Notices

a new form of rebellion

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a new form of rebellion

Without going into the boring details, all of my life I've created situations for myself in which I counterbalanced success with failure, and vice versa. Just one example would be a hard-drinking punk rocker in high school who also held a job and was in the honor society.

Today I was thinking about not drinking at this stage of my life and realized that this decision also goes against the grain of what my acquaintances and business associates do. Alcohol is so ingrained in my social and business circles that abstinence is a new form of rebellion.

And that gives me comfort and resolve.

Not sure if any of you will relate, but that is my deep thought for the day.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still drink but I can relate to the extremes of success and failure you are talking about....because I am an alcoholic who yet is still a good mother, functioning member of society, lives in a upscale neighbordhood, does all the things a stay at home mom should do....yet I drink a LOT.

I admire the fact that now you view sobriety as the "rebellion" thing to do. Wish I were in your shoes. Best to you and STICK TO IT! if that is what keeps you sober....
Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me sobriety has become the new "cool thing" to do. It brings about comments from friends and family. Although it is seen as positive by most people who know my past it is still considered groundbreaking and abnormal for me.

When I go out I tend to be the person people want to talk to especially about self improvement. Basically not drinking has made me popular again. It has been truly a magical transformation, and although it isn't what others expect from me it has been positively received.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I very much understand your train of thought. I just wish I woulda been more rebellious YEARS ago.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I like it!!

There have been times when I attended events with lots of people drinking, and felt like I was going in as the Representative Ambassador For Sobriety, haha....... it's a good thing. Rebel Away!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow! That's really struck a chord for me. After growing up in a very unusual family and pursuing an art career which was definitely not what my family was expecting, I was never scared of being slightly different (my old photos of me wearing top to toe mid 18th century clothing...to the grocery store prove THAT!). But once I became a wife and mother, and spending all day cleaning and doing humdrum stuff, my rebellious side definitely got quashed. I realized that perhaps drinking to the extent I did was my stab at rebellion. Little did I know that there are many, many wives and mothers doing exactly the same, until I came on here. Hardly rebellious!

Now I believe, as you, that sobriety is my 'new' rebellion. I'm not scared of being different - heck, I even love it!! I'm not back to wearing my vintage clothing though..maybe it's time to resurrect my cloche hat and spats again....

Thanks for a great thread, it gave me a lot of food for thought.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, I can relate, great thread and some great responces, i'll leave it at that, and some Bon Jovi lyric.

"It's my life, its now or never,
I aint gonna live forever,
I just want to live while I'm alive,
It's my life!" Bon Jovi
Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha, I totally know what you're saying. I kind of relish the idea of being the guy who doesn't drink.