Notices

Feeling angry with myself for drinking too much

Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling angry with myself for drinking too much

Pretty generic thread title I guess, but it is exactly where I am at.

Yesterday was not Memorial Day for me, it was a big reason/ excuse to drink. I am at a place where I constantly cycle through the week with no drinking Monday - Wednesday,then I usually drink Thursday - Sunday. By the following Monday I am so disgusted and angry with myself that I can use that as fuel to keep me from drinking for a few days.

But after that wears off, i pick up a beer again. I was hoping for some tips on how to break out of this cycle! The thought of no drinking again feels kind of like looking over a cliff (mentally that is... - its like there is just oblivion in a world without beer).
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My only solution was to get help. I wasn't able to do it alone and I found I didn't have to.

Welcome to SR. I'm so glad to see you here. You aren't alone either.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

its like there is just oblivion in a world without beer

I got news for you, there is nothing but oblivion in a world with beer if you are an alcoholic
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I felt it was like taking a leap of faith when I knew I couldn't drink anymore.

Take the leap and break the cycle.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am new here but have been reading various posts for a few weeks, it is helpful to know I am not alone and to see the support here.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah, I kind of felt like that too. I knew I needed to quit drugs and alcohol, but I just didn't think it could be done. Well, it can be done, but you have to want to do it. I recommend looking up AA meetings in your area and checking them out.

Nobody says you have to become a member. Just go listen and see if something resonates with you. Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you're not alone ...and if you've been reading, you can see that many people go through the same cycle.

Thursday is your trigger???? Make a firm plan to stay sober that day and have some alternate activities lined up to make you want to STAY sober....I had to change up my entire after work routine.

you CAN do this, but you have to WANT it. just look at Thursday as the start of a better weekend, feel better physically on Friday morning and mentally too.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

pissed off and hate my self

Hey Bud, in the same boat, i just had 4 day of drinking 35 pints and it now does nothing to me, just ease the sickness feeling and panic, that was 35 pints over 4 days and 95 units, really pissed off with my self and still i think to tapper off the beer as i blew monday so start next week, what an excause to drink again, this is madness, been up since 1am this morning and living on nerves. when o when will i learn, the body is blotted and look and feel a mess. went docs last week and he gave me some meds 5mg chiordiazepoxie, so dont want to take as read bad vibes, after 3 days i feel better off the beer and start over again????
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ca**swholesale

This Thursday get up and do a couple meetings. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
you're not alone ...and if you've been reading, you can see that many people go through the same cycle.

Thursday is your trigger???? Make a firm plan to stay sober that day and have some alternate activities lined up to make you want to STAY sober....I had to change up my entire after work routine.

you CAN do this, but you have to WANT it. just look at Thursday as the start of a better weekend, feel better physically on Friday morning and mentally too.
Fridays are my 'trigger' days, and I am going to try this weekend. I'll probably be here, and googling the negative health effects of it. I made a lot of post its this week to help myself. =)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reed
welcome

Support was key for me too. I tried to do it on my own - it didn't work.

I needed support and help - wherever you find it...recovery groups like AA or SMART etc, counselling, rehab, or here on SR - reaching out really helps.

Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know how you feel..... I drank myself silly, did stupid things, spent almost all my money and just got paid. Then had withdrawal panic attacks this morning, and because of that, and admitting I was drinking again after rehab, might be getting discharged from the military. I will lose my car and apartment. I may be homeless soon..........
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

An alcoholic can go days -- a lifetime -- without drinking, it's what happens when we pick that first drink up. Some people can get sober alone but I need the support of people in AA where I was taught: it's only today I don't drink. that's it. How do I know what I'll do tomorrow, next week, next month? Simple program for complicated people. Now it's 7171 days later (just checked the site's sober clock).

I started drinking on weekends but this is a progressive disease and I became a daily drinker. The problem is when I pick up a drink I have no control over what happens, how much I drink, if I go into a blackout or not.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Reed22.... and ohnooooo....

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ohnooooo

Fear used to get me too - never before I drank, when it might have been useful LOL - but always afterwards when I looked around at the wreckage - physical, financial, legal and emotional - that I'd caused.

I don't know the intricate details of your situation or history, although I have read your other post - but try and relax...the best things you can do today are to stay sober - and reach out for some help.

Things might not be as bad as you think - but I can guarantee drinking again will not help.

D
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Groundhog Day, I remember it well.

I went through the same cycle for a few years, I still recall the feeling on Thursdays, "you have made it three days without drinking why not have a few" Friday morning wasn't that bad so why not drink all weekend. Then the avalanche of doom on Monday Morning, get through Monday, Tuesday productive, Wednesday feeling great getting a lot done, back to Thursday and so on and so on. That was me 2007 until this year. Been five months and I can not tell you how much better my outlook is everyday.. But do not fool you self getting sober does not make all your problems go away, it actually makes you address them which can make them go easier to deal with, with out remorse or fear.

Reed you can do this and there are many people here that can help you through it.

Best of luck,