Notices

serious anxiety wont let up

Old 11-21-2003, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

serious anxiety wont let up

I am having severe anxiety today especially tonite.I am on day 6 today.As some of you know I am on zoloft 100mgs. and klonopin .05am and .05pm but it doesnt seem to be helping and i dont want to take more klonopin cuz im trying to slowly wean off. Anyone else have bad anxiety/panic symptoms around this time?Last time i quit this did not seem to happen but i really dont remember for sure.Im just kinda shaky,nervous just uncomfortable.I felt better the first few days.Whats up?
Old 11-21-2003, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Patrick,

it would be best to check with your doctor to see what's happening, there could be any number of things going on with you.

I had a lot of anxiety at first too and just tried to go with it at its worst and when I was feeling ok would practice getting out amongst people again which seemed to help.

Hang in there.

Amy
Old 11-21-2003, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A lot of your anxiety is probably coming from thinking about it so much. Maybe try to get out, see a movie, whatever to take your mind off of the fact that you've quit drinking.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for replying so fast.I cant see my doc til monday.I am not concentrating on drinking at all but i am focusing on my anxiety big time.I did take another half klonopin cuz I dont want to panic.Everyday i keep telling myself it will get better but im still waiting.I got a headache and am just thinking hypochondriac thoughts like im gonna have a heart atttack or something.It may sound crazy but I just cant get my thoughts straight tonite.Im gonna try to sleep now.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Homer, Hang in there. Walking and
excersise will help produce chemicals naturally that your body is looking for.
Drinking would increase the need. It is only looking for relief until your chemical make up gets back to normal. This will happen but, only if you stay alcohol free. The others are right. Any kind of activity will get your mind off of it. What
helped me is to try and get outside myself. I did this by helping someone else. You can go help serve food at a shelter. Keep posting to the other new commers so they don't feel alone.I know you can do it.
I work in a hospital and have seen people get better once the channel their anger at the illness. Before that they get angry at God, family and others. You have alot of strengths, channel them to fighting any urge or desire. Bye for the weekend.
Don W
Old 11-21-2003, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I have to agree with Don.. excersise has had some really soothing effects on my tension and anxiety in the begining weeks. Do your best to take your mind of it.. I found jigsaw puzzles to be very
theraputic in keeping my mind from racing.
Keep the faith it get's a little easier each day and congrats on day 7!!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Homer !
I had bad anxiety and panic at about the same toime as you . I could not concentrate on anything, and was pacing something shocking !
For me , I drank water ++++ and went for walks, and sat glued to these boards and posted my little heart out . Also went to a meeting every day . it lasted about 48 hrs for me !

Just remember " this too shall pass"

HUGX
lee
Old 11-21-2003, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

It might be a good idea to walk up to the pharmacy and take your blood pressure on one of those machines they have. It is common to fear heart attacks when you have severe anxiety. Keep breathing slowly, excercise, stretch your muscles, and do a lot of self talk. Tell yourself that you can get through this until tomorrow. Tell yourself that it is only anxiety. Take 3 or 4 hot showers. Really be careful and pay attention to what you are telling yourself. Most of the time we talk ourselves into a panic attack.

Reassurances:

You are in complete control. No harm will come to you at all. You are not in any danger.

The feelings of comfort will come. The feelings of discomfort will end!

You have absolutely nothing to fear. These are just harmless feelings and harmless thoughts.

It’s a bluff and a liar. You may think this is different from other panic attacks, but it is not. It’s the same old anxiety and it is benign.

Trust these stated facts. Do not trust your feelings.

Feelings come and go. You will calm down.

Coping Skills:

Slow Down! Force yourself to breathe slowly and deeply.

Repeatedly stop any negative thought, image or memory.

Be patient and let time pass. Peace and comfort lie on the other side of anxiety.

Accept the feelings, don’t fight them. Let go and don’t add 2nd fear.

Focus your attention externally. Tune out your body.

Do some thought restructuring. How likely are the feared events going to occur? How well can you cope even if they do?

Positive Affirmations:

I am healthy and very mentally sound. I am competent, and I am safe.

I am intelligent, experienced and knowledgeable.

These feelings have passed many many times before, and of course they will pass again.

I am confident, I am assured, I am loving and lovable. I get to be happy and can handle things as they arise.

Hugs,
MG

Old 11-21-2003, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks MG that's some really good info.

Amy
Old 11-22-2003, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good info morning glory and everyone else.I had a crappy nite sleeping and for the first time had a drinking dream only in my dream i could not stop.It scared the crap out of me when i woke because it seemed so real,i was the worst case scenario alcoholic in the dream.I woke up though feeling pretty good,it could be because Im 34 today:bparty3 I am also walking a 5k road race while my son runs it this morning(hope he wins his division).Ill be back around later after I complete some neglected chores today.Thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 06:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey...Happy Birthday :star

phoenix
Old 11-22-2003, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy Bday!

Hey Patrick!

Happy bday and happy 1 week!

You are doing great. I like MG's suggestions for getting through the anxiety. I've always been one to do a lot of "self-talk," only now it's positive talk, rather than the lousy thoughts of being an idiot drunk.

Cheers!
Jayhay
Old 11-22-2003, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for the birthday wishes.Today was a great day.I copped out of the 3 mile race and went with the 1/2mile kids race Unfortunately I came in last AND i cheated part of the course.I started out with a jog,being passed by 12 and under kids immediately,before I knew it I was jogging with a man and his 3or4 year old daughter(didnt get to see her face though).Remember Im a ex-drinker and heavy smoker.I did finish dead last but I did finish(got applauded when I crossed the line) Tomorrow Im gonna try quit smoking(again) cold turkey. Ive been pretty relaxed today doing yard work,cleaning house,and just organizing things.I finished my FIRST week today and there WILL be many many more in my future.My turn on our only computer is up so gotta go now.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i have the same problem

Originally Posted by IMHomerSimpson
I am having severe anxiety today especially tonite.I am on day 6 today.As some of you know I am on zoloft 100mgs. and klonopin .05am and .05pm but it doesnt seem to be helping and i dont want to take more klonopin cuz im trying to slowly wean off. Anyone else have bad anxiety/panic symptoms around this time?Last time i quit this did not seem to happen but i really dont remember for sure.Im just kinda shaky,nervous just uncomfortable.I felt better the first few days.Whats up?
i am on effexor xr now twice a day and i still dont feel great, iam so afraid that its my heart maybe, but i wont know till my holter results come back in about 2 or 3 weeks.sometimes i feel like i cant breathe or like iam gonna pass out, my heartt used to race ,but thankfully that stopped now,i was so bad that i could not get out of bed for like 2 weeks,and if i did i would feel dizzy and heavy like there is something sitting on my chest.i have some questions---because my anxiety started about six months ago , but i never thought that it caould be that,because the first time it happene to me it only lasted for like 2 minutes. and then the second time it happened to me same thing only couple of minutes i felt like i had no air and my left arm was going numb and tight. but the third time it happened to me the anxiety stayed and its still not comletely gone yet. i question myself if it is anxiety at all ?? please let me now about ur symptoms ...
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Homer:

Don't spend too much time in from of the computer. Check in now and then but dont linger. Better to move your body.

My day 3 day 4 are the worst. Give it a week and it WILL be better. I dont want to drink again because I dont want to have another day3/4 again.

Get off the klonopin as soon as you can. Alcholics should not be on benzos, of which klonopin is one. It will make kicking booze completely more difficult even though it feels nice to have the anxiety edge taken off. ALSO klopin is a depressant, not good when battling the recovery blues. ALSO klonopin is hard on the liver, not great for us alkies. I am not an MD but based on my understanding any benzo will impede you getting off booze.
http://www.druginfonet.com/index.php...D=klonopin.htm

Hang in there!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is an old thread. Might be useful for Homer to see where he was a couple of years ago, though.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I didn't pick up on the age of the thread because it sounded so much like where Homer is today.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

But I stand by what I said about klonopin, Homer, I think it ended up making recovery harder. I think MD's do want to help, and how they are taught to help is to help is be more comfortable, and it ends up causing even more pain in the long run.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

drama queen,I can relate AND thanks for bringing back this time of my life when I was down and out(thats a good thing you did).Its been just about 2 years now since I posted that,got worse for a while and then stabilized and returned right back to the stage when I first searched for a place like this to begin being a non-drinker.Instead of being 34,Ill be 36 in 2 months and Im still EXACTLY where I was for the past 10+ years(only 1 notch higher on the pain scale).Sorry I cant help with the anxiety issue,dramaqueen,but you WILL find someone here who can,now help,when you need it.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

and andrew,as for the klonopin,I went to my dr. about 6 months ago and he prescribed me a antihistamine instead of klonopin saying Ive been on klonopin for tooo long and need to try something milder.Ok,I tried it,but went to a walk-in medical center and made up some lie that my dr. was on vacation and was I out of klonopin(2 months supply handed to me).I now only use walkin for refills and regular dr. for "real" stuff.Im a winner,huh?