Notices

Relationships ending due/in part due to alcohol.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Matt M

Relationships ending due/in part due to alcohol.

I assume quite a few of you have been through broken relationships due or partly in due to your alcohol problems?

My last girlfriend I was with for a few years and she was great, someone I really loved. Yet in the second year I still found that i'd leave her in bed in the morning and take a few cans downstairs to watch TV whilst she slept.
Now I just think why??
I know we often only realise how good we had things when they're gone, but I was happy then so it made no sense.

We split up over a year ago and i've tried to kid myself it was over a certain text message I saw on her phone, but it was really down to the extreme paranoia that alcohol abuse caused me to have after that.
As a result of that I ended up cheating on her and the end soon came.
Amazingly we are still on speaking terms and she has said she supports me with trying to fight the alcoholism, and whenever I text her in really rough times she is there.
Unlike my other ex who doesn't want to know at all!

I also had a couple of what I thought were really good friends disappear around the time I went into hospital. That had nothing to do with alcohol, but they just went, which is very disappointing, but I guess you find out who you really can rely on when things hit rock bottom.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

well...
along my way in life...I've have lovers and friends come and go for various reasons.
That does not mean we were not bonded at some point...it simply means people change and grow in and out of each others paths.

Gee...I've had 7 very important men in my lifetime...none who I contact now...but I sure have fond memories....
I noticed one thing ...the guys I found interesting and attractive as a drinker? not so when I sobered up.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Relationships do come and go...some you hang on to throughout the years, others you don't...it's really just life...I learned to let things go, and not hang on to the past...or rather live in the past...hanging on to what was...or what you would like them to be is just torture...Cherish the people who are with you now..and enjoy them, and embrace the journey you are on....
Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

A reason, A season, A lifetime....

Google it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
I also had a couple of what I thought were really good friends disappear around the time I went into hospital. That had nothing to do with alcohol, but they just went, which is very disappointing, but I guess you find out who you really can rely on when things hit rock bottom.
I lost some friends when I quit drinking too, but I just remember to have compassion for them -- I don't think they were abandoning me, I think the fact that I was no longer drinking made their own drinking issues more noticeable than they were comfortable with. Plus, it turns out that sadly, when we weren't drinking together, we had a lot less things to talk about...

GG
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Twelve steps speaks the truth..at least I really do believe that. I do think that people come into our lives for a reason. No one stays the same forever. Just keep the fond memories and try to let go of the rest..