Notices

So Tired

Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
So Tired

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but anybody else find theirself extremely tired when they first quit drinking? I should have been keeping a diary, but for at least the first few days I had a lot of energy that I wasn't used to having while drinking, but for several days now, I find myself totally exhausted. I'm eating healthy and taking B-vitamins. I want that energy back that I had the first week!

I know alcohol is a depressant but it always gave me the "kick start" I needed to do things I didn't feel up to doing (only to end up with it getting half done) I am in no way looking for an excuse to drink, just wondered if anybody had some suggestions on how to gain some energy. I know excersize is supposed to help, but can't even bring myself to go for a walk! Some days I'm tired all day long, while others I'll have small bursts of energy, and then feel fatigued. I'm confused

Day 11 for me though...wow...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coffee?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was normal for me...I was tired right from the get go though.
Congratulations on your progress

D
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
@ Dee Thanks! How long before it goes away?
@erikm02 Do you mean I shuld drink more coffee, or cut back?

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it varies from person to person sandollar - if you're not feeling better in a couple of weeks - or you're really concerned now - I'd see my Dr.

Personally, I wouldn't make too much use of coffee either - common sense things like eating right and a little gentle exercise can do wonders

D
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After I got through detox I went through a tired period myself, mine lasted about a week. I would go to bed early, sleep in and just generally dragged throughout the day. I concentrated on eating right, exercise and sleep. I figured if my body was asking for it I must have needed it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going on Day 48 and I am constantly tired. The weather here is not cooperating either (unseasonably cold and rainy). I obey my body and go to bed when my housework and mommy stuff is done.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had two weeks of the tireds.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not to scare you but I was tired and ill for the first 6 months or so. I caught everything going around and was a physical wreck.

I learned how to be gentle with myself and I learned patience. They might have been the two most important lessons s I learned early on.

Everyone is different...Listen to your body and give it what it needs....you've put it through hell so cut it some slack
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 3 weeks sober now and I'm often physically tired too. It can change in an instance though, if I force myself to go for a walk or do something else.

Congrats on day 11!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are in early sobriety, recovery takes time. Sleep is good.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself...and remember this too shall pass!! I was exhausted most days in the early part of recovery....A nice brisk walk helps clear the cobwebs...even if you may not feel like it... All the best!!