Notices

Almost Arrested

Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I have worked for many years in the DV field. What you did by pushing your wife is, in fact, domestic violence. The State does not tolerate it even if the victim is willing to forgive and forget. Forgiveness is a personal prerogative of every person, but it has nothing to do with whether the State will prosecute.

Presumably you will have an attorney who will give you sound advice. The legal issues aside, you know it is unacceptable to push anyone, regardless of your state of inebriation. I hope you will take this as a serious wake-up call, regardless what happens with any charges. You can change the bad course your life is taking, but only if you are willing to do the work.

Good luck, I hope you seize the opportunity to make those changes.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The new member who started this thread...has not returned to read the replies.
Thanks everyone who has shared ..
Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A lot of it may be depending on which state you live in, but domestic violence charges are very difficult to get dropped. About two years ago at a party my drunk self and my drunk roommate (I had no idea assaulting your roommate was considered domestic violence up until that point) got into an argument which led to me pushing him to the ground. At that point somebody called the cops, and I got arrested for domestic assault. My roommate, being a fellow rowdy drunk who couldn't care less about a fight, told the cops over and over he didn't want to press charges. But they said once they were called and an arrest was made, there was no throwing it out at that point, but we could try to get them to drop the charge in court.

Long story short, they didn't. I still got thirty days in jail and a big fat fine, and lost my right to own a gun for life. Domestic violence charges are hard to expunge, and I imagine it will be even harder because it was against your wife. If you have the money, get a good lawyer. Whether or not you have money, quit drinking, it will greatly help your life, your relationship with your wife, and possibly your chances at beating the charge.

I wish you the best of luck in beating your charge. I also hope that you can give up drinking and fix things with your wife. We all make mistakes, just try to learn from them.