Notices

What is a relapse?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Slip, relapse, falling off the wagon, "out there", etc, just words and terms. You know you're not sober. What more...Example, if I'm sober from xanax and then I find a pill in an old coat pocket, take it, I'm not sober, and instead of 5 months sobriety, I've got one day.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Day 1 or day 100001. What is the difference? If you decide to live your life without alcohol, then live your life without alcohol. I know that if I decide to have just one beer today, I will be drinking myself under the table 4 or 5 weeks from now. Celebrate each day without alcohol.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

The idea behind sobriety is abstinence from alcohol. One beer is not abstinence and does not support the purpose behind sobriety. Seems like there are many different "opinions" on what constitutes a slip, relapse, returning to old behaviors...isn't it really all the same? That is how I see it anyway. If I were to have one sip, I would consider it a relapse and would have to examine my behavior and how I got to the point of considering drinking again. I can never drink alcohol again. To me, it is that simple.

If I were to take a drink, I would soon be off and running. My last drink turned into a 9 day drinking binge. It scared the he*ll out of me. It all starts with one drink. I'm not willing to head down that slippery slop. Please be careful...
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm trying to be careful by being proactive. My brain keeps telling me that I can have just one beer and then go back to my new routine. I know this isn't true. One beer will turn into a week of drinking. But, I know that counting days isn't good for me either. When I walk into the meeting, I see all the names of people and their sobriety date next to it...makes me cringe.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

What is relapse?

How does one really know when we lie to ourselves (and others) so much when actively drinking?

When. When was it that I truly stopped trying to control my drinking and honestly had a desire to quit drinking?

I'll never know. All I know is when I had my last drink and how I feel now.

Kjell~
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

4MyMel,
I have an idea for you, if you are interested that is. Why don't you give your sober date to your sponsor or good AA friend and then just forget about it? Let someone else worry about the date so that you can focus on living in today and taking the actions necessary (i.e., working the twelve steps) to achieve solid sobriety.
Susan
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
I'm trying to be careful by being proactive. My brain keeps telling me that I can have just one beer and then go back to my new routine. I know this isn't true. One beer will turn into a week of drinking. But, I know that counting days isn't good for me either. When I walk into the meeting, I see all the names of people and their sobriety date next to it...makes me cringe.
Until last night, i had no idea there were meetings where people signed in and put down their sobriety date. This is astonishing to me. Perhaps you may suggest a change?
Old 05-27-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When I walk into the meeting, I see all the names of people and their sobriety date next to it...makes me cringe.
I would cringe too, and probably turn on my heel and walk out of that meeting... and never return...

Anonymity is a spiritual principle .... and IMHO a list of names of those who attend the meeting next to their date of sobriety is a violation of that principle... perhaps there are reasons why a group might want to do such a thing... but the risks of ego inflation, and status within the group, would just be too great, IMHO... And just look how it has affected you!!

Bleh....

Find another meeting.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So not all meetings do this? The names, first name and last initial, are listed on a white board and a sobriety date next to it. At the meeting I went to today, they had a month end celebration for all people who had sobriety dates in May...they announced the number of years and gave them a coin. ......
Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

On a white board?... So what they doin' keepin' score... LOL... or maybe, oh well... hell, I've got no comment... Hmm, an AA leader board... LOL... Never saw that...

Celebrating sobriety milestones, well, that's OK by me... we do that to give others hope...
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Post Re: Relapse

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Having a beer would be drinking alcohol again. I quit drinking alcohol. So yeah, there's some incongruency there.
So true...How can I measure a relapse? By times not beers. The further I drink, the less likely I'll quit. That's if I'm lucky...death is always an option and one I choose not to explore. For today that is...thanks be to God and AA.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I am VERY black and white. I don't keep track of my 'numbers', but I do remember the last time I drank, and never want to lose that memory.. and that was on 9/1/08. I think that memory is more helpful to me than however many days it's been since then. And you CAN guarantee that you wont drink again, seeing as how it's entirely up to you, and within your control as long as you're working on your recovery and staying engaged in your progress/health.

Course, I can see how having a beer "here and there" and not considering it what it IS, (drinking), is dangerous thinking.. that can turn into.. we'll I'm sober "most of the time", or "23 days last month" etc..all the while fueling the progession of alcoholism, which is fatal if left untreated. I will never flirt that closely with any of my addictions. My sober time counts, but my sober time moving forward counts more.
I'm curious as to what brings people here, even after they've been sober, especially for a few years. That's a real sign of strength and it provides courage for others that need help, like myself.

I still get a sense that those recovering are harsh on themselves.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I like the responses, thank you. Its hard for me because I'm a black and white thinker. One drink = failure. This makes me worry, because I can't guarantee that a slip up will never happen, but this way of thinking will definitely doom me.

I just feel this way because at the AA meetings there is so much emphasis on numbers! 30 days, 60 days, multipile years etc. I am on day 8, but at the AA meetings I don't raise my hand when they ask if someone is under 30 days. I just feel that will set me up to fail with all these numbers in my head. This comes from a long history of eating disorders and dieting...everything is in the numbers!
I'm ALL OVER everything you just wrote. There seems to be NO IN BETWEEN and the numbers!!! im sober from about some time in april. big freakin deal. i dont do steps, i dont do day counting, i dont do 'relapse' so far but im sadly mistaken if i am thinking that i will never drink again. and i wont kill myself over it, nor anybody else. this is my personal PRIVATE struggle. i dont feel that there is a this or that. i have a drinking problem. i dont drink right now. dont make me make false promises to myself or anybody else. (especially not strangers in a hot room who smell mostly...)
Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by winegirl View Post
I'm ALL OVER everything you just wrote. There seems to be NO IN BETWEEN and the numbers!!! im sober from about some time in april. big freakin deal. i dont do steps, i dont do day counting, i dont do 'relapse' so far but im sadly mistaken if i am thinking that i will never drink again. and i wont kill myself over it, nor anybody else. this is my personal PRIVATE struggle. i dont feel that there is a this or that. i have a drinking problem. i dont drink right now. dont make me make false promises to myself or anybody else. (especially not strangers in a hot room who smell mostly...)
Some people need benchmarks, some don't. How do you remember where you're going if you forget where you've been?

Stick 30 strangers in a room and it's going to stink a little ;p ever been to a bar lol!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

knock it off

thanks, 'oohhh nooo' for your post. I guess i'm really struggling now. i dont want to be bothered with meetings. I just want to struggle on my own and i have physical issues to deal with. All I can manage is that today and yesterday and tomorrow, I wont drink. BUT WHY? the reason is that im not well or healthy. i never drank that much to begin with! dont drink? oh ok and dont eat xy&z? ok and dont smoke? ok i'll work on it...

and guess what...EVERYBODY RELAPSES AT SOME POINT. And dont tell me about the steps and about Jesus (other programs). I really need to focus on the REASON I'm drinking too much and to get healthy. It just got out of control, like many others say. You kind of ignore it and then one day realize ...'gee I'm not myself anymore. \

That, alone is enough to make me not want to drink.
For now.

I like this forum, usually but its kind of depressing, to be honest. everyone makes it seem like this 'losing battle' and that you have to 'commit'.
I'm lucky i committed to marriage and being a mother. Leave me alone. So, I wont drink. happy??
Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just wondering. Would having a beer constitue a relapse? Or is a relapse going back to your old ways?
Relapse in my book.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

winegirl.....hope things smooth out for you soon...

all my best to you and your family
Old 06-11-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am 28 days sober today and have been drinking for 15 years. I've read about all of the chemistry in my brain that I've altered. Don't really understand the GABA and receptor crap, but I know I did the damage. So, after reading here the past month and asking questions, I figure it can be 6 weeks to 6 months until I'm fully clear headed and get my gaba back lol. I feel if I had one drink, it would set my chemistry back to day 1 or so. After 28 days I notice the positive difference and wouldn't jeopardize it.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. Yes it's a relapse. Chemically, Physically, Mentally, and if it applies to you, Spiritually.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

lovingit ....well done on your sober time...