Notices

Two Weeks Down!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks Down!

Today is my 14th day--I am so happy to be able to say that! I had my first "drunk dream" last night since I've been completely sober and it was so frightening to me--I was so ashamed of myself in my dream. It felt so good to wake up and know that it wasn't real.
On a different note, I was talking to my friend yesterday and I told her that I had quit drinking. She tried to tell me that I just needed to cut back. I replied with "It's different for me." I think that that made her realize that, yeah, it's okay for a lot of people to just moderate their drinking--because they can. But there are some of us who are unable to do that and it's a heck of a lot better if we just stay the heck out of the way of alcohol.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Jennifer,

Congrats on your 14th day!

I had friends tell me the same thing. Too just cut down, drink in moderation, but I knew I couldn't do that and had to quit. I tried to quit on my own twice and fell back. Today I am celebrating 30 days sober.

We can do it!!!

Anita
Old 11-20-2003, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good For You

Jennifer!!

I think AA meetings show us the support and understanding that friends can not.

Cheering you forward..
Old 11-20-2003, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super Anita..

Boogy On Down The Recovery Road

Congratulations on 30 days!!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jennifer, CONGRATS on 2 weeks sober !

I had the drunk dreams too, but they seem to be over now (16 days sober today

My ex husband said the other day "oh, you plan on quitting drinking forever" I said..well yeah thats the plan. I realized he only thought I was going to stop for awhile or "cut back"
I think only another alcoholic that is not in denial can really understand whats its like, but its great you have friend that you can talk and be honest with!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey ! CONGRATULATIONS!!! ((((((Jennifer)))))))) and (((((nohiogal))))) ! Amazing stuff !!!!!

Gee ! it just seems like yesterday that I met you all!

Oh! I remember the drunk dreams ! I think it was day 12 for me , I was soooo scared ! I think I burned up the boards that morning, and was so relieved to know , that it was " normal"

Well, " normal" from our point of view , I am sure the rest of the world , would not rejoice in the fact , that todream you are pissed as a newt , is " normal" lol

But then, we are unique !

Onward and upward ladies !

One day at a time !

HUGXX
Lee
Old 11-20-2003, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job jennifer and noihiogal and anita!

I'm hangin' in there with y'all at 3 weeks today. I haven't had the "drunk" dreams - yet (that I remember anyway). But I'm certainly not holding my breath. I've been sleeping better most nights, but still feel sleepy during the day sometimes. But I cna think a lot more clearly than before. Do you notice that also?

I think it's good you told your friend that you've decided to stop. I haven't been that courageous yet. Probably soon though, I'm feeling more comfortable about it.

Keep it up!
Jay
Old 11-20-2003, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've talked about this with my DH and my one friend. I haven't said anything to anyone else yet--I figure that they'll probably figure it out on their own over the holidays when Jennifer's not slammed and making an a$$ out of herself as was always the case before! The people that I'm most worried about dealing with this are my parents--both alcoholics in denial. I know that they'll try to convince me that I'm not an alcoholic and that drinking is just our family's way of socializing--HA! At any rate, I know that I'm strong enough to not be swayed by them, but I'm not looking forward to the awkwardness all the same.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Carol!!

Way to go Jayhay and nohiogal...!!

Jayhay, I have been sleeping a lot better than I used too and thinking more clearly each day. Isn't it something when you realize what a fog we were in. Oh and feeling so much better in the morning and actually doing something productive. I do still get kind of sleepy at work during the day and have catnapped at my desk. oops! Haven't got caught yet! lol Each day is getting better though.

Take Care,

Anita
Old 11-20-2003, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hats off to you sobers' here. Hey isnt it funny how some people dont want problem drinkers to stop? When Im not drinking lots of friends say weird crap like "When you go back try to moderate" or "Whos filling your head with the idea you are an alcoholic" or even "dude,I drink more than you and Im far from alcoholic". Guess they just dont get it.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Patrick said:"...Guess they just dont get it."

No, they don't unfortunately. I didn't get it either until I went to counseling and meetings. I still fantasize about maybe one day being able to "moderate." Operative word is 'fantisize' - deep down I know this is not ever going to happen.

Jay
Old 11-20-2003, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Keep On Keeping On !
Old 11-21-2003, 02:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer,

congrats on your sober time!

I got that a lot too at the start of my sobriety. Not so much now as I guess people have just accepted that I don't drink anymore and gotten used to the fact.

At first some family members tried to tell me that I wasn't alcoholic, that I just needed to cut down or maybe take a break for a while. Its amazing how many people thought that I went to AA to learn how to drink sensibly!

I guess people just don't like change and also for me it was a bit of pity on some people's part. When I told them I was an alcoholic, I think they felt sorry for me so tried to tell me I wasn't. Trying to explain that I was glad to be in recovery wasn't working either, some people just don't get it.

Anyway, I don't get that much anymore.

Amy
Old 11-21-2003, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer, I am getting to this a little
late so, I hope your 14 days have been extended. That is a great accomplishment.
Keep up the great work and keep posting. Don W