Notices

Why we drink...

Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why we drink...

Do you ever wonder about the mystery of addiction? I mean trying to figure out why a person who has been through the wringer with alcohol will go back and do the same thing over and over again. I almost have to believe that the brain of an active addict gets altered in such a way that the desire for the substance overpowers the logical part that knows what the end result will be. This would explain the so called blank spots that allow an otherwise sane person to engage in the insanity of addiction.

The disease of addiction seems to be an equal opportunity destroyer. It dosen't care about your education level, employment status, age, sex, religious beliefs, financial status etc. etc. It will take your life and disassemble it piece by piece regardless of who you are. Observers of the process are often in a state of disbelief as they watch the victim self destruct.

Helping the afflicted who aren't ready to accept help is an exercise in futility. Trying to advise a person who isn't ready to surrender to go to a meeting or call their Doctor is like beating your head against a brick wall. Many of us have first hand experience with this as either the victim of addiction or the person trying to help.

So then the million dollar question seems to be; what makes a person "READY"? We would all probably agree that it takes a change in our thought process but then why does it take some of us decades of drinking to realize and implement whatever it is that brings about that change?

What seems even harder to understand is why people relapse after many years of sobriety. Does the "Change in thought process" somehow get undone just like that? Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

I have no answers but I love the questions! I have had lots of the same questions in my mind lately. It is amazing that people keep using even with significant consequences, and it is amazing to me that anyone stops.

I think addiction comes from genetics, past trauma/pain, exposure to the chemicals, and social reinforcement. Different people could have very different causes of addiction.

I do like the idea of raising people's bottoms (the concept of helping people see the consequences of their drinking in order to encourage them to quit sooner with fewer consequences).

I agree that addicts' brains probably get altered such that drinking/using makes more sense to them. There are studies that suggest alcohol acts differently on an alcoholics brain (more rewards).

I was sober and not thinking about alcohol for over a decade. So I am shocked at how much I want alcohol over the past year.

There is so much that we don't know.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was told it's a combo of nurture and nature.

I know some people struggle with the idea that it's a disease but I use that so I can use the tool of AA to treat my disease.

I try not to pick it apart too much, but to do what others have said has worked.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Because I liked the effect produced by alcohol. I am at dis ease that is to say I am not at ease with myself, with life, and with reality. Take a few drinks of alcohol and I feel at ease with myself, with life and with reality. I feel right.

Wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't alcoholic. I've observed drinkers, like family members. It seems they drink for similar reasons. Party time, good time, alcohol loosens them up and they relax. They can do it, they're not alcoholic. They manage and control their drinking. I go past the point of being "at ease" and relaxed to insanely drunk as the physical reaction demands I continue to drink against my will - actually without any thought at all - just mindlessly drinking. When times are "bad" it seems they drink to take a bit of the edge off, relax, get some perspective - and they do. Once again, were I to do that, I'd cross over the relaxed stage into insanely drunk and actually lose perspective on things (if I had it to begin wiith).
Old 05-22-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
... why a person who has been through the wringer with alcohol will go back and do the same thing over and over again. I almost have to believe that the brain of an active addict gets altered in such a way that the desire for the substance overpowers the logical part that knows what the end result will be. This would explain the so called blank spots that allow an otherwise sane person to engage in the insanity of addiction.
I heard an addictionologist give a talk and he said "100% of his patients have a blown insight circuit that prevents them from connecting the dots between their illness and themselves".
Old 05-22-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its really obvious to me now why i started drinking and that was to self medicate...

Being an alcoholic ensured that i kept on drinking when i didn't want to and made sure that i returned to alcohol after periods of abstinence.

Until i tackled the reasons why i felt why i needed to use alcohol to change me in the first place, understanding why i was physically different to non-alcoholics and the nature of the addiction/illness there was no way i was going to stay sober long...

I found the answers to the questions in AA and a real workable solution to the problem whereas before all i found was talk and BS advice...
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to medicate depression and anxiety but drinking only made it worse. Now that I'm sober my depression and anxiety are much better, more manageable, and my meds for those conditions actually helps.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post!

On one level, it may be like a perfect storm - physical, mental and emotional elements that come together and create the perfect circumstances for addiction.

On another level, I believe alcoholism is a spiritual vehicle/path that teaches us things we couldn't learn otherwise.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

Do you ever wonder about the mystery of addiction? I mean trying to figure out why a person who has been through the wringer with alcohol will go back and do the same thing over and over again. I almost have to believe that the brain of an active addict gets altered in such a way that the desire for the substance overpowers the logical part that knows what the end result will be. This would explain the so called blank spots that allow an otherwise sane person to engage in the insanity of addiction.

The disease of addiction seems to be an equal opportunity destroyer. It dosen't care about your education level, employment status, age, sex, religious beliefs, financial status etc. etc. It will take your life and disassemble it piece by piece regardless of who you are. Observers of the process are often in a state of disbelief as they watch the victim self destruct.

Helping the afflicted who aren't ready to accept help is an exercise in futility. Trying to advise a person who isn't ready to surrender to go to a meeting or call their Doctor is like beating your head against a brick wall. Many of us have first hand experience with this as either the victim of addiction or the person trying to help.

So then the million dollar question seems to be; what makes a person "READY"? We would all probably agree that it takes a change in our thought process but then why does it take some of us decades of drinking to realize and implement whatever it is that brings about that change?

What seems even harder to understand is why people relapse after many years of sobriety. Does the "Change in thought process" somehow get undone just like that? Any thoughts?
great post man.. i guess it's why A.A. defines the affliction as cunning, baffling and powerful huh? i only "Know" for me that i could drink again. all too easily.. it is something i have to live with for the rest of my days. A.A. has helped me very much with rebuilding my life in a positive sober way..
Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did return to drinking after my decision to quit...and simply could not understand why

until I read "Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham in '89.

While not all of the info there applied to me...the part about how my
body and brain no longer processed alcohol correctly certainly rang my bell..

I re connected to God and AA..began working my Steps....and have not had another drink.

I started drinking because I thought it was sophisticated and party goers did it.
I kept drinking...until all the fun bottles were empty....still I drank.
Thats when I consider I was an active alcoholic.

I Hope everyone finds the joy of recovery....
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have an easy answer to part of the complicated question. I read alot of posts on here about the next mornings and hangovers. AND why do we do this to ourselves if we know the consequences? But the sad truth is, when you are as a good of an alcoholic as I was, you don't get hungover all that much. I had functioned fine for 15 years, 6 days a week at the same job. I was drinking a liter of vodka a day, but eating well.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As said a perfect storm of factors helped me become an alcoholic. I honestly believe the desire was removed by God but to stay sober means I have to work on myself.

That's it in a nutshell for me
Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I could never pinpoint why I was insatiable when it comes to alcohol. I grew up in a crazy environment ..I never knew it until I saw how other families lived. I come from a long line of drinkers too...so I wasn't born with much to work with that is for sure!!! I really don't ponder the whys...I am just happy to be sober now..
Old 05-22-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What made me ready? In a nut shell, 25 years of drinking, getting sick of it and making a decision to stop. Now I have stopped and feel so good I have no desire to go back to it. Funny when I was drinking giving up seemed so complicated and difficult
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I grew up around parents who drank...and it always looked like "fun" the grown up thing to do I guess, so by the time I was 13 I was drinking....and it carried on until the heavy consequences out did the "fun" factor.....
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wasn't ready to quit drinking, I didn't plan on quitting- no one was trying to get me to quit; but after surviving a serious suicide attempt that I didn't even remember I decided to quit. When I first decided to quit I don't think I was thinking forever I was just thinking until my liver healed... I think if I ever relapse it will be because I think "I can have just 1, just 1 won't hurt me". I ran into an old boyfriend last week, I hadn't seen him in 2 yrs, we parted as friends, I have seen him a couple of times since getting sober and within 5 minutes of seeing him last week he asked me if I wanted to get together for a drink...I said "I don't drink" and he said something like "still?" .... he was not someone that drank alot and didn't think I had a problem so I guess he just didn't get it...I haven't dated in the nearly 4 yrs I've been sober because I'm very introverted and shy--alcohol got me out my shell and at times I think I could/should drink to get over my social anxiety I just have to remind myself "drinking is not an option" and if I forget hopefully someone will be around to remind me
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Why did I drink?

Just read my signature.

It's really that simple.

(but then that SOB turned on me and life got real bad)

Kjell~
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

If you had asked me why I drank during the 30+ years that I drank, I would have replied "To feel good".

The truth was, I drank because it was the only way I knew "To feel normal".
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. It sounds so simple to do doesn't it? I just recently went on a four day binge and regretted it after the first drink. After about two weeks my brain was telling me to modify the drinking (like trying to eat more, drink more water while drinking) that I could enjoy it next time. I can't explain the inner craving my mind has for the alcohol. It surely is baffling and cunning...

Last edited by blessedgardner; 05-23-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I heard an addictionologist give a talk and he said "100% of his patients have a blown insight circuit that prevents them from connecting the dots between their illness and themselves".
I think there is some truth to this. From my experience, my processing breaks down. It becomes polluted, especially when I am not vigilant about my own thinking. There are times to this day that I can still view my drinking in a positive light. That somehow I can still find pleasure inside the bottle, which is a complete schism from reality.