why I felt the need to live like that. Right now, at this very moment six months ago, I would be just getting up after a fitful nights sleep. I had the sneaky hangovers that would kick in full force around 12 or so. I would be useless for the rest of the day; depressed, sick and head pounding. Two weeks shy of six months later, I got up at nine, wonderfully refreshed. I brewed my coffee and got ready to head out to the lake for a walk. I know I sound somewhat nauseating to those who are in the early days of their sobriety but you need to know, it really does get better. I know the beginning days are hard because you feel like you have lost the one thing that made you happy. That is an illusion. Sobriety is the only thing that will make you whole again. I feel really blessed this morning. Almost six months sober.....and feeling pretty damn good

Tracy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm at 18 months and it just keeps on getting better.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

thanks for sharing shantra.. i always wonder how i managed to hold my job that last year of my drinking. i was really in bad shape! now things are completely different. the rewards of sobriety make even the worst day seem OK!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Shantra. I'm like you, I wonder "what was I thinking"? Feeling badly everyday, and continuing to drink. Now that I'm sober, I can't imagine going back to that awful life. It's NEVER worth it.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YoU get up at 9? I want your job

I get up at 5:45 to go to the gym and it ZUCKS every time but not being hungover is huge!

GG
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
YoU get up at 9? I want your job GG
LOL......no I get up at six for work; I don't work weekends......got up at nine to head to the lake for a walk.......
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are continueing to be sober...
Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems like all the little things we enjoy sober were glossed over when we were drinking. And all of the terrible things associated with drinking are surely not missed!

These are the kind of posts I need too - I have close to 8 years sobriety and it is amazing what great feelings I derived from reading this post.

Congratulations on your recovery and thanks for making my day!!

Dave
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Re:Life can be beautiful sober.

Hi Shantra...

You're right, life (today) has certainly been a blessing and I have everyone in the recovery community to thank for that. I sobered up some 9+ years ago and life has been enjoyable ever since. Don't get me wrong, there is an occasional bump in the road, but it can't compare with my previous life, not in the least. There are no more "wasted days" where everything gets put on hold because of my drinking. There are no more fears about tomorrow nor concerns about yesterday, because today is all I have. Resentments aren't commonplace anymore, neither are my failures and misguided rationalizations, just a promising outlook at a brighter future -One Day At A Time.

I'm grateful for the all the blessings that come my way and all the people who fill my life with the joys of sobriety. I'm forever grateful for the people who've molded me into the person I've become today. So, thank you AA, sober recovery and my sober network for giving me a chance at staying sober and enjoying the fruits of this wonderful sober life, here and now, one day at a time.

~God bless~
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well done on your sobriety journey.

I never knew how much more life was joyous and free with the simple act of eliminating a dangerous toxin from my body.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I must have quit at about the same time. Its really easy to forget how bad things were going. My quality of life has improved quite a bit too, looking at it!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Shantra I am so happy your joy and gratitude has not faded - does it come naturally or do you have to work on it ?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cannot wait to have that feeling. Especially working outside those morning sicknesses are not fun.
Also cannot wait to get out and start training for races (running).
Old 06-19-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It is so true!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE does it come naturally or do you have to work on it ?[/QUOTE]

I feel really blessed and grateful that I decided to get sober. My life just feels easy now. I suffered from really severe anxiety and am taking anti-depressants which have made a world of difference. Some people say that doesn't qualify as true sobriety; I say it does. Anxiety is a medical condition that runs in my family that I treat it with medication. I also walk ALOT. I live close to a huge lake and the fresh air does wonders for me. It always has. I have also began writing again which is something that got put on the back burner because I was always too hungover to care. So I think my answer is this; I do work on it in the sense that I do things that make me feel alive and happy but I don't have to try to feel blessed and happy; it comes from the way I choose to live my life now.....170 days sober :-D