Notices

Alcohol..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done!

The fact that you carried yourself the way you did in that "nobody is looking" moment truly says a lot about your commitment, and it truly inspires me. That is often the deal breaker in a lot of people's quests; I tip my cap to you! Keep up the good work! It feels good to be going into the 6th day, doesn't it?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi PapaNico!

Thank you for saying that :-D It was tempting because I was alone with my feelings, but I just thought how much worse I would feel waking up hungover, probably having texted someone ridiculous messages, and having all the alcohol calories sitting on my hips. I had a really good sober day today and enjoyed the company of my family more than i have in a while. Tomorrow is day 6...only 2 hours away. These first days feel like they are moving slowly. I am hoping as more time goes by drinking won't even cross my mind or be part of any thought processes of ways to deal with emotions. I plan to start AA on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Hope everyone's day went well.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was at a family function at around 4 months sober. Eating some oysters and beef bbq, drinking a soda and enjoying myself.

I look up and there before me was a pitcher. Beautiful, condensation slowly forming and dripping down the sides, and inside that beautiful golden amber bubbly nectar we call BEER.

I couldn't wish it away, the desire. Raw oysters, hot sauce, and beer ? That used to be like heaven. It was all around me. I had to leave the hall for a minute, made a phone call to a number I knew in the fellowship there was no answer. But something happened between the time I got up to the time I hung up the phone after leaving a message on my buddy's voicemail. The desire left, the desire for the desire left, the feeling of lacking something because I "couldn't" left. There was peace and a sense of - hey I can do this.

With help.

OH!!! I have another story about a Champagne Toast. If you don't mind.

I was the best man at a wedding. It was on a beach, it was hot. I told the wedding coordinator I needed ginger ale instead of champagne. She got me one. But it was too soon, the toast time wasn't there. I drank the one because I was thirsty and ordered another.

By the time I got to the toast, I had drank three or four ginger ales out of champagne flutes. I remember thinking to myself, "These people are going to think I'm alcoholic" . Followed immediately by the though "Hahahah, you idiot, you ARE an alcoholic that's why you're drinking ginger ale instead of champagne - order another".

I was about 9 months sober. Went to a meeting in the area we were at the next day and some lady came up to me and said "You were the best man at the wedding". I said "Yep, how'd you know".

"Because they kept ordering ginger ale for the best man, I was wondering if he was a Friend of Bill, so I looked and saw you".

I don't know I thought it was pretty cool. One of those "coincidences" type things.

Congrats and Best of Luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can relate a lot to your post with the isolation but wanting friendships yet still drinking. I also put on weight from all the drinking but am slowly getting my energy back. Congrats on deciding to get sober!