Notices

What motivates you to stay sober?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

As crazy as this might sound and I may change my mind later, but I don't want to be motivated. I don't want to play the game anymore.

Asking me what motivates me to stay sober is implying that I have to engage with King Alcohol. I am giving up my citizenship and I am done being a shivering denizen of his mad realm.

There is no more "I can do this", "I got this", "How do I reaffirm my resolve?", How do I get motivated?". All there is, is "just is".

I hope that makes sense and that is my answer for now.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can look at myself now in the mirror, or think about my life and who I am - and not feel disgusted or be ashamed.

Who wouldn't want that, Cheeky?

D
Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's better than jail & a lot less expensive
Old 05-31-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My beloved dogs. Living sober enables me to give them the best possible life and just knowing they are happy and healthy makes me happy.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fear of death. I came within a hair's breath of dying because of this disease. I don't think I'll get another reprieve. But also I really like being sober now, even on bad days. Because when I'm sober any situation can change. When drunk, every day is the same.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CheekyAngel View Post
well...
almost nothing. in fact, i'm just angry about it still. nothing got me to want to get sober except my ill health. thats it.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll find other reasons winegirl.
What are you using for support?

D
Old 05-31-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You know, I don't even really think about it all that much any more. It's just the way I lead my life now. And those times that the thoughts creep in I just tell myself that life has been better without it. As good as that alcohol sounds once in a while, I don't have it, for the same reasons I'd avoid donuts or cigarettes.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Spending the day with my grown kids and my grandchildren and waking up the next morning remembering every precious moment! I can't think of a better motivation than that.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

-my new relationship with God
-my child
-feeling good in the AM when I wake up
-not having a fish tank feeling head
-pride in new found things
-the way others view me now that I am sober
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Fear of death
My first few years in recovery that sure was true for me, as I had died during detox and they were putting the time of death on my medical chart.

As I stayed sober, i have come to enjoy life tremendously without alcohol. Everything is so much brighter, funnier, sadder, etc

And it is fun.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CheekyAngel View Post
well...
great thread!

i have Many things that motivate me to stay sober.. my #1 is a sense of Hope..
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by winegirl View Post
almost nothing. in fact, i'm just angry about it still. nothing got me to want to get sober except my ill health. thats it.
Hell yeah! That was me at first too. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

........that was 4 years ago though....

Luckily, thankfully, I was blessed with sticking around enough to discover some of the "sobriety is really the better way" lessons that were completely lost on me early in the program.

Only reason I stayed sober at first was because it was literally forced upon me. 24/7 monitoring by a SCRAM alcohol tether..........for 9 months. And lemme tell you, I wasn't too happy about it. I really NEVER wanted to ever give up drinking. I can honestly say I don't recall EVER thinking "I should really give this stuff up." At best, I wanted to slow down.....or get some additional control. Quit altogether.....forever??? not me....not in my history anyway.

Looking back at it, I think my HP knew the score and realized I was too frickin' stubborn, defiant and ignorant to willingly do what I needed to do......so He stepped in and upped the ante.

I was told over and over and over again that, if I hung around......and made a honest attempt to do what the other recovered alkies were doing......I'd find some parts of sobriety that I only dreamed of having when I was "using." I heard it from enough ppl that I figured they couldn't ALL be in cahoots...... so I gave this recovery deal.........this sobriety lifestyle......and the AA program a reasonably fair shake and even though I was pretty sure it was all BS. I started doing the work, got a sponsor and started in on the steps (all the while convinced that it was a hoax and I'd be back to drinking sooner or later). Well, I couldn't have been more wrong.........

"Don't give up before the miracle happens" comes to mind........and to find out what that is....."stick with the winners." there, the only to "AA sayings" that I like. LOL. They were VERY true for me and, as I said, I didn't even really want to quit drinking and/or get sober. This darn thing sure does work......IF you work it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Some day, when I'm in the old folks home gumming my food, I want to be able to look back on my life without regret.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just wanting to escape the living hell i was in motivated me for the first few months whilst doing the work in AA...now i'm neither motivated or not it's irrelevant, i was told that was the way it would be when i first walked into the rooms and i didn't understand it then...so no motivation to stay sober and no motivation to drink now:-)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 19 and I am having trouble but what's keeping me in check and motivated right now are the people in AA. I know I should say my family, friends, etc. But honestly it's the people in AA. I feel like they are my higher power right now and they came into my life for a reason that I can't ignore.

I crave alcohol every day even right now! I'm very restless and frustrated that this is even an issue. If I didn't have to stop I wouldn't but the reality is I will lose everything, including my life if I don't.

I'm just a baby to recovery and I want my BINKY!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I enjoy life more, sober.

I have fully accepted that I can not control my drinking so the only way to keep this life is to stay away from alcohol.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Nice answers all. Im genuinly happy for those of you who have gotten sober and found the happiness from life that you all deserve.

Those strugling, keep on going, you will have this happiness that is deserved for you from life. It may be tough but it will be all worth it.

Hard work and constant effort pays off. I too one day will find this out for myself. Until then, i dont really feel i have the right to comment much more!

So keep on fighting the fight for life...which consists of peace, love, joy, happiness, and the list goes on and on and on...

*i left out a smilie on the sentance regarding me, but one day i will add it in!*
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

lol