Notices

Weird day

Old 11-20-2003, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weird day

Today has been so strange. I don't know how to explain it. When I wrote the thread earlier asking about techniques for dealing with pressure to drink during the holidays, I think I knew what the answer would be--Stay away! But it made me kind of sad--to know that I won't be able to be around certain friends and family members, etc. I know that I should be so happy that I'm finally taking care of myself, and I am happy about that. However, it's so strange to know that I just can't be in those situations anymore. Coupling that with last night's drunk dream is almost too much!
Old 11-20-2003, 01:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

OK Jenn

Here you go...Ideas for a party...

Take your own car...go late and leave early.

Ask a sober friend to join you.

Take AA phone numbers to call if you get antsy.

Get your own drink from the bartender.

Smell before you drink.

Carry around a “false” drink...7Up/lime looks like a VT.

Dance a lot.

If pestered to ‘Have One”... Diet or Meds are good excuses.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that giving up drinking was a grieving process for me. A really fabulous book is 'Drinking: A Love Story' by Caroline Knapp - a biography in which she addresses the idea that she was losing something she loved when she stopped drinking. Early on I was quite upset that there could be no more festive celebrations with wine. It felt like a real loss. But, it isn't when you compare it to what you gain!

Hugs and love,
Anna
Old 11-20-2003, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. I guess it's kind of stupid to get worked up over things like that, huh?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb No Jenn

it is a valid concern. Add your mood swings make it all worse.

Once you settle down in your sobriety ...took ne 2/3 months...the peace is awesome!!

Onward and Upward Jenn :bluerose
Old 11-20-2003, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jen,
I agree with what Carol posted with one exception. There's nothing wrong with just saying, "I don't drink!" I don't make any excuses for not drinking. I just don't drink....that's that.
Also, your post sounded like you're thinking that you can never go to a celebration and have a good time....ever again. Not true! If you're serious about staying sober, take an AA friend with you for suppport. Carrying numbers is ok but it's easy to talk oneself out of calling. Arrange some place to go(either true, or finctional)so you can leave at your leisure. Any appointment will do. "I have a prior comittment always works for me."
The Big Book tells me that I can go anywhere and do anything as long as I'm in "fit spiritual condition." Pray a lot before going and make sure you feel right about going. If you don't feel right, don't go.
Just because we stop drinking doesn't mean the world has come to an end and we have to settle for being dull and boring the rest of our lives. When we quit drinking, we just start doing what we should have been doing all along. Take a little learnin', that's all.
Have a good time and enjoy the holidays.....just do it sober.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Good words Anna darling! I too found it to be a grievance process. Saying that firm good-bye to that passionate love affair as Don S say's. ..... just bites some day's!!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Jen,

It's normal to go through a grieving process for the first few months or so of sobriety. After all, it's what you had come to know and love. When it's not there anymore, you have to find things to feel the void, and it's hard to learn to deal with the feelings of loss at first - but then, it does get easier after a while, just like getting out of a bad relationship.

PG