Notices

Quitting Cold Turkey after 4 years?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Cold Turkey after 4 years?

Hello,
I have been getting drunk virtually every single night for the last 4 years, but I would like to stop. Generally what I've done is after a day of work, I'll come home and drink a lot, fast, so I am usually drunk within just a couple hours. I hear both sides that quiting cold turkey can be very dangerous, but also that it is possible. Recently, I started trying to not drink on some nights. It seemed to work fine and I could go a night or two in a row without a single drink. My longest dry streak was 4 days. However, within the past couple of days, I've started to feel like something is wrong with my body. I often feel a lot of pressure in my chest and head. I also find it very hard to sleep at night when I don't drink, even taking Tylenol PM or the like. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

Also, I am curious about what the consequences would be of entering a treatment program? I am very nervous to do so because I am at a good job and do not want to lose it nor its benefits.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you to anyone in advance for your help.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best advice would be to see a Doctor. If you're not that bad he might just prescribe something to ease the withdrawal symptoms but only a medical professional can make that determination.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

See your DR.

That's what I did and she recommended that I go to a facility to be monitored, but I was stubborn and did it on my own. It was after about 4 or 5 years without missing a beat, like yourself. I was downing 15-18 beers a night, and stopped just like that. Even had a fresh 30 pack in the fridge when I did so.

It was pure hell. Shakes, sweats, jumping out of skin at night, heart pounding through my chest, room spinning, utter insanity. Some of the scariest sh*t I have ever experienced in my life. I should have listened and went somewhere to get monitored like I was asked, but the stubbornness in me wanted to finish on my own,w hat I started on my own.

Withdrawals can be extremely dangerous and its best not to take any chances, if I could go back I would have surely taken my DR's advice and went to be monitored. Those were some hellish nights.

Different things happen to different people, but always seek professional medical advice when dealing with an issue like this.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That pressure in your chest and head that you describe could be dangerously high blood pressure like what I had... Thats why everyone including myself will HIGHLY suggest you do not attempt it without a doctor.. People talk about seizures all the time but that might not be the worst.. A stroke or heart attack is just as likely..

Good luck! And you can do quit! No reason to hurt yourself even more doing it.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit cold turkey after 20 years of steady drinking, I did it by myself at home. Probably the stupidest thing I have ever done (except drinking for 20 years), it was horrible. I won't go into the ugly details but please go see your doctor, they have the knowledge to be able to help detox safely and more comfortably.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please read the top sticky post....and Yes seeing your doctor is always wise.
Please keep posting...many of us are winning over alcohol...
so can you.

here is the link to the sticky...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

There is a difference between short term de tox facilties and long term treatment centers.
De tox is usually 3 or so days in duration...look at our experiences in that thread.
Your doctor can explain what your next step needs to be.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Go to a doctor.

Or the ER.

Detox only last a week or so. Don't do it alone.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Matt M

Chest pressure etc not a good sign, do it the right way.
I tried cold turkey and had seizures and ended up in hospital, so do it the right way.