Notices

The End of the World... would you?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

No one can honestly answer this question because you don't know what you would do if the real thing happened. We don't know what we are capable of doing until we are truly in that situation. Let's rephrase the question.......If you know for certain a nuclear bomb is headed directly towards your city and for whatever reason, there is a bottle of booze sitting on a table next to you, would you drink it? I don't worry about the answer to that question......I just stay sober one day at a time. And if truth be told, I probably would. But I probably wouldn't ........ who really knows? And until I am sitting at a table with a random bottle of booze waiting for a nuclear bomb, I really won't know. But I do know I am sober now......and that's pretty sweet
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Great question.

The last thing, I'd want to be in my last moments, is a selfish, pathetic drunk.

I'm of no help to anyone when I'm drinking and what a selfish act that would be.

No, I would not drink.

Kjell~
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'd want to see everything that happens like if the skies open up and people start getting pulled into the heavens or down into the depths of the earth I'd want to see it all and alcohol always made me black out and so I'd miss it so no I don't think I'd drink.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Nope.Never.That will never change no matter what.

Look at the answers given...insightfull.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Well, you might as well ask "if you knew you were going to die today, would you have a drink"?

The last time I saw my grandfather alive, he was on his deathbed sipping beer from a straw. A lifetime alcoholic. Not a great way to be remembered, though we all loved him just the same.

Just a sense.... of wasted potential.... of unnecessary dysfunction.

That said, one drink at rapture is hardly going to undo a meaningfully long life in sobriety. But maybe it depends on just how much damage each of us did to our loved ones and our bodies when we were on the bottle.

Personally, I think I'd want -- and then regret -- a nice pour of 18-year-old scotch. S*** tastes horrible after you've been away from it for a good long while.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

That said, one drink at rapture is hardly going to undo a meaningfully long life in sobriety.
actually for me it would, bookpunk.

D
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by shantra32 View Post
No one can honestly answer this question because you don't know what you would do if the real thing happened. We don't know what we are capable of doing until we are truly in that situation. Let's rephrase the question.......If you know for certain a nuclear bomb is headed directly towards your city and for whatever reason, there is a bottle of booze sitting on a table next to you, would you drink it? I don't worry about the answer to that question......I just stay sober one day at a time. And if truth be told, I probably would. But I probably wouldn't ........ who really knows? And until I am sitting at a table with a random bottle of booze waiting for a nuclear bomb, I really won't know. But I do know I am sober now......and that's pretty sweet
During the Cold War with Russia I lived on ground Zero In D.C. meaning yes Zap...you are now an ash.
I kept an expensive bottle of Cognac...just in case...but kept drinking it so had to replace it often....

So...the Cold War was over...I still lived on ground zero...and continued to drinkThe booze was more important than dying in those sad days.
With AA recovery...I no longer wish to saturate my brain. .

there is a older book and movie....'On The Beach" you might find interesting....keep the tissues handy...
Author was Neville shute (sp. ?) ,,takes place in Austrailia ..excellect acting especially by Ava gardner and Fred Astair.

Last edited by CarolD; 05-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
there is a older book and movie....'On The Beach" you might find interesting....keep the tissues handy...
Author was Neville shute.
I wondered if someone would mention that book. If I remember, some chose to drink, others not.

Speaking of Ground Zero my father, a senior scientist whom I greatly admire was offered a place in the government bunker should the day come. He refused, saying he would rather be with his family.

I'd hope to make the same choice - sober and with loved ones. Alas, in my current state I'd probably find myself in the nearest pub. It's time to get sober, for good.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babez View Post
I wouldn't.If it really were judgment day tomorrow I would want a clear head to think with,and to be able to be there for my children.Alcohol would do nothing but make things worse.Always has.

Exactly, I (believe) I'd just like to meet my maker in a tranquil state of mind.