SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What Was Your Detox Like? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/227825-what-your-detox-like.html)

Bingen 06-22-2011 01:11 AM

Quote : So, so, so, soooooo true! And WHY do I continue to drink?!?! I can't figure it out myself. What a disgusting/lovable substance alcohol is.....

I love the way it makes me feel. I sometimes think the only thing I have to look forward to is when I can drink again. How pathetic is that?? (especially since I am married to a wonderful man, I have THE most adorable 2year old around, I am financially secure, I am fit and attractive--everything is great on the outside but something is missing on the inside)
Unquote :

Gold1009, You have described alcohol pretty well. We all can relate to it. Recently I read a book called " Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol " He has described all of us alcoholics as flies falling in trap of Pitcher Plant..Mother nature has made this plant in such a way that fly loves the juice on the top of the plant ,sees dead flies at the bottom of the plant, but still keeps thinking that I have strong wings. I can fly away anytime after I quenched my thirst with this juice.. I am not like other flies.. She never realizes that more she drinks the juice, the heavier she becomes and keeps getting trapped in the plant..Eventually ends up at bottom like other flies and becomes the food for the plant.. How sad and ironic !!!! If any one thinks that one can control alcohol later stage,,,never happens.. One is never in control with Alcohol.. It will progressively and eventually get us to the bottom of the plant... Read the book to get more idea about this phenomena.. It is a fantastic book...Alcohol is a Physical Problem which can be solved mentally.. Human body is incredible machine and can heal on its own, provided your mind allows the body to heal..

Veritas1 06-22-2011 01:17 AM

Yes, Bingen, we drink for the effect. It changes our reality. It makes things good until it stops working and hurts us and others. Then we become alcoholic, we warp our mind and body. We have mental and physical components of why we drink.

What's missing on the inside that we seek comfort from the drink?

This is something to to consider. Why we turn to the very thing that destroys us for comfort.

BooDeeRadley 06-22-2011 01:29 AM

Occasional stomach cramps (not real bad), headaches, shakes, nausea, every psychological problem magnified (paranoia, social anxiety, irritability, inability to concentrate, ridiculous insecurity, extreme loneliness/always needing someone in the room with me). I remember a feeling like there was pressure around the roots of my teeth, like from an abnormal buildup of fluid, and it was constant. It was so maddening that I really had to struggle to keep from locating a proper pair of pliers and pulling them out.

The abdominal pain, nausea, shakes and headaches went away in a few days. The teeth thing lingered for maybe a week. It took the psychological problems a few weeks to calm down. I couldn't do ANY socializing until then, without wanting to scream at the top of my lungs, and bounce around the room like a pinball.

Didn't have any hallucinations, seizures or blackouts.

I'm female, I was ~140 lbs., and had been drinking at least 12 strong beers (like bud ice) almost every night for the last year. Had been an alcoholic for ~10 years at that point.

TexasNative 06-22-2011 06:53 AM

The worst part for me when I finally stopped the 10-15 beers per day (last summer) was the emotional roller coaster. I didn't have the severe physical symptoms, just the usual sweats/shakes/irritability/insomnia...but I swear a 3 year old was emotionally stronger than I was the first few months. And I NEVER want to go through it again!! Best wishes.

TwoJacks 06-23-2011 06:18 PM

First of all, I am sorry about your dad, although a pint doesn't seem that much to me, I drank a lot more than that so of course it would.

I had mini-withdrawals every day when I drank, in the form of panic attacks. It took me a long time to realize if the booze went away so would most of my anxiety.

When I stopped completely (almost a year ago now yay), I had minor withdrawals but I also had the right medications to help me through it. If I wasn't under a doctor's supervision I think it would have been a disaster. Don't end up like your dad, I know it's hard, but the sooner you stop the happier you'll be. I never thought I'd stop, and if I can, anyone can.

GOOD LUCK.

OK I just saw that this thread is from May, so maybe the OP won't even see our posts.

CarolD 06-23-2011 06:50 PM

perhaps another member is reading and beginning their journey so its still a good thread..:yup:
The OP has not yet returned but.....I hope will soon.