Notices

Trying to put my life back together (sober)

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to put my life back together (sober)

Hi All,

I read it all here before, seen it happen to others - and never thought it would happen to me. I have one month sober but I really left it too late to sober up. My marriage is over, I face financial ruin and my job's on the skids.

The only thing keeping me going now is my little girl but even the guilt I feel for how I've wrecked her life in the process is eating me up.

Most days I just think "get on with it" "things will improve" but I just feel like giving up sometimes.

How do you get through it?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

It took me time to get things sorted out...to find my way to improve my future.
To begin...I re connected to God and the AA program...

All my best to you and your daughter...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks darklight,

It just good to feel there's some hope. I know i'm suffering a case of the "poor me" but I just have to feel it i suppose.

I have entered a recovery program and am meeting people just when i shut the front dooe sometimes everything just overwhelmes me you know? All this has happened so fast I can't quite believe it but at the same time it's been creeping up for years.

I want to get through this sober and come out the other side. I want it more than anything. Just feel really down tonight and needed a kind word so thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Verity-

By the time I got sober, I was bankrupt in all my affairs.

Let's see...

Lost my career job as a manager where I traveled - check
Two duis - check
Lost relationships with some good women - check
Poor relationships with my family - check
In debt (bars and coke will do that do ya) - check

...and it goes on and on with even a few deaths sprinkled in there in early sobriety.

I'm still working through the consequences and will be for years, but...I finally stopped making new problems. I'm making headway, slowly, but it's there and solid.

We can recovery no matter what.

I'm living proof, but you can be too.

AA removed the obession to drink and gave me a design for living I desperatly needed, but my ego wouldn't allow me to even consider while drinking.

Maybe it's time to let go of some old ideas?

Kjell~
Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can also totally relate. My last relapse destroyed my relationship with my partner, I lost my kids and my newborn, I was up for my 2nd DUI, lost friends, family etc and I felt like committing suicide.........for me life was not worth living and I believe had I not been in rehab I would have not made it and here I agree with everyone else. It is never to late to change some can just get it quicker, but you do need the support of a group, be it AA or D&A group work, rehab, a psychiatrist or counsellor.... and of course people who understand other addicts...... My Best advise is to Take it one Day at a Time. Since none of us know what tomorrow can bring.....
Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know Sidney. It just seems for the past month each day is bringing more and more problems my way. Just as soon as I feel I'm getting on top of things something else I neglected while drunk comes back to bite me on the ass

I do find my groups a great help most of the time but I find it hard to talk about my feelings. I know i'll just have to accept whatever comes as the price to pay for the way I've lived my life and try to deal with it as best I can. It's just really hard right now. Suppose that's what comes of avoiding reality for too long
Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Focus on your baby girl. When you feel like you don't have the strength, focus on her. Don't beat yourself up and take it one day at a time. That is all you can do. Anything more is too overwhelming.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I sorry things are so overwhelming right now. I hope you can share some of this with your AA group - it's so important that you have support right now and you never know what someone in the group might say that will really help you out.

Make a list of things you can do (talk to boss, call the bank, look into bankruptcy, government help, or whatever) and start chipping away.

When I was facing losing my home and couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, one thing that really helped was stopping to think about what I had to be grateful for (my children were healthy, had enough food for the day, I was sober, etc.).

Hang in there - as long as we're sober, things can only get better.......