Notices

Anything Positive??

Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Supercrew..perfect.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Can you list any positives about your time spent with alcohol??

No I cannot. I can list endlessly about the negatives.
Alcohol does nothing and takes all.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

The first half hour always felt nice. Then the ravenous urge would take over.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The things you list as positives (mundane things seeming exciting, movies enlightening, energy, positive outlook, self esteem) are the very things alcohol insiduously took from me, and replaced with a shallow substitute that I mistook for the real thing-- Wasn't until sobriety that I realized the depth and richness that was missing in the small details of my life.

Alcohol steals Presence and Real Moments. Life.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What I viewed as a positive was the altered state of consciousness. The initial warm glow and relief from inhibitions and worries was the relief I always sought out. We all know how short lived that is and how quickly it turns on you.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Supercrew-thanks for that post. I am going to refer to it often as I sit here currently missing "those" trips, since it's the season for travel. Thanks for the reality check. Wow. Well done, my friend.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great story Super! Glad you made it home alive from that trip.

Originally Posted by gold1009 View Post
In 1 word: No

I was always a blackout drunk so I don't remember if there was anything positive or not.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AmericanGirl View Post
Drinking and all mind-altering substances had an appeal because they let me experience improved moods temporarily and artificially -- artificially and temporarily being the key words there.

And for me, at least, they were only able to do this type of magic with higher and higher doses, and their absences created a negative, until they stopped doing any magic at all and drinking was a no-win situation.
This reminds me of this video, I wont comment on my personal philosophy or experience in regards to that video, but I find it poignant...

YouTube - ‪Jung, Alcoholics Anonymous, And Drug Seeking Behaviour‬‏
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What's interesting is that the initial feeling of ecstasy, the warm glow, relief of worries and inhibitions that you get when you start on a binge or mini-bender is almost impossible to keep going with more drinking. After that wears off you continue drinking to stop the withdrawal which leaves you feeling even worse than before you started. Your chasing a very brief sense of relief that you can't recapture with more and more alcohol.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hoping this thread isn't triggering to anyone. Talking of the positives of the very thing that many of us are in a life and death battle for is inappropriate, at minimum, on a board like this.. but from reading the posts, it seems as though there's a lot of really healthy recovery here, and for that I am grateful to have read.

I remember when I was still in love with alcohol... My mind was as sick as my body was, and I didn't even know it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Supercrew I have a hundred stories like that.

I've been thinking a lot about this thread and one thing I've realized is that while I might have been having fun being a drunk idiot, in retrospect it wasn't fun for anyone else and they probably would have substituted the word idiot with a-hole.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I have nothing positive that outweighs the negative.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My positive is that I accrued a ton of great experience with being an active alcoholic, which I'm now able to turn around and use to help my fellow alcoholics get and stay sober.

GG
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Gold1009,
How far down the scale will you need to go before you awaken to the fact that the negatives of alcohol consumption (for an alcoholic) vastly outweigh any positive?

How much further do you plan to dig? Loss of family? Loss of friends? Fired from job? DUI? Financial consequences? Legal consequences? Health consequences? Jail?

Why not join all of us who are happily living sober?
Susan
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Only thing positive about alcohol is that you can use it as an antiseptic in a pinch. But drinking it brought me only misery and loss.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gold1009 View Post

um, I liked it? It went well with a lot of things...

I can look back and say I had a lot of great times in my life. I will never know if it was the alcohol that made them better... I know that I began to obsess about it, and I compulsively drank it and it ultimately created lots of heartache...

I have a lot of great times now, I don't need it to have a great time. Which makes me wonder, about all those other times...

What is the point of your question?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

What is the point of your question?
Mark..
What other reason would an alcoholic ponder this question if it were not the stepping stone to talking themselves into drinking again..I can't imagine any other reason.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Me neither... but.... I did have a period in my early recovery where I felt I needed a reason for why I drank other than alcoholism... and I wondered...did my admission of alcoholism invalidate my prior existence?

I know now that it didn't...

Mark
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

One thing I liked about Augusten Burroughs' "Dry" is that he confronts this issue head-on in the book. Yes, alcohol was a part of many great times and made us feel good, or else why would we use it so much! But like we all KNOW, it has diminishing returns. And then at some point, those returns RAPIDLY diminish, and drinking is no longer ever really for fun, just for maintenance. That is the point when you have to quit for good. You can't recapture what you once had. The end.