Notices

What is "Normal"

Old 06-04-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is "Normal"

Does anyone else ever think about this or is it just me? What really is "Normal" and does such a thing even exist? Society seems to define it one way, you're supposed to go to school, get good grades which will get you a great job so you can get married, raise 2.1 kids and live happily ever after. Your kids can then repeat the same process and on the cycle goes.

If it were so simple then why have people since the beginning of time sought out altered states of consciousness either through the destructive methods such as drugs and alcohol or the seeking methods such as meditation, religion, a spiritual awakening or whatever method you prefer to choose.

We ask ourselves why we're here, what's the purpose of it all? We look at the world around us and our tiny little place in it and often feel disconnected. The best-laid plans of mice and men often go terribly awry, there are "black swans" (unforeseen events) that just have a way of happening. We get dealt the short straw, tragic things happen and we realize that we have no back-up plan.

I often wonder how many "normal" lives are just a few "black swan" events away from being thrown into total chaos. When the going gets tough, the tough are supposed to get going but it doesn't always seem to work that way. It's so much easier to head for the exits, to find your comfort in drugs or alcohol but it never works, many have tried and All have failed with that plan.

Are you ready to deal with the "black swans". What's your back-up plan?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess i would look at this as in what is normal behaviour, i.e. what is healthy behaviour...add the word behaviour and you have answered the question...assuming you know what healthy behaviour is...as for what is "normal", thats like saying what is hot, you are going to get a bucket load of different answers based on opinion and perception:-)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hahaha, you're asking the wrong fella here.

Deep post though, very thought provoking. In the end I don't know but I suspect I'd fall in line with yeahgr8's response.

What's healthy, life affirrming, and is conducive to satisfying the three human needs - spiritual, physical, mental (emotional) - without compromising the health of them in ourselves or others ?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you may be talking about healthy vs. sick, specially when in matters related to addiction. It never occurred that I didn't have to drink ... after a lot of years in recovery, therapy, steps, meetings I have the miraculous gift of a quiet mind. I choose not to drink today but there's nothing else I have to give up. My motto is: nothing ever gets so bad it couldn't get much worse with alcohol.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
I never wanted to be normal.. special was my goal...
With Gods forgivness and direction....by living the AA Steps...I surpassed that.

I'm a living recovery miracle.....and I know many others...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
What really is "Normal" and does such a thing even exist?
Of course it exits. It is just west of Shangri-La.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Normal exists in your mind. Your perception will tell you what normal is. If you focus on "black swans", they will come in a flock. The key to why you are here and where you are going all depends on why you want to be here and where you want to go.

Believe it or not I find all of your questions pretty easy to answer....for myself. But they probably wouldn't mean anything to you and they might be unbelievable to others, but they are truths to me.

You are what you believe you are, and you will get what you focus on most.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know What normal is...I kind of think it means you don't know someone well

Since getting sober I have decided to embrace my authentic self...still trying to unearth her but I'm pretty sure she doesnt pass as normal
Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Post Re:What is normal?

What is normal anyway? Good question. Is it normal to drink unmercifully into the wee hours of the morning, knowing you had to get to work by 8 am? Is it normal to drink and drive, putting someone else’s life in jeopardy, especially if you can’t walk to your car? Is it normal to neglect your family, friends and the needs of your children, so you can continue to drink? Is it normal to pass out, vomit or urinate all over yourself, because of drinking? Is it normal to abandon your career, your life and the needs of anyone, to further your drinking? If you have answered “yes” to any of the above questions or know anyone that has, than you’re in the right place. There is still hope for anyone and AA, this forum and recovering alcoholics in general can testify to that. Keep hoping, keep believing and keep praying for a miracle until you become one yourself.

~God bless~

P.S. That was me before I "came to believe". Not for today -Thank God
Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

Mr David
Many a time I would be driving to work after a morning finish worried I was over the legal limit. That was the 'old' normal for me !!