SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Could have had two weeks today (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/227038-could-have-had-two-weeks-today.html)

sleepie 05-14-2011 09:10 AM

Could have had two weeks today

I was SO happy and proud of myself, I worked so hard to have two weeks. Then I had some kombuchas this week and I had 2 yesterday, now I guess I have to start over because there is alcohol in it, i feel like a pile of s*** and I am extremely depressed over this, all that work for nothing, I had nightmares all last night about my parents again. Today was supposed to be great and instead it's just another disappointment nothing EVER goes right for me.:c021::headbange

SASA 05-14-2011 09:14 AM

don't see it as disappointment. You made it 2 weeks, you can do it again. See it this way you only drank1 day out of 15 that is pretty good isn't it?

Fandy 05-14-2011 09:25 AM

i think you are being a little overdramatic. move on, it was just an error.

MsCooterBrown 05-14-2011 09:28 AM

^^^^^Ditto^^^^

SASA 05-14-2011 09:28 AM

actually I just read your other message, if it was an error and you did not know, this would make today day 15..... No need to reset your date

iliveforyou 05-14-2011 10:18 AM

I agree, it was a genuine mistake, I wouldn't consider changing my date in your shoes. I am so sorry that you are beating yourself up over this, but I really do not think the last 2 weeks have been a waste at all.

-Jess

Zebra1275 05-14-2011 11:19 AM

Well, I don't know what kombuchas are, but I'm guessing it's a food prepared with alcohol. If so, cut yourself some slack.

Mark75 05-14-2011 11:48 AM

I wouldn't be changing my date... As long as I was not drinking it to get a buzz... But that's not the issue, as I see it. If you are building your Recovery on days sober... Well, look how this whole thing is owning you...

Count your progress in recovery in how you break through denial, and whether you are understanding yourself and others, and in how much you want this...

:)

BHF 05-14-2011 12:25 PM

This post is meant to be helpful/suggestive...not critical.

If I were in your position and could step back an look at the situation with a sense of clarity, I would ask myself, what have I lost due to the ingestion of those drinks? Did I get drunk and act a fool? Did I get arrested? Looking back on it, knowing afterwards that they contained alcohol, how did they affect my serenity/peace of mind at the time that I drank them? From what I can tell by your multiple posts over this issue, you didn't have any problems until you later discovered that they contained alcohol? Therefore, drinking them didn't affect any level of serenity that you may have had. Do as you will with your sobriety date...that's just a ceremonial date for your benefit anyway.

If I were experiencing the grief/stress that you exhibit after the fact, I would focus on what is going on there? I am trying to view this as a failure and therefore an excuse to go out and really drink? Am I simply looking for a way/reason to vent frustrations for other issues?

I view your situation the same as this hypothetical situation. "Last night I became violently ill with a high temperature and couldn't stop coughing. I was at a friend's house and they offered me advil and cough syrup. I specifically asked if the cough syrup was alcohol-free and informed yes. I took it and eventually quit coughing. This morning I woke up, none the worse for the cough syrup, and found the bottle of Nyquil, which was not alcohol free. My friend either misled me or was incorrect." No harm done. Is this not essentially the same as your situation?

CarolD 05-14-2011 01:54 PM

It's up to you how or if you count the days....the important thing
is to continue to move forward......:yup

Well done on your sober time...:funjump::

mikefreak 05-14-2011 01:58 PM

You're going to have fits & starts, Sleepie. you'll have to get up a lot of times after you get knocked down, but get up YOU MUST. Start a new streak- see if you can go longer this time. CONTINIOUS IMPROVEMENT is SOMETHING. I know how you feel right now. Bless your heart...................Think you are being a little hard on yourself. A HANGOVER is something to be bummed about- not this.

Sudz No More 05-14-2011 06:02 PM

I agree with most here Sleepie, you are being too hard on yourself. I think alot of us place too much on "the date" rather than focusing on sober living as a whole. YOu are doing fine, just keep going in the direction you want to go.

OklaBH 05-14-2011 06:12 PM

Whoa whoa whoa! Why are you changing your date? This isn't a tea you drink to get drunk. I've had rum cake, cough syrup and veggies sauted in cooking wine...its the purpose...I didn't change my sobriety date over it.

sleepie 05-14-2011 10:29 PM

Well... I went to work tonight and drank a kombucha while I was there and thought, "I am certainly not getting drunk at work on this tea!" So, I have decided not only to continue enjoying kombucha from time to time but I am also keeping my sober date as is. Kombucha does not get me drunk, make me black out, or kill loads of brain cells. I am sure it's not nearly as harmful to my body as a cocktail. I think that considering I have quit drinking, quit caffeine and recently gotten off anti depressants I could be doing a lot worse! And to those of you who demeaned my concerns by telling me I'm dramatic- that's not helpful and you are on ignore :yup: I don't treat the concerns of others here as trivial- I hope compassion enters your heart someday soon so that you don't either.

In summation: TWO WEEKS FOR ME!!! YAY!

I am now going to watch "The Rescuers" like the kid I never got to be and enjoy these delicious and solitary late night hours :)

And now begins day 15! :funjump:

BHF 05-14-2011 11:05 PM

And to those of you who demeaned my concerns by telling me I'm dramatic- that's not helpful and you are on ignore I don't treat the concerns of others here as trivial- I hope compassion enters your heart someday soon so that you don't either.

I just reread the entire thread above, and to the best of my memory, the word overdramatic was used once and not in a demeaning manner. Also, no one trivialized your concerns regarding the issue.

I would advise you not to CONTINUE drinking a beverage that you now know contains alcohol....but I'm probably on ignore anyhow, so....

sleepie 05-14-2011 11:09 PM

BHF is on ignore... sorry- I forgot to mention it! And Ms. Cooter Brown so you don't all waste your time responding to my threads. Best of luck in your sober journeys.

MrDavid 05-14-2011 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarolD (Post 2967996)
It's up to you, sleepie, no matter how you count the days....the important thing is to continue moving forward......regardless.

Well done on your sober time...:funjump::

Amen...It's time to move on -period. You have so much to offer and one slip (or not) doesn't have any bearing on future events. We suggest you part ways with all those other maladies which can deter you from future successes and discover you're true potential under the sober realms of lasting sobriety.

~God bless~

:ring

sleepie 05-14-2011 11:47 PM

I'm not considering it a slip... did you read my posts or just that one? I've made my decision regarding the kombucha :)

CatFry 05-14-2011 11:53 PM

I think you made the right decision. I think everyone here does. Congrats on day 15!!!!

: )

Dee74 05-15-2011 03:04 AM

I wouldn't be doing you any favours if I didn't say this - I hope you'll take my post in the supportive and caring spirit in which it's intended....

I'm disappointed you've decided to stick with the brewed tea sleepie - even tho you know it is alcoholic now.

I think it makes recovery harder - especially early recovery - when we dabble with alcoholic drinks... no matter how little alcohol is in them...

but like you say... it's your decision.

D