Notices

The ability to cheat makes it hard to stay sober

Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Midwest, those dangerous withdrawals you are having are not normal at all. You are taking a major risk by continuing to drink alcohol. It is like knowing you are allergic to shellfish but only if you eat a whole lobster so you try to only eat half. Eventually you get really hungry and eat the whole thing. Not good.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

MidwestGem, I don't know you or much about your situation but the first question that came to mind was, "how much does MidwestGem really want to stop drinking?" My suggestion would be that you assess your desire to quit because that's going to be the single biggest factor in whether you will stay sober.

Maybe you don't want to stay sober- that's your call- but if you want to quit you have to do what it takes. And for some period of time that very well could mean not going to events where you know alcohol will flow and you will be tempted.

The other thing that came to mind is "benzos and valium...are you crazy?" Could just be me but I've read a lot of horror stories about benzos and addiction and from personal experience I know all about valium- as someone with an addictive personality there's no way I'd ever touch that stuff again. The detox goes away pretty fast if you let it run its course on its own.

Anyway I don't know if this helps you but those were my reactions.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
High on Life

You know what they say, cheaters never win.............
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please be less specific when discussing meds remember our our guideline

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidwestGem View Post

Bascially, I enjoy social drinking, but did I ruin my bodys brain chemistry by basically binging for that 6 month straight, and now I need to allow it to heal if I ever want to touch alcohol again? Or do I have to just walk away from it, because the damage is done? Because obviously a month and two weeks off of alcohol didn't correct much of anything. I need to do some research and then talk to my doctor as well.

Thank you every for your responses btw.
it absolutely does alter your brain chemestry. one of my closest friends in the world is an addiction counselor and not only does it change your brain chemestry, but it alters your body down to he cellular level.

it was explained to me that neurologically, if you can picture your brain, we have a net like barrier that covers it made up of neural transmitters. when we continue to abuse alcohol that net that helped filter out all of the horrible effects of withdrawal gets thinner and thinner. it gets thinned to the point where she has seen patients who were alcoholics go on weekend benders and come back with full blown DT's after months of continued sobriety.

so in answer to your question, if you're really honest with yourself...you probably will never be able to drink safely again.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
it absolutely does alter your brain chemestry. one of my closest friends in the world is an addiction counselor and not only does it change your brain chemestry, but it alters your body down to he cellular level.

it was explained to me that neurologically, if you can picture your brain, we have a net like barrier that covers it made up of neural transmitters. when we continue to abuse alcohol that net that helped filter out all of the horrible effects of withdrawal gets thinner and thinner. it gets thinned to the point where she has seen patients who were alcoholics go on weekend benders and come back with full blown DT's after months of continued sobriety.

so in answer to your question, if you're really honest with yourself...you probably will never be able to drink safely again.
That's depressing.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Why? Honestly, what's so great about drinking alcohol?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jim....

Please take time to check this out....

Alcohol Chemistry and You
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol, I really researched that.