Notices

20-Days Today

Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20-Days Today

Today is my 20th day sober and I feel great. I think what differentiates this time from other stretches of sobriety is the fact that before I was counting sober days, but in reality it was more of a countdown to my next drink. I would get a couple weeks in and give myself a reward, which is fine; however, my reward was more alcohol . . . definately NOT good. I finally realized that I just cannot drink anymore. Now my sober-day count is to remind myself that, as of today, I have 20 days of bliss under my belt. I plan to reward myself for sober-days, but with anything but alcohol.

Over the last 20 days, I have had engagements at which I would normally drink heavily. I was on a week-long business trip last week, most of which consisted of me just sitting in some re-certification classes. I would normally blow them off and drink all day. Instead, I woke early, went for a run, ate a healthy breakfast, and remained part of the group all day. I made dinner plans and drank iced tea. It felt great to come home full of energy. I would usually come home utterly exhausted and drunk! I also attended two functions where alcohol was served. I always cringed when I would think about such situations because I felt people would ostracize me for not drinking. Honestly, nobody even noticed.

I am taking this journey a day at a time, and sometimes just a breath at a time. I have had a pretty easy go of it over the last 20 days and I know that can change in an instant. I have been honest with my family and close friends about this problem. I have told them that the times when I am difficult to deal with and not fun to be around are the times I am drinking. You see, I am pretty good about hiding my drinking, except for I get onery and am an a-hole when I am on a good binge. This way, if things get tough (1) I can call on people to tell them I am having a tough time, and (2) it won't be so easy to hide. I think the kicker for me is that I am doing things for myself and not feeling guilty. Just like everyone else in this world I need time to relax. I used to feel so guilty about that and I would just drink to relax, or so I thought. Now, I take time for myself. Once I have decompressed I am much more attentive, and eager to help with household tasks or with others problems.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks everyone for your support.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your encouraging experience, Ethos! Please keep us updated as the sober days fly by.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All my best as you move forward...
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What other physical changes did you see or notice? Good job!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WTG Ethos
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your positive journey.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations, it sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep doing it one day at a time.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Re:20-Days Today

Congrats...and many more
Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
What other physical changes did you see or notice? Good job!
As for physical changes:
1. Sleeping better.
2. Not sweating all the time.
3. Running and exercising much more consistently.
4. Dropped weight.
5. Don't crave crap food.
6. No anxiety.
7. Skin looks better.

I could go on and on.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks! Great to hear your success. I'm trying to fight this really hard. It's really a challenge.

I'm going into my 3rdish week. Trying not to think about it. I continuously try to read up about the negative effects of alcohol to help me get over it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
Thanks! Great to hear your success. I'm trying to fight this really hard. It's really a challenge.

I'm going into my 3rdish week. Trying not to think about it. I continuously try to read up about the negative effects of alcohol to help me get over it.
In previous attempts I tried that too. This time I'm trying to just think of what I can do without alcohol in my life. This time is also different for me because I really took the time to do the inventory and realize that I cannot drink again, at least if I want to lead a happy and functional life.