Notices

What motivates you to stay sober?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

further liver damage/not promoting anymore scarring to my liver/
death due to my alcoholism and leaving a humiliating legacy. no one respects people who have no respect for their own body (abusing it w. alcohol).
Old 06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

For me, it is no longer about motivation to stay sober. While we live one day at a time, AA promises us that we can be sober for good and for all. Provided, of course, that we take a few simple actions and maintain (really, grow) a fit spiritual condition.

I am now motivated to continue seeking, growing, learning, and living the AA spiritual program of action for the sake of experiencing a life beyond my wildest dreams.

The mental obsession that literally plagued me is gone -- suddenly, entirely, completely, and thoroughly. Not a single thought remains. My desire to drink has disappeared. The 10th step promises have come true in my life. The problem has been removed.

Sobriety is no longer the end or the goal. Instead it is a side effect of something much bigger. My spirit has been awakened, I have been reborn, and I am alive to the God of my understanding. That is the real miracle here. I was dead and now I am alive.

I do not plan to just settle for sobriety. I believe my sobriety is a small taste of what is in store for me if I continue to nurture and grow this way of life. I fully intend to find out where else this spiritual awakening business can take me.
Susan
Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ok darklight...now I will have nightmares...lol

I'm trying to think of something that motivates me to stay sober and I'm drawing a blank....more importantly I can't think of a single motivating factor NOT to stay sober.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say I need anything to motivate me to stay sober, I just found that I really like myself sober and I learned how to enjoy life. When I became addicted to a happy live not drinking became a pretty easy decision.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

The insane level of hate I have for myself. If I drink and lose control over something then it's ammo to torture myself with. Then there are times where I just make myself feel so horrible that I shut down and nothing effects me a anymore. So when I start to drink I have a choice between dealing with the stress like a normal adult would, which always ends with me crying. Or again with me on the ground and crying because I have made myself feel so horrible. It gets exhausting so I try to avoid emotional situations
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

myself. I just like myself a whole lot more sober
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

There are many things that are keeping me sober, but the most important one is just the fact that I now feel I have control over my life rather than letting a substance direct my each & every move. Now I can do What I want When I want and not have to plan ahead to plan around being hungover or plan on how/when to get drunk.

Life is just much much better this way.

Steve
Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

I'm also more of the "nothing motivates me to drink" mentality, as opposed to what motivates me to stay sober. Glass half full versus half empty, in a way. Granted I'm only 72 days in but the promise of a buzz no longer holds the allure it once did for me...because I know the high price I'd pay for it. I'll talk stupid, act stupid, look stupid, feel stupid...sheesh, maybe that's what also motivates me lol.

Good thread and wishing you the best on your journey, Cheeky
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have tons of reasons to stay sober and it varies daily, sometimes the reason is...it's easier to stay sober than to get sober. It is easier for me to get through this day sober than to drag my butt back to my sponser and tell him I relapsed.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I really like myself right now. I really apply the AA program to my life as best as I can, i hit meetings, I post on websites, I try to spread the word of AA and sobriety without being preachy. That also motivates myself.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

No matter how hard life gets while I am sober there is always hope. When I was active, there was no hope, just a desire to die in my sleep, not have to feel miserable any longer.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
orangutan

My health.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CheekyAngel View Post
well...
Since I quit drinking my wife moved out, i lost my job, my son was arrested, my daughter got divorced and my Father passed away last week.....
But....
Since I quit drinking my Grandaughter learned to say "grandpa I love you", i found the best job i have ever had, my daughter is happier, my son had the charges dropped and I haven't had a hangover even once!
Tomorrow is always another day, we choose if it's a better one.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

The fact that drinking doesn't work anymore. When i drink, i get a slight euphoria for 20-30min. Then, intense anxiousness that the 'calm' is going away. And i'm aware that i'll keep trying to chase this 'calm' by drinking more and more. And that the best case is that i wake up sick and full of self-loathing. And that worse, i'll make decisions that i'll regret. And aware that i knew all this before i started drinking, and i started drinking anyway.

Alcohol is an abusive relationship for me. Any short, small enjoyment excitement found is less than the long term sadness, anger and feelings of helplessness that comes with it.